Thanks for the info on CU skin, i'll stay well clear from it.

I might have had these spots for a while, but they were never bad enough for me to notice something was abnormal til about a month ago. I had been using Burts Bees lip balm a lot that day, and the spots increased and my lips inflamed like crazy. I thought I was allergic to it and stopped using it. My spots went away and I didnt think of them again til 2 days ago when they came back full force. I thought it probably wasn't burts bees, and i bought i new one and used it. ALmost immediately it go worse. i'm trying to just leave it alone but i can't. its so bothersome and dry.

Hey i previously posted in December (decide to set up an account), the strange one with fordyce spots and exfoliative cheilitis (and lips that burn like hell and i think are addicted to balm).

i have been doing a lot of research and i am just wondering how many of you are using balm and have oily skin?
i have very oily skin, scalp, tzone etc - all produce too much sebum (yet to work out the root of the cause).
BUT due to the problems with my lips, I used balm alot, i mean more than once an hour because of i have to. I'm wondering whether it has added or contributed to my problems.
I would suggest to you if you do have over production of sebum generally and have fordyce spots, STOP using lip balm. I have been looking at the ingredients of a lot of balms and they aren't good. Most have lanolin and mineral oil which may moisturise but they are oily.
Some oils like coconut oil and jojoba oil are good oils that soak up other oils on the skin/lips, helps balance oil production.
Mineral oil, almond oils and other ingredients of lips balms don't they just add oil. Lips should moisture themselves ideally so if using an oily lip balm excessively, then this may be contributing to the over production of sebum in your lips and hence the spots.

I would also suggest that if you use lip balms with menthol or camphor in them, stop. They are not good for your lips, they just dry them out and makes you put more and more balm on (which has the lanolin and mineral and bad oils for already oily lips/skin). Most lip balms have mineral oil in them.

I am still researching, am trying to find an all natural balm that is good for the lips but also won't make them more oily/over-produce sebum.

For the fordyce spots, I was going to try tretatoin cream but i think i am going to just go and see a dermatologist first and see if there have been any advances or I might get some different advice now that I am home than what i got when living in the UK (I live in Sydney).

I will update you with anything from my end, any treatments that might be used here.

When I can afford it, I am going to see a naturopath. Maybe they can get to the cause of the over production of sebum in my body.
Getting to the root of this is the answer and then learning to manage it and not exacerbate the problems by using oily lip balms/ oily moisturisers etc.

Oh and to the person who said that fordyce arent really noticeable and that no one notices, I'm glad that is the case for you but it isn't for me. My whole top lips is white and now i am getting spots on the sides of my bottom lip and my bottom lip.
I am getting to the point now where i wont even go meet people because my lips look shocking. My lips are so discoloured, my top lip is a mix of mainly fordyce spots, two big patches of purple where i've had coldsores where the fordyce don't grow and whatever you can on the rest of my lips is an very very pale pink. it isn't pretty. and now that i have brought it up with family, they have always noticed it, they just didn't want to ask. People aren't blind, they are just polite enough to point it out.

Anyone got any updates?
The tretinoin gel and blistex dosnt seem to be working

A.

still using the tretinoin bout 2-3 times a week. i had to cut it down because my lip was becomming uncomfortably dry. felt like i was about to have a herpes outbreak.

so far no really positive results

I noticed these evil bastards (fordyce spots) around a year ago. I, like I'm sure most everyone else, feared the worse - thinking I had some sort of STD, or horrible oral disease. It seems like they rapidly get worse as the months progress. Although they're obviously not very noticable, I fear they eventually will be within a year or so and the thought of being intimate with someone is quite fearful (as I'm sure most of you can relate).

I dont remember where, or when, but I ran into statistics about fordyce spots and read that about 80% of men suffer from this condition... I just can't understand that still noone has found any cure and/or remedy to help with this when there are cures/remedies for all types of other pointless cosmetic issues that people worry about. You'd think that with SO many people with this condition, taking endless blows to their self esteem and confidence, that SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE would have found SOMETHING to help. If the statistics are true, you mean to tell me there are no celebrities and sh*t that suffer from fordyce spots and are content with living with them? BS.

