I suffered for years with numerous ultrasounds, ct's etc. finally a student performing the ultrasound for adenomyomatosis...scheduled for surgery can't wait to feel better - here's a link

http://www.belsurg.org/uploaded_pdfs/103/103_225_229.pdf

I had posted earlier on this site and am now scheduled for surgery on 11/15/10. I would like to share the results of the surgery with all and especially the guest who was wanting to collect data on the sucess of GB removal after an elevated ejection fraction on HIDA scan. My ejection fraction was 84%. How do I contact you? I am an RN and would also like to collect some data on this same topic. If our experiences can help others, I am glad to do what I can to educate physicians. How can we contact others privately on this forum?

My son is having these exact same problems. He began experiencing RUQ pain last April, along with nausea and back pain. He had a CT scan, an U/S and a HIDA scan. The HIDA scan showed an ejection rate of 29%. We saw two surgeons. The first surgeon was an adult general surgeon who wanted to take out his gallbladder. The second was a pediatric surgeon (my son is 15) who did not want to take it out. After 2 months of non-stop doctors appts. the pain finally went away. My son is having the exact same symptoms now, only worse. He also has diarrhea now. He had another HIDA scan last week, along with an U/S, bloodwork, and stool cultures. Everything came back normal and we were told that his ejection fraction is now 84% and that it is within normal limits. How can that possibly be? We have a follow-up appt with the gastro dr next week but we are at the end of our rope. Is it possible to go from a low ejection rate to a high ejection rate? How can this be normal?

Has anyone with a high ejection fraction had their gallbladder removed and had symptoms relieved? It seems like all of us who are thinking about or about to get surgery don't ever sign back on. I'm wondering if this is because things went well, and there is no more reason to come to a health site. I see some disaster stories but Dr.'s swear that is a minority of people and that when it goes well, nobody posts online, they just go back to their lives. I have a 99% ejection fraction. Have had acid reflux for over ten years and some lower GI issues now and then. No stones show, and after an endoscopy the GI specialist found that I have no ulcers or H. Pylori. My stomach is redder than it should be and he switched me off prevacid and on to aciphex. It helped with some of the nausea but I still feel nausea, weakness, occasional chills etc... I feel a pressure under my right rib and when it radiates to my back I'm unsure if its internal or knotted muscle. I'm 33 and pretty healthy. Because of my stomach sensitivity I've eaten well for a long time. I've had gastritis a few times when my acid got out of control. I'm wondering if my gb was behind that as well now. The surgeons say there is a 50/50 chance that removing the gb will help with symptoms. Its really hard to get an organ cut out when the odds are 50/50. That's why I want to hear more about people's post surgery experiences on the web. My GI specialist said he had seen some cases in which younger people have high ejection fractions and gallbladder attack symptoms. After noticing the acid meds werent giving me full relief he said that he thinks it may be the gallbladder and that removal will probably help. All this inexact guessing is frustrating given how much money folks make. I'm unsure why we have to pay for services whether they work or not in the medical field. Its not like you would pay for a car if it didnt work, but that is another story. So, has anyone with a high fraction had it removed and what were the findings when this happened? For those getting surgery can you please post back here? Thanks.

I had the very same frustration with people not replying after surgery. I had my gallbladder removed in November 2010 after they discovered a high ejection fraction. I didn't have ulcers (I did years ago) but during the scope they discovered I have gastroparesis. This wasn't suprising due to my GI motility and other medical issues. They found the gallbladder to be inflamed but my symptoms have not resolved. I continue to have the pressure under my rib cage and quite frankly it is driving me nuts! Recovery was not bad and by 2 weeks later I was back to normal. I DO NOT regret having the surgery despite the lack of symptom relief. Since they did find it was inflamed, it was just a matter of time before it would have needed to come out anyway. But I am very frustrated that the pressure under my rib cage continues. I am not a believer in chiropractors but I have turned to them to see if they are able to help this. So far I have only been there a couple times so it would not be fair to say if it will help or not. I have certainly been in your situation and I wish I would tell you that having it removed helped but I cant. I can reiterate that I do not regret having the GB out. Hope this helps.

Thank you! Did your nausea go away at least? Was pain under your rib your only symptom?

I have the exact same thing going on. Constant nausea, episodes of sharp right upper quadrant pain, abdominal ultrasound showed no stones, and my ejection fraction with my HIDA scan was 88%. I just had the radiology tests done yesterday, now the doctor wants to start me on Nexium and follow up in 4 weeks. I'm so frustrated...I have textbook gallbladder symptoms, but my gastroenterologist says it's not my gallbladder. I'm tired of feeling bad. What ever happened with your situation? Did your symptoms get worse? Have you gotten a cholecystectomy? Thanks.

