jessed83 wrote:

healthnfitnessguy wrote:

That's helpful to know that it's preventative so that's something I can recommend to people who actually have the issue. I think that they might actually make a small jar of jojoba cream, have you tried googling for that? It might help you if you want to try applying it during the day. Do you find that you need to apply during the day?

I would definitely recommend Nivea lip balms, the one I use (Nivea for Men), not surprisingly, has jojoba oil in it. I haven't felt the need lately to apply jojoba oil that often during day, just when I get up and before bed. Maybe if I applied it more often then more spots would be gone, but I'm patient. The rest of the time I use the lip balm which I apply it every few hours. Jojoba cream sounds promising, I'll have to look into that.

Oh, I had no idea that Nivea actually has jojoba oil in it. It's probably better that the cream since I doubt the cream is going to have any more jojoba oil in it than Nivea does. Did you happen to find any cream anyway?

dark_red wrote:

In previous post it seemed to me far more complicated than what you have explained now. You apply jojoba oil just in the morning and evening and microdermabrasion cream every two days. And lip balm is something that is much easier to use. And when you mentioned to someone that you use three products it would be like, that much, but it isn't a big deal. The cream is a little expensive but i hope that it works.
How long do you think you need to apply all these things?

It's not a very time consuming regimen which is good, applying jojoba oil and lip balm takes a few seconds and I only rub the microderm cream on my lips for about 2 minutes. It sure isn't cheap, but keep in mind that a $40 jar of microdermabrasion cream is supposed to be used for scars, so you only need a very small amount for the lips. I use it for scars too, but if I used it just for the lips it would last me a very long time. I'm now eager more than ever to get rid of these things, and the fact that I can actually COUNT ALL of my fordyce spots in this specific area is a good sign.

healthnfitnessguy wrote:

I've seen moisturizing creams with jojoba oil in them, but the concentration is too small. I guess it's hard to top jojoba oil since it's 100% and pure. I'm not sure how much jojoba oil is in Nivea, but definitely enough to help.

well its been 2 weeks now since i tried CUskin and there has been no improvement 8-| . as of now i would not recommend purchasing this product. im using both jojoba oil and the CUskin now at the same time. maybe doing both might help 8-|

In beginning when you got the CUskin it was promising. And I really expected that you will have some result with it by now. But on the other hand it still might be a little early. Maybe the combination will give some results.
In these past two weeks you have just applied CUskin and nothing else?

yes ive been only applying the CUskin.

Microdermabrasion isn't working either. There was an improvement the second time I used it, but no improvement since then. And the improvement was probably due solely to my scratching. I've also given up on jojoba oil, it's a great preventative measure and a great way to force your spots closer to the surface, but that's it. Extraction is what needs to be done and it's not an easy process. I'm basically going to just pick and scratch my lips from now on and hope that eventually the spots will come off. Also, I'm going to give Blistex another shot. I doubt either of these will work, a lot of these spots just seem to not want to go away.

after 3 months of using jojoba oil...my spots stayed the same as the spots maxing out at a 1 months..i stopped using it a week ago because i've noticed more spots that i haven't noticed coming out using the jojoba oil..anyways..i've notice some spots coming back from my co2 laser treatment..that was expected..and i've been basically using my fingernail and been scraching my spots..it seems to make my white spots turn red and blending in with my lip make it not that noticable...i've also been using cherry capstick and seems to make my lips look more nice.. thats just my personal experince..the jojoba oil did not get rid of my fordyce spots..and scraching it seems to work a bit for me..anyways..i hope the oil works for others...as for me...it didn't... paul....

this weekend imma try to "pop" one out with the help of a needle. now i know that the gland is still there so it will come back because it always does. anyways imma try to apply CUskin and jojoba oil. since they are prevent sebum maybe they wont come back? ? i know its a long shot but what is there to lose right?

Hello all!

I stumbled upon this forum looking for help (I have fordyce spots on my upper lip). From reading through all the posts I'm not sure what to think of the oil. It doesn't seem to really work. Nor do many of the potential treatments discussed here and elsewhere on the web. Though there are many people posting on forums who have this problem, there is not one who has succesfully gotten rid of his/her spots (permanently).