As I said, I just noticed them about a year ago, so what initially caused them to show themselves? How many of us sufferers do/eat/partake in the same activities that could be causing them to show up and keep producing themselves... especially at such a rapid pace?
-Smoke (cigarettes and/or marijuana)? I do both.
-Drink (alcohol)? I do.
-Eat junk foods? I do.
-Exercise (or not exercise)? I exercise, but am also quite lazy and get more than enough rest/sleep.
-Lack of sleep? Occasionally.
-Lack of sunlight (or too much sunlight)? I work at night, typically sleep during the day.
-Acne? No.
-Blackheads/whiteheads/oily skin? Yes.
-Coldsores? Yes.
-Poor hygiene (physical/oral)? I typically shower daily. Brush my teeth at least once a day, usually twice.
I also think theres a psychological connection to them also, such as thinking about them constantly. I try not to, but it typically controls my thoughts daily, everywhere I go, everytime I leave the house. It's going to drive me insane, I sometimes feel! o.O

I've tried numerous things to try and help the condition. Sometimes I think that its helping and then the next day it seems as if they've gotten 5 times worse than before I tried messing around and tried to "fix" them.
-Rubbing alcohol
-Numerous different chapsticks/lip balms
-Tretinoin gel
-Acne face wash / medications
-Abreva
-Picking/Scrubbing/Exfoliating

I'm running out of ideas and becoming desperate (once again, I'm sure most of you can relate). I understand that things for me could most definitely always be worse than they are, but if there is something that can be done about them(I truly feel that there is, somewhere out there), then I want to know and give it a try before I become a total and complete social outcast because of something so petty and unnecessary - I'm just extremely self conscious of many things, but mostly because of the fordyce spots. Damn those annoying, ugly, pain-in-the ass, pointless saks of sebum. I'm going to go insane and chop my lips off :-S Only joking. But really, someone find a f*****g cure, or a really badass "a lot better than before" potion.

Haha good post, exactly how i feel!
My lifestyle is pretty similar to yrs, but personaly i think the connection is oily skin. Ive tried loads of stuff and havnt noticed an improvement... if anything it just makes me more frustrated - argh!!!

Im reaching the conclusion that im never going to get rid of them and that i have to just live with it, but everytime i look in the mirror my eyes are drawn straight to my discoloured lips... makes me incredibly self conscious (more so than my mild achne).

A.

Can some of you guys post some photo's so i can see if i really have these, as iv'e googled a bit and i think i do, but there are parts of my lips that have gone, that have no spots on at all, but i do have ALOT of these spots, right in the middle of my top lip line and on the corners, i've just started using jojoba and have some exfoliation pads, i have used the first one today and have seen the top of my lip (middle bit only) for the first time in a long time, but its no really the same colour as my lip, just like a redness from rubbing so hard.

But yeah, would love to see some photo's as all the photo's / videos on this topic no longer work.

Thanks, Matt.

sup guys,

well i still have these lil shats. nothings worked. i been lazy with the tretinoin cream tho. gonna try to attack it more aggressively with glycolic acid. I know everyone is feeling down and out including me but dont give up hope yet! i be back with another update in a bit

yeah ive been lazy the last 2weeks, been using the tret gel every night this week.

A.

I think Lu 78 has the right idea. I remember reading that heavy use of cream or lip balms can cause fordyce spots. I'm going to try and not use any kind of lip balm/chapstick and also try to lick my lips as little as possible. Perhaps dry lips will lead to smaller and eventually no spots.

thats interesting. for me its almost impossible not to use lip balm daily. Today i left the house w/o my burts beeswax and in the middle of the day i had to go to CVS and buy one. Let us know if drying ur lips out help

Nope. Not using lipbalms wont make a difference as i used to have dry lips before i got fordyce spots. Infact ive only been using lip balms since finding this forum (about 6 months agao).
Im using blistex medplus twice a day and ive noticed an improvement in my lips in general, but no improvement in regards to fordyce spots.

A.

A quick question does anyone drink coffee and smoke? or one or the other? Thinking maybe the dhydrating and acid effects of both may have something to do with this.

i smoke.. the first time i realized i had gotten fordyce was on a trip to asia. it was so freaking hot out there. i think the weather brought it out for me. anyone else experience this??