I live in Arizona and it's also very hot out here. Also, I never smoked cigs but I did smoke weed pretty much everyday for years. I can't help but think the smoke had something to do with the spots.

i doubt it, these appeared before i started smoking

A.

Exact same story as guywhohasfordyce. These things appeared 2yrs ago now and the best I can do is control them. Hydration, vitamins, a low acid diet (and I live for coffee), and hygiene are very important IMO.

I also use Abreva and acyovire when they become inflamed. Stop any alcohol or coffee consumption and it makes a difference. They never go away just settle down. I have to pop one or two occasionally when hey get too big and I never use any lip products because this makes them worse in my case.

Never had them before my first HSV 1 out break. Never went away after. Good luck all and just remember that if the people around you are making you self conscious then start hanging around others who don't.

i been reading on the net that some dermatoloigist have successfully treated fordyce with electrocautery. anyone know anything about this?

This is a very helpful yet confusing comments. I am sorry but this paranoia is killing me. I noticed this small white bumps on the side of my lips and ignored them until I saw that the front of my upper lips is discoloring to white. And when I stretch it looks like a set of small white spots that covered my lips and I feel like it is spreading.
I am scared and I went to a derma and said that there is no cure and I should not be surprised if it will get worst.

Can someone just please tell me what to try first and if possible be specific on how and which to apply. Please. Thanks I also hope that someone can send me an email to

Kobe im really interested with your answers. Thanks all!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

hey guys i found a dermatologist in san diego,CA that treats forydyce. i sent him an email and heres his reply

Hello xxxx,

We have treated Fordyce spots before. They represent oil glands of the lip. The rate depends on how many spots you have:

My suggestion would be that we perform a hyfrectation (destruction) of just 1 or 2 of your fordyce spots and wait 3-4 weeks to allow the areas to heal. The charge for the trial run would be $25. If you are satisfied with the way they heal after a few weeks, then you can come for treatment of the remainder of your spots. The fee schedule for destruction of such lesions is as follows:

1-3 lesions: $100
4-15 lesions: $175
>15 lesions: $250

My staff will be in the office tomorrow morning, 8 AM if you are interested in calling to schedule an appointment.

i live in los angeles so its a 2 hr drive for me. Im going to do this and ill let you guys know how it goes. i would put the derm's name and number but im not sure if its allowed

Hi Kobe,
It sounds promising. Well give us an feedback as soon as you have some results. I think many would like to hear a positive story.

hi kobe

Have you any update on the treatment?

this problem has made me house bound...i've seen a dermatologist and he said it "normal" no need for a treatment...i don't think they understand the psychology effect...

i've tried the majority of creams etc that people have mention with no luck, in some sense it made it a little worse i think..

anyways appreciate the input that people have made.

fingers crossed that there will be a solution.

hey guys i actually went to the derm today. he told me that they would use electrocautery ( electric needle ) to burn the spots off but there is a risk of scarring that may look worse than the fordyce spots themselves. when i heard this i changed my mind and decided not to get it done.

so as of now im jus gonna live with it.

^ that was me posting btw. so yeah as of now im going to try the hot needle method n see if it scars. Im jus gonna do 1 or 2 spots. if they heal w/o scaring then hopefully ill have the balls to get the electrocautery done...

it will just come back mate.

A.

Hopefully it dont... so far ive removed about 8 random spots on my top lip. What i did was heat a clothes pin...took the top layer off then i used a heated paper clip to burn the suckers.

BTW i used lidocaine/prilocaine cream to numb my lip first so the pain is not too bad.

Even if they do come back it is still worth it to me. Right now i have the most confidence ive ever had in 5 yrs. i can actually talk to people (especially girls) w/o feeling ugly.

Kobe,could u give some more detail on the process? What do you mean by took the top layer off? How do you do it? Ill do anything to get rid of them.Ive only had these spots on my upper lip but just now i noticed a few on the bottom one and im freaking out,i feel like dying right now i cant take feeling like this anymore

Ugh! I discovered these little spots first a few months ago. They seem to be getting worse. I've read this whole thread and can really relate to everyone who's said these damn bumps have reduced their self esteem and such. I tried the blistex but it didn't do anything. I'm onto jojoba oil now...been about 2 weeks. I apply it at night. It's made my lips look a little softer sorta but perhaps it's my imagination cause yesterday I noticed they were feeling kinda bumpy. Sigh I just want rid of these damn things. I've spent so much time reading about them and worrying that it's getting worse. At least I finally found a group that is focused on the lip area...I was getting fed up reading about the ones in the genital region. I just feel so damned helpless with this :-(

Great news guys! Its been a month and the spots are still gone!

Ok so this is what you need,

1. Something to numb ur lip with. I was able to get lidocaine and prilocaine cream 2.5%. i think its prescription, my sis works in dental so she hooked me up. Maybe orajel would work...

2. clothes pin

3. paper clip

4. lighter

Ok now that we have everything. what your going to do is heat the clothes pin for 6-8 seconds. Be sure to use to blue flame cause the top of the flame will turn the clothes pin black and leave a black soot on it.

Then your gonna poke at the spot with the hot clothes pin. The pin will be so hot it will basically melt the top layer off exposing the oil gland "fordyce spot". You dont have to poke hard, jus the heat of the sharp clothes pin and it will melt through ur lip like butter. Thats what i mean by removing the top layer. You will get the hang of it after you do a couple.

Now that the gland is exposed we go to phase 2.
What your gonna do is basically the same thing, but we are using a hot paper clip this time.
so open up the paper clip so its a straight line. Heat it up and press it on the same exact spot where you removed to top layer. The tip of the paper clip is flat so its like you are branding urself. This action actually burns and destroys the gland.

The lip should scab up and takes about a week to heal. MAKE SURE the paper clip is hot enough to destroy the gland. I messed up the first time cus it wasnt hot enough and the gland didnt get destroyed and it came back but not as noticeable.

Thats pretty much it. I do not take responsibility if something goes wrong. Dont blame me. If you do it right the spots should be gone

Ive pretty much tried everything as you can see ive been documenting everything in this thread and this has got to be the best thing i ever did. Hope this helps