hey guys.... i tried the vinegar method - didnt do anything :-( i bought blistex and have been using it religiously for about 2 weeks, still no improvement. it actually looks like its even worse :-( my upper lip looks terrible and noticing more and more on my bottom lip. dont know what to do next

that was me AMP up there on the last one. going to try to upload some pics for ya'll to see how bad it is

I think I have tried every home remedy suggested with no success. Can you buy tretonin without a prescription? I don't have insurance and fear that if I pay to see a doc...they will tell me I don't need treatment. Can I purchase this over the counter, or internet or something?

Guest wrote:

^ I bought mines off Amazon. $90

Its been almost 2 weeks since ive been using tretinoin and the results are positive. I exfoliate with st.ives every 4 days. The cream really dries out my upper lip. Alot of the random spots have really shrunk. I dont wanna give my hopes up yet tho. I figure this tx will take about 3-4 months to really see progress

quick update.. ive noticed a few spots really shrunk. other than that no major changes

Hi all,
Well I was a couple dumbass last week and got drunk...I had sex with a girl who I come to find out was the most promicuous girl I have ever even heard about. It would have been safer having sex with a prositute. In any case, I developed these "fordyce spots" and gonerra and I am waiting to see in a couple weeks if I have HIV, Hep C, Genital Warts and Genital Herpes. I was hoping at first I only had gonerra then within days of having sex with her I developed these spots on my upper lip. I googled it and thought it might be "fordyce spots" but I was kidding myself. The doctor said he thought it was Type 1 Herpes (oral)...I said I thought it might be "fordyce spots", he said he really doubts it. In any case I am now on Acyclovir a pill for oral herpes. It has been 2 days and hasnt done jack...but it has only been two days. He said it should take about a week to work. Now here is the thing...if you actually have oral herpes and not "fordyce spots" and your using these moiturizers you will actually make it worse. Herpes loves moisture. Not only that you will be spreading the virus all over your lips. If you think you got this from sexual contact or kissing I suggest you treat it as oral herpes. I have been online and seen what all of those doctors say. I even submitted a question to one and he said it was fordyce spots. It very well may be "fordyce spots" but the glands are inflamed because of an infection not an overproduction of oil or something. The best thing I can do now is eat healthy, boost my immune system and hope the acyclovir helps. I am praying to god I dont have genital herpes as well. In any case I will update you all. I am going to try ZILACTIN gel on my lips. From all the posts here I think that would work best for my condition. I think I was wide open to infection in the first place because I think I contracted the swine flu about 5 weeks ago and I didnt fully recover. My immune system is pretty banged up.
I would avoid physically irritating or trying to cut these things off, you will probably make it worse. I will keep you updated, if I dont have a nervous breakdown in the meantime. good luck.

you have very similar situation as me. I was initially diagnosed as HSV1 lesion on my upper lip. I had inflammation and white bumps on there. I took acyclovir for 1 month/valtrex for 3 months. It did not work. that happened in May of this yr (2009).
After this incident, I cannot go out to meet people. People I encounter thinks this is some sort of STD.

I ve seen 4 doctors so far. The first doc told me this as herpes (it was the urgent care doc.) The 2/3/4th doc all have told me what i have on my upper lips is not herpes. btw, the 2/3/4th doc are dermatologist. They told me i am completely normal. But only 4th doc today told me that what i have is fordyce spot.

I have chronic inflmmation on upper lip like u do. the 4th doc prescribed me to use protopic ointment to get rid of the inflammation. It did reduce the inflammation, but did not get rid of the bumps.

Today, he told me that he will try to destroy them 1 by 1. I just made an apnmt. We will c what happens.

I wish whatever I write is helpful in anyway. We can exchange the progress here. That will definitely help.

Update.
Jojoba by itself has done nothing, so today i went to my doctor and got some tretinoin gel (tradename: retin-a) and im gonna try that. Will take at least a month apparently so i'll give future updates on my progress (if any!).

A.

what is the strength of that tretinoin gel? i went ahead and bought some AHA glycolic acid 30% also

hey kobe. any changes??

other than a few spots shrinking nothing really big to report.

bluedog wrote:

Mattsayshola wrote:

No, I just don't feel as outgoing or deserving, you know?

It sounds to me like you might be feeling somewhat depressed, which is pretty normal when you feel self-conscious about your appearance. Is that right? Am I touching on something there?

Yea, sorry for the late response.

Hi all i have spent heaps of time reading through the thread. so disappointing most haven't had any success.

my story: 30 yr F, don't know how long i've had fordyce spots for now. i was living in europe for 3 years where i saw a dermatologist who basically said they were fordyce spots and totally normal and sent me on my way. I nearly cried, she wasn't interested in helping at all or offering a solution.

For me how bad they appear depends where i am. i lived in London, they were somewhat noticable. i lived in ireland and don't think i really noticed them at all (ireland cold most of the time). i have recently returned home to sydney and they are shocking, my whole top lip is pretty much white (note it is hot in sydney at the moment).
the only part that isn't is along the top of my lip where i had 2 really bad coldsores. i read in any earlier thread someone experiencing this as well, possibly lip/root damaged so no fordyce spots can grow in those spots.
i had a friends mum say one day on a cold day a few years back while in oz holidaying 'what is wrong with your lips'? fordyce spots were really white yet my lips were purple from the cold (yet it was only 20 degrees - yep that's winter in oz). yet in 8 degree weather in ireland, you couldn't even see them.

i use lip balm like there is no tomorrow. my lips burn constantly, 24/7 regardless of where i am. the balm i use gives me a bit of relief but not not for long. if i dont have balm on i am always licking my lips. i cant help it. if i don't, i can't even smile, lips crack and my top lip kinda flips up so my lip somewhat doubles in size and looks ridiculous. and my lips burn so much, it's hard to explain, i almost feel like i'm having withdrawal symptoms.

i remember when my lips started to burn years ago, my grandma has this medicated ointment, had a vicks smell to it. she said to use it on my lips and i did and oh the relieffffffffff. i kept using it but i think it kinda sucked all the moisture out of my lips in the end and i became addicted to it cos my lips always needed it. i stopped using it and i have used a bonne belle lip balm for years and years now, i even got them shipped from oz to europe cos they didn't sell them. the other balms i tried gave me relief, i still felt like i was having withdrawal symptoms. it's all quite bizarre.
i think i will try an oil free balm, i have noticed a few spots on my bottom lip now. i wonder whether the heat makes it worse? i have a top lip full of these things, i dont need a bottom full as well.

thank you to all those who have gone on the journey and shared it with us even though you haven't had success.

interesting story, thanks for sharing. im going to give this tretinoin gel till january, if i dont notice any improvement then its off to the dermatologist.
A

CO2 Laser is working or not? I have got lots of Fordyce spots on my top lip. It isn't comfortable. (Sorry but my English isn't good).