So this is my story: I smoked a blunt a few weeks back that led me to an experience I’d never had before; I saw everything in slow-motion and almost had a panic attack. This experience scared me quite a bit and I would feel panicky even when I wasn’t high... so I decided to try to smoke weed in Amsterdam again to get rid of this irrational fear. I went to the Bulldog (coffee shop), bought a strain of weed called the "White Widow” and smoked (I think more than I should have). I took several puffs in less than 10 minutes. This is where things get really scary... the feeling of being “high” wouldn’t go away. The next day, I still felt like everything was in slow-mo... I even went to a cannabis informational center to see if they could help me with this problem. I was scared that I would be stuck in this dream-like state forever. The guys at the informational center told me that the THC was out of my system and that what I was experiencing was probably all in my mind but I didn’t really believe them. How can seeing everything in slow-mo be all in my mind? I haven’t had a history of psychosis or anything but it scares me to think that I would develop something like that due to smoking weed, a so-called “harmless” drug. Anyways, it’s been more than a week since this happened and I’m not seeing everything in slow-motion anymore but I still feel sort of weird. Especially when I wake-up after a nap or after I get off my computer. I can’t stop thinking about the state I’m in (which might be part of the problem) but it worries me so much that there isn’t much research on what is happening to me. I don’t want to develop schizophrenia and sure hope that smoking weed hasn’t triggered something in my brain that would make me acquire it...

If anyone out there has experienced anything like this, I would really appreciate if you reached out to me. I would really like to know how you handled the situation and how long it took you to be completely fine again or feel “normal” again. What helped you to not think about what you were experiencing? Am I just being paranoid? I know I should not have done this.. but I read an online forum of a guy who was stuck in this state for over a year. I really, really freaked out when I read that... I just want to go back to the regular state I was in before I smoked weed... and I want to be able to smoke weed again... but the experiences that I had might have scarred me for life.

Thank you in advance,

TL

Are you on any prescription medications that you take on a daily basis? If so please reply back and let me know what they are, thanks!

I am not taking any medications at the moment. However, I did have a yeast infection and used some over-the-counter medication to take care of that (like monistat)... I don't know if that might have affected anything

Interesting. I have had bad reactions with Marijuana and anti-spasmodic drugs (Bentyl to be exact) that had caused the same symptoms you are experiencing.
However you say you haven't been taking anything, so I am intrigued by this case.
I have a Master's degree in Psychology with a focus in Behavioral Health. I want you to know that I DO NOT think you are crazy or developing Schizophrenia.
I do know, however, that the body and mind are capable of some pretty crazy things. I think the potency of the marijuana scared you into a state of hyper-awareness of your own body and mind.
The hyper-awareness combined with fear/anxiety I believe may be causing your symptoms.
Try to focus on anything BUT your body and your fearful thoughts. Keep yourself occupied, distracted even. I even may suggest smoking a SMALL amount of marijuana when you are calm, cool, and collected and see what happens. Gradually you may become used to it again and the fear may go away, but it needs to be SMALL amounts. Such as one hit from a bowl or a small puff of a joint.
Please keep me posted, this is a very interesting topic!

Thank you so much! I will definitely keep you posted and try what you have suggested. Like you said, the high dosage of weed that I smoked + fear/anxiety might have definitely caused what I am experiencing at the moment. I will take your advice and try to distract myself as much as I can in the upcoming days/weeks. I'll also try to smoke a little bit (when I feel comfortable) to see what happens.