Tretinoin cream is the one thing that I haven't yet tried, so I'm really interested in hearing about whether it works or not. Nothing else seems to work. I won't be buying jojoba oil again, nor will I try to experiment anymore. I've been using Blistex Lip Medex again, maybe it'll help, maybe it won't. I also bought cherry chapstick to hopefully make the spots less noticeable. I guess that's the best we can do really.

Well I think that the main problem is that not the same thing works on everybody. You can always go to laser treatment. But it seams that this didn't help all of you guys. I'm also interested in hearing some experience with Tretinoin cream. It would be nice to have some positive feedback.

hey did anyone have success with CUskin?

lip tattoo

is it safe if you have a fordyce spots?

What's going on everybody - I've been a semi-longtime reader of this thread (and the one before it) but have never posted my thoughts and/or experience. I have had fordyce spots for over three years now and still struggle with them. I'm 21 and although I think I'm a pretty good looking guy, my lips kill my confidence and I don't even like talking to chicks anymore simply because of my condition. I guess I'm getting more comfortable with it all now, but at the end of the day I come home thinking about all the things I feel unable to do/accomplish because of how strongly my lips affect me.

Anyways, that's it in a nutshell - you fellas know the deal anyways. So the reason I'm posting is to answer your question about tretinoin cream. I got some from a derm (I swear this stupid chick was perplexed with my lips) and I pretty much had to explain to her what fordyce spots are and what causes them, treatement, etc. She just kept nodding and taking notes. So I eventually told her that the only reason I was there was to get some tretinoin cream and she hooked it up.

I was stoked and applied it 1-2 times a day for a week. Next thing I knew, I had angular chelitis (I think that's the name of it). Pretty much in English that means the sides of my mouth were getting red, chapped, and super irritated. To the point of becoming more noticable than the fordyce spots, and believe me fellas, I've got a ton of them on my upper lip.

So I hate to say it, but the tretinoin didn't really work out for me. I wish I could offer a better experience but as we all know, we'd prefer to hear the truth rather than get fed BS.

Anyways I appreciate the guys who post here a lot (paul, jesse, darkred, etc) you guys have helped me out. I'll tell you what, just give me a hot chick who either a) has fordyce spots or b) is a cool-ass, understanding dermatologist, and I'll be a happy man. Until then, let's refuse to give up on this.

Martin Luther King, Jr. once said "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands during times of comfort but where he stand during times of challenge and controversy." I try to live my life by that.

Much love.

that Cuskin treatment didnt do a thing for me. i dont recommend it to anyone.

I had fordyce for almost 10 years. My lips are not dry but people come up to me and say that they are really dried up and give me many advice like applying moisturizer. It doesn't help cause its the spots that I am really concerned.

Fordyce spots are just like sebaceous oil glands on our face which causes pimples and acnes, only that they grow on the Wrong place. There are no pores for the Fordyce spots to be extracted out from the lips.

You might think you have the worst fordyce spots, wait till you see me. My upper lips are almost "Gone". The fordyce spots actually custer themselves and the lips normally pigmentation are covered by them. There are no longer Outline on my lips. The fordyce spots are more closer to my skin tone which resulted in the disappearing of my lips. Even when I strecthed my lips, I can no longer see individual spots, but a whole lump of, I would describe as fordyce piece.

The above had happen to me for 10 years and now they are completely gone. Its a long process but do give this a try:

1.) Please have this mind set that you need to tackle the sebaceous oil glands underneath the lips instead of the spots. If the oil glands are controlled, the spots will minimized and will be gone after that.

2.) Shave all your facial hair around the upper and lower lips. This is where the oil glands are. Some of the oil glands grow at the wrong place (an error) onto the lips which resulted in the fordyce spots appearing.

3.) Apply tretinoin cream. It is a kind of anti-botics which is given for the treatment of acnes. When used on the face, you face will feel dried up and peeling occures. This is due to tretinoin cream controlling the oil glands on the face. As you know, normally oil glands can generate a moisturizing effect. When controlled, the oil will minimize and thats is why the face will dry up. But in return, acnes are less prompt and pores also strink in size. The result goes for the lips, by apply tretinoin cream on the lips, your lips will feel dried up. The spots are minimized each time peeling occures and new skin on the lips are generated and when used constantly, the spots are not visible to the eyes.

4.) To counter the dryness of the lips due to the use of tretinoin cream, use a non oil based lip balm or oil control moisturizer. Just a little will do. Do not over dose as this causes stress on the oil glands and the oil glands will get aggitated and more oil are produced, but as mention above, there are no pores for the oil to escape, so the fordyce spots will become bigger and bigger, more and more. Not sure if you encounter this. If you put alot of moisturizer on the face, your face will feel oily after sometime. But for lips, the oil are trapped.

5.) People who use accutane can also make the fordyce spots dissappear. Same logic as tretinoin. Accutane can be considered one of the most powerful medication to control acne. It reduces the oil glands. Your face will feel extremely dry and lips can even cracked and bleed in the initial part. Once stablized, it will feel better. As mentioned, this is really powerful but the end results are really good which means acne gone and totally clear up. Do take note that accutane has several side effects like thining of hair, feeling stress, extremely dryness and most importantly not to be taken by people who wants to get pregnant or with babies.

5.) Do take note that even if the fordyce spots are gone, it will come back if no proper care is taken. Just like acnes, it will come back too even if it is totally cleared if no proper care is taken.