Okay so I'm the guest who wrote an entry a few steps up with the 99% ejection fraction. My antacids weren't taking care of the nausea. Here is my update: I had my gallbladder removed a week ago. The pain has been manageable and is not that much of an issue. The strongest pain was when the gas they inject into your body to make room for the procedure lingers around in your body after surgery and creeps up painfully into the shoulder(s). It only lasted a few days and it would go away when I'd pile pillows in my bed so I was at an angle. I'm still sore under my right rib but its not that big of a deal. A bigger problem is digestion. I have diarrhea and fatigue. I don't have the intense nausea I had before so that is good. I have to travel soon for work so I'm hoping this all improves. We will see. I know there are medications that bind the bile which help with diarrhea if it doesn't improve on its own. Its only been a week so we will see. The truth is that you have no way of knowing how your body is going to react to the procedure, whether the symptoms are going to be relieved, and what new symptoms may appear afterward. Making the decision to do it or not depends on how miserable you are and if enough other options are ruled out. From what I read and hear the majority of people have their gallbladder removed and don't have complications. My GI Doc said, "you at least wont be worse off after the surgery, most people are fine". People who have extreme situations are in the minority it would seem, but they flock to the internet for support and information because they are largely neglected or not helped in traditional medical environments. As for me, I'm concerned about my digestion but before surgery I was getting nausea that would interfere with sleep and my day so I felt I had to do something. There is a chance it could come back later and this whole procedure was in vain, but so far I don't feel it. So that is my report 7 days out of surgery. Also keep in mind I am one case, so you can't generalize what happened to me to what may happen with you. Hopefully enough people will post their experiences so people can try to do more sense making. My Doctors said there was a 50/50 chance that it would improve based on my symptoms and high ejection fraction, which they admit there is not enough research on to know much about. Based on the type of symptoms they felt it was probably at least somewhat related to my gallbladder. Good luck to everyone.

Me again, just wanted to give a 2 week update. Feeling more normal now, digestion is stabilizing and haven't had diarrhea for a few days. Some soreness under right rib. No severe nausea like before thus far. Dr.'s say wait another 4 weeks before working out so I'll heed that advice. No nightmare tales yet!

Thanksfully I'm having my gallbladder removed on Monday 3/28/11 aftr a year and a half of nausea and the past 8 months in right back rib cage pain and now the pain is in the fron right below my right breast. My HIDA scan showed an ejection rate of 99% and last May my ultra sound found no gall stones but cycts on my liver. I also had an upper gi that showed everytihng was normal. During the HIDA scan my pain, constant belching, and passing gas was an exact duplicate of the symptoms I experience during what I consider an attack. Luckly I found a surgeon that is willing and recommends removing my gall baldder. I'm a little fearful but hope my condition improves. I'll give an update after the procedure.

I just had a hidiscan & a scope done. my gallbladder ejection fraction was 40%. on my paper is says normal is greater than 35%. my docter put me on some medicine called acipep and my insurance wouldnt cover it, so now im on prilosec. well the generic for prilosec. when i got my scope done he said i have esopogitis, and a hiatil hernia in my stomach, and my stomach lining is all burnt up from acid. after the scope, the docter said to come back in a couple months if my symptoms stay the same. well there the same! now i feel like something in my throat--its very wierd, but like something is stuck there, and i still get heartburn.. not NOTHING at all like i was .. but i can feel the sourness in my stomach still. sometimes if i eat fast or alot , i feel like im going to puke, for about 5 mins, then it goes away. i dont know whats going on. im tired everyday, have no energy. i know i shouldnt feel like an 80 year old when im 22!

Just got back from HIDA scan.  They did a slow rate ejection over 60 minutes.  The gall bladder completely disappeared - no dye left in it at all.  They said it was an ejection rate of 99.9%.  Then they called the doctor and he came to see.  They looked at it together and both said they had never before seen a 100% reading.  No real idea how to adapt diet, exercise, etc.  I was ready for the other end of the spectrum and for surgery. 

well, I have tried other things, natural herbs and trying to eat bland foods, Gallbladder problem just getting worse, surgery is only solution for me, I cant eat anything without it hurtn, I am losing weight, All I can tell you is surgery may be only solution for you

How is your son? Did he get gallbladder surgery?. I think gallbladder function goes back and forth, Mine was high when I had hida scan, but surgeon says high is bad also. I am going to have surgery, cant eat anything without it hurtn

what are they doing for your stomach being burnt up from the acid? that is dangerous. I suggest to help you out, get some aloe vera juice from health food store, It is called aloe gold, There is only one aloe vera juice that can help you, aloe gold, DO NOT GOTO GROCERY STORE, the aloe there isnt good,, Aloe gold will help with healing your stomach