Ok everyone so i too have fordyce spots on my lips...ive been reading this thread for quite a while now...since it first started to be exact. I believe that none of those home remedies work. And the laser treatment gets rid of them but then they just come back. Also the poke method probably works but they come back as well.

BUT this article came out 2 months ago on fordyce spots on lips:
And for treatment it says:

Treatment
Considering that it is a very minor cosmetic or dermatological condition, you can ignore them. But if you are too finicky and are conscious of it, well, then you can apply tretinoin cream or gel to the affected spots, daily. This will surely deter it from getting worse, if there are any chances of that. Using this tretinoin gel or cream in tandem with alpha hydroxy acid agents will more helpful to deal with the white spots on lips. This is more effective as alpha hydroxy acid agents are also used to treat acne. Amongst other things, jojoba oil, Tocopherol, and Argania extract, have also been believed to effectively treat fordyce's spots. If you are not in favor of these natural remedies or cures, well, you can go in for electro dessication or laser treatments with carbon dioxide. But, as far as possible, doctors advise against this treatment as its nothing abnormal. But there are times when the doctor can prescribe TCA chemical peels. But as soon as you stop the treatment, the spots will recur. Other treatments like laser vaporization, liquid nitrogen freezing or diathermy, pulse dye lasers are supposed to have worked on the white spots on lips.

Ultimately, these are absolutely harmless spots and are best left alone. Most of the times white spots on the lips are not even noticed by anyone else other than the one who has it. So the best way is to just let the white spots be and if someone asks you (if at all they get noticed), just tell them that they are your beauty spots and strut off in full glory!

My spots arent that large *i hope i didnt jinx it* but i do hope that article helps some of you guys.

Thanks.

P.S: I think the tretinoin cream is probably the best bet.

hi all i previously posted the other day (4th up).

i have been doing a bit more research on fordyce spots and came across something interesting. if your lips don't burn or crack like mine do, this may not be relevant.

There is a condition called Exfoliative Cheilitis (EC). I believe I have this and Fordyce spots together based on what I've read. One story in particular resonated with me. A guy gave up chapstick and that is when EC started for him (note he did not have fordyce spots).
He felt like he was having withdrawal symptoms without the chapstick, his lips were so dry and peeled constantly. This is exactly what i go through. I did give up balm for a few days once and my lips were shockingly dry. Only now do i realise how bad it was doing that as my lips kept cracking and me licking them with all the mouth bacteria we have wasn't exactly great.
As i said previously i had to lick my lips cos if didn't i couldn't really smile. So i went back on the balm. If i use the balm constantly my lips stay relatively smoothe. my ex actually remarked at how smoothe and soft my lips were! (this was in ireland where the fordyce spots weren't really visible).

Anyway if you go to curezone.com, there is a forum/thread on their to do with EC and EC with fordyce spots - a lot of people believe are linked.
The oil in lips has blocked the pores so moisture cannot get through to moisturise our lips naturally.

There is also a link for a guy that said he tried Donovex and this got rid of his EC and fordyce spots. On the forums another guy called 'Chris Juno' is trying the same thing and isn't having as outstanding results but have a read (note it isn't the most user friendly site in the world unless i'm doing something wrong).

here is the linnk to Donovex working. I have no idea whether it works or not and i'd certainly be trying to find more testimonials first on this product before using it, i just don't have the time right now.

i think i'll be trying tretinoin first or whether to try jojoba oil first to get the spots right to the surface, then use tretinoin.

Ive been on tretinoin cream 0.1% every night since 10/22/09. My top lip has been somewhat peeling but i noticed it peeling more the last couple days that i didnt put tretinoin cream. Im gonna switch it up to every other night now. I also started using glycolic acid 35%. Its an AHA agent that helps w/ skin peeling and generating new cells. Ive been on that for two weeks now, using it once a week. I also picked up a great non-oil based lip balm called burts beeswax. its awesome! it cools your lips like the blistex lip medex except its all natural. Its also not addicting. I jus apply it 2x a day and im good

Well as of right now its sad for me to say i wouldnt recommend getting all this stuff except for the lip balm. Ive spent $40 on CU-skin treatment. $5 for jojoba oil, $90 for tretinoin cream and $30 for the glycolic acid. Not to mention ive tried all the home remedies and nothing has given the results that i want. Ive also been to the dermatologist and they just looked at me w/ a puzzled face.

So im gonna keep at it and report back in a few days. Hopefully it just takes time for the cream to start working its magic.

-kobe24

kobe, yr my hero :-D

A.

Hi Kobe24,

I'm having the same problem as everyone else in this forum. I just wanna know if you are only applying the tretinoin cream at night? If u do it on day time, wouldnt you worry you might accidentally ingested some of it?

Thanks..