6.) Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to send the message across telling people to get to the bottom of the problem which is the oil glands. I have compared Acnes on the face to Fordyce on the lips as I have encounted the worst of both. I used the solutions for the acnes to be treated on the fordyce spots and it really works. I have no choice but to use myself as a guinea pig as docs just brush you off saying it not contagious and there is no cure. Normal laser will definitely burn a hole in your lips even though it kill the oil glands, example people went for laser to stop hair growth but our lips are very vulnerable. CO2 laser can be used but it just for cosmetic purposes which will remove the fordyce spots in the beginning but they will surface after sometime if there is no proper care.

7.) Overall, I will recommend tretinoin. Hope this help you guys out there.

**Please do take note that the above is what I personally encounter and its really at your own risks. Especially the accutane, have plenty of information and consult a specialist before proceeding

i found this post on another fordyce thread in this forum.

im willing to try this but the cheapest ive found the cream for was $90 :-(

here is my daily ritual for my lips...when i wake up..i would wash my lips really well with just soap.. then i would wash it at lunch break after eatting lunch...then when im home..i would put lip balm when im going to sleep.. seems to keep my lips looking healthy... thats the only time i would put something on my lips..i don't know how bad other have it with fordyce spots..but with me..i have it in both corner of my upper lips and in the center.. i can notice it when i stretch my lips or smile when im close to the mirror.. but when im about 2 feet alway i can't really tell..now i've tried co2 laser, needle, jojoba, and blistex/med and other lip balm.. co2 works in the beginning but most or some spots seems to come back.. needles work in the begginning but come back..jojoba oil doesn't work..period..it made my spots more noticable and more spots showed up..lip balm doesn't get rid of fordyce spots but keeps my lips looking healthy..i think that is the key..before i didn't use lip balm thinking that using it would make more spots show up or thought it ould make it more noticable..thats not the case..i started using lip balm because i would always have chapped lips..and lips would crack and bleed when i would smile..so my girlfriend and friends would tell me to use lip balm...and wala..my lips doesn't crack or bleed..now i can smile again...im not saying lip balm is the key to get rid of fordyce spots..but..i think keeping your lips healthy looking well make it less noticable... as for tretinoin cream..i really can say anything about it cause i never used it..but..why would you put something on your lips thats for acne..the guess already discribe his horror story about it and tells that it doesn't work..i don't think it would be good for the body if you ate some of the meds excidently. anyways..i come to the conclusion that life is short to worry about the spots.. im just going to use lip balm and stick with my daliy ritual.. now if the spots are really getting to you..you sould go see a dermatologist and see what options is there for you.. paul..

Kobe24, thanks for the awesome write up. Its is by far the best post in this entire thread.

I've noticed these little spots on the corners of my lips for near 6 years now (I'm 27). I never thought about them and figured they were normal oil gland/"lip zit" type stuff. A few weeks ago I noticed my girlfriend looking at my lips with a strange look on her face. She didn't say anything, but later I looked in the mirror and found that the spots had gotten worse over the last few years.

I think part of my issue is that I have been using chap stick my ENTIRE LIFE. Even in elementary school I had a tube of it in my pocket. I'm one of those guys who can't leave home without his chap stick. After reading this thread I thought I might look into jojoba oil. Then I checked my favorite lip balm ("artisan" from Trader Joes) only to find out jojoba oil is the 3rd most common ingredient. Turns out I have been using jojoba oil about 3-5 times a day, everyday, for the last 5 or so years (which is ironicly when I first noticed my Fordyce spots).

I am starting to think my spots are from an over medication or unnatural moisturizing of my lips, which stopped the oil glands in my lips from functioning properly. Quite a few times my lips would almost revolt and just start peeling. No matter how much lip balm I put on, they would just peel. I think this might have been my bodies natural response to my balm use. It seems like drying out the lips is necessary and my body knew better than I did.

So today I have stopped using my lip balm. I plan on naturally drying them out by avoiding any other meds and will see how that goes before I try that trenton med or whatever its called. I will be back in a week or so to let you know how the experiment fares.

thats just the opposite for me..when i was growing up..i always had healthy red lips..i never ever used any lip balm..it was just rare for me to even remember getting chapped lips..as i got older and started to notice fordyce spots..thats when my lips started to get chapped, crack, bleed, and look messy and unheathy looking..i was worried when i got them cause i didn't know what they where..so when my derm told me what it was..i as relieved..yet it was bugging me..after many diffrent treatments..and having to live with them..i come to realize that its here to stay and i souldn't worry about it..and i don't anymore..

you said your lips chap, peel, ect..what you sould do is latter your hand with soap and just keep washing your lips and the dry skin should come off..thats what i use to do when my lips got bad.. thats when i wasn't using lip balm.. that never happens to me anymore..i've used many lip balm.. and i find that cherry chap stick works the best for me.. like i said in early post... i only put the balm at bedtime..and when i wake up..my lips look red and healty.. seem the white spots are more blend to the lip color.. im not saying that its fading the spots or getting rid of it..i think the color of the stick that is red kind of makes lips looking red and healthy..well that my observation.. paul..

I'm confused, why did the discussion suddenly drop off? I acquired fordyce a few days ago, the version that isn't bumpy but a bunch of small white dots in clusters. I'd like to hear further work towards a cure or treatment. Thanks.

I've given up.. I've tried everything, and really I don't even care that much anymore.

well so far ive tried blistex ,jojoba oil, and CUskin treatment. out of all of them im only using jojoba oil still. i use it along with chapstick. makes em a lil less noticeable for me. im jus trying to come up with some more money then im gonna try tretinoin cream.

Thanks for the update on how you're doing guys. I've recommended this thread to a few people who are interested in treating their fordyce spots so just so you all are aware that people do look up to you for information! Thanks again for the update. How is everyone else doing? Anyone else have something?