The treatment that in my mind sounded the most promising was CO2 laser treatment. I decided to go for it in March of this year. The treatment cost me $500. The procedure wasn't bad at all; it took only about 5 minutes, and the most painful part was the anesthetic injection. I got some hydrocodone out of the deal, and sat at home playing xbox for 5 or 6 days while my lip healed. :-D After everything healed, I was elated to see that almost all of my spots were gone (there were a few very tiny ones remaining). Unfortunately my spots returned, rather rapidly, after about 2 weeks (3 weeks after the procedure). This was extremely discouraging.

I went back for a second round of treatment at the beginning of May. The doctor thought that she ought to go deeper this time; that she hadn't reached the roots of the cells. She cranked up the intensity of her CO2 laser and zapped me. This time it took a little longer to heal, say 6 or 7 days. During the healing process a few large spots surfaced on the edge of my lip. These spots however are tougher to see given they are next to my white skin. My lips looked good; better than the first time. The spots, however, have started to come back :'( It took them longer to start coming back this time, and they seem to be coming back more gradually (perhaps this is because it has taken my skin longer to really heal from the more intense laser). it has now been 2 months since the procedure and I am just now getting to a point where I am uncomfortable of and embarrassed by my appearance. The spots are still substantially fewer than the initial amount prior to my laser treatment. I am waiting to see to what extent they return in another two months. If they remain at current levels I can conclude that the treatment helped a little.

Though this has been a very discouraging experience, with disappointing results from the most promising of the available treatments, I maintain hope for an effective solution to my fordyce spots. 2 reasons lead me to believe that fordyce spots may be permanently removed:
1. The laser treatment seems to have significantly reduced the spots density, and thus visibility, with this second round of intense treatment.
2. In February of this year, prior to any laser treatment, I got the flu. My bodies immune system was weakened and I developed a "cold sore". This was one big mother of a cold sore and created a signiicant wound on my upper lip (in the area where I have fordyce spots. It took a while to heal, and there may be a bit of a scar, but to this day there aren't any spots AT ALL in the large area that was affected by my cold sore. This leads me to believe that if the cells are damaged enough, and deep enough, the fordyce spots will not grow back.

I plan on waiting to see how my lips develop and to what extent there is a recurrance of this issue. I will go see my dermatologist again in October to seek a final round of VERY intense CO2 laser treatment in the hopes of deeply damaging the cells that are responsible for the fordyce spots growing back.

I appreciate these forums and they can provide not only information but also consolation that other people are going through the same thing. I know it's really hard to go through life so self conscious. Hang in there guys, keep your head up!

Matt

paul,
after you got the co2 treatment done were you still applying jojoba oil to the scab?

paul,

after your co2 treatment did you apply jojoba oil to the scab?

kobe24, after my laser treatment i didn't use jojoba oil..i used bacitracin zinc ointment what my derm gave me..i did ponder using jojoba oil but i didn't..why? because as i stated on the early post..i did the middle and 1 corner of my lips with co2 laser and left the other corner untreated..i read from some of the people how jojoba oil seems to do wonders so i figured i would still use the jojoba oil on the untreated side..after 3 months .. it never worked for me..actually it made my spots worst..new spots showed up..in the beginning..i really didn't care about my lips having fordyce spots because i used to use lip balms and seems to make my lips look healthy and unoticable of the forcye spots..but i guess after reading what some people said about jojoba oil..how its helping to remove fordyce spots with jojoba i join the bandwagon..to my dismay..it made my lips worst and more spots more noticable...thats why i zapped them with laser.. i gave benifit of doubt what people have claimed..but.. i beg to differ..anyways..this is going to be the last time using co2 laser and im never going to use jojoba oil..im just going to use lip balm..seems to work for me..healthy lips make the spots unnoticable. as for a solution of getting rid of spots.. i put my money on co2 laser treatments.. sure they come back..but not all..btw..kobe24 i did use needles before..and it does work for a few days but the spots do come back..but the good side of using a needle is that when it comes back...it come back more unnoticable..that good about needles..good luck with your treatment kobe..and everyone else... :-P paul...

has anyone ever tried tretinoin cream?

I only know that this is being used for improvement of the appearance of the skin by reducing fine lines and wrinkles, reducing roughness and improving coloration and it can be used for treatment for acne's.
I have no experience with it. And I know that you just can apply it once a day.
I'm not sure that I was of some help, but if someone has more information on this it would be nice to share.