I apply at nite time. I dont apply at day time because your not supposed to be exposed to sunlight. The cream makes the skin sensitive and can easily get burned

Hi Kobe 24,

Understood. Thanks for the reply.

SK

Hey everybody I really appreciate alot of the advice here and I know how you guys feel. I have Fordyce patches running up the center of my upper lip and the half way between. It really scarred me when I first had it I thought I had some kind of std or something...I first noticed it when I had a severe break out of oral herpes for whatever reason. But when it first showed up it showed pretty good...a bunch of white dots and patches that looked like dry skin...What I did was use alot of Abreva you know the cold sore medicine and applied it all over my lips especially on the affected area and I must say for the most part alot of it has cleared up. I use carmax almost all the time as well and through out the years the areas have been less noticable and healthy looking...the fordyce spots sometimes show up a little but I just apply Abreva to them and eventually they go down and are less noticable when I mean less noticable I mean hardly noticeable at all. I read that cold sores are caused by an over production of either the oil or some other fluid due to a cell mutation from the herpes simplex type 1 virus and the abreva works wonders on it from the get go meaning when you feel it about to come on it completely neutralizes it and I think it does the same with the sebum glands that build up and cause fordyce...So I'm not guaranteeing any miracles but try it and it might help for you its helped me so far.

hey lads been reading these sights for years have tried everything as far as treatments except tretinoin so please keep us updated

Does anyone knows whether Protopic ointment 0.1% would help in curing Fordyce spot? Cause i went to a dermatologist two weeks ago, she suspects that those clusters of white spots on my upper lips are due to inflammation or vitiligo...she has given me Protopic to apply on those spot. Anyone has any idea what would this ointment do to the white spot if it were to be Fordyce spot? i've been applying it on my upper lips for almost two weeks and those white spot doesn't get any better and it become more noticeable...

Thanks

GuyWhoHasFordyce- Im happy Abreva worked for you. How long did it take for the fordyce to go away?

skng2020- Keep on using the meds. Sometimes it takes a while to see results. Let us know if something positive happens

has anyone ever heard of a topical gel/cream named Duac? i have heard it works

Cant get Abreva in the UK.

Currently im using tretinoin (for a month now) at night and blistex med plus during the day. I would advise NOT to use jojoba oil, as it appears to be make the fordyce spots stand out more (been using it for 3 months, have stopped now). Also, ive been using a face scub to try to 'sand' away the top layer on my lips, no success.

Death to Fordyce!

A.

I am guywhohasfordyce I been using the Abreva for a few years now and like I said it works really good. Lately I got really sick with a bad sinus infection had fever and all still get night sweats whenever I sleep whether its the day or night so I guess youd call it sick sleep sweats but whatever the matter I'd wake up with extremely dry lips probably due to the medicine Im taking over the counter fever reducers like nyquill to calm the fever I got and Id wake up and then I look and the mirror and see them suckers starting to pop up and I aint really noticed them in over a few years but Im steadily applying it to my lips *the abreva* about 4 times a day or till the Fordyce goes down and it does and I keep using carmax and it helps. It seems like the medications and the fever has been making them pop up because I hardly ever had to use the abreva since I first noticed the Fordyce when I was 16 so go figure. But to everyone who has them like most people say alot of people don't even notice the Fordyce you gotta be like a weirdo to be just starring all up in somebodys mouth when they are talking to you let alone the fact of not having manners and being rude...Who would want to associate with shallow people like that anyways let alone care about there opinions...I got a girlfriend that I love and she claims she loves me more and she doesn't even notice the fordyce she says I am tripping. But as we all know the fordyce bearers notice it...And by the way I did try to stare at a few peoples lips when I first got it because I was wondering if this was natural or common and believe it or not alot of people got fordyce. Most the time it just looks like dry patches. Back in the day when I was in jr high though this one fat fella had it pretty big like little bubbles on his middle lip but hey that didn't stop me from being his homie and him letting me use some hair gel out of his big 99 cent store tub of gel. He was a good guy. By the way I also study the bible vigorously or is is rigorously and what it promises well take a look and basically you aint got worry about anything!

I have had this problem for as long as i can remember I am 35 now and over the years they have become more and more noticeable on the upper and now lower parts of my lips. I bought CUSkin, a company based in London (i think) and this product does not work at all :-( i used it as directed for months with no results. I think they even have gotten worse. I will try some of the recommendations on this post as i have in the past, and will hope for the best. This problem has kept me from interacting with many people, hiding my mouth, and just overall depression at times over the way i look. There are some that say, "it's not a big deal", they aren't THAT noticeable, whats the big deal! Well obviously they dont deal with this issue. Yes, I am thankful they arent as bad as it can be, but it is fairly bad for me to shy away from social situations.

I just think constantly about finding a cure and something working. Just please note for me, the CUSkin did NOT work at all at ($50) this was a waste of money.