how are you after the surgery? any better?

Hello, I am 23 years old and have been dealing with the same symptoms for over a month, and had a similar episode about 5 months ago. I have right upper abdominal pain under the ribs that moves to my back, I have nausea, loss of appetite, bloating, and get very fatigued and lightheaded. I had two negative ultrasounds for gallstones, upper GI endoscopy showing no ulcer, and now a CT scan (will get results monday or tuesday). 

I had a HIDA scan and my ejection fraction was 96%. My question is does this mean its possible a surgeon will remove my gallbladder??? My GI still is not convinced its the gallbladder and won't refer me to a surgeon, any suggestions???

I have missed two weeks of work and I am done with the pain and need a solution now. 

Hello, I have a 96% ejection fraction and have been dealing with the symptoms for over a month, missed 2 weeks of work, and can't take it anymore. I however, can't find a surgeon that will even consider taking it out with negative ultrasound and what they call an extra good gallbladder since mine works at 96%.

Is there a chance I can find a surgeon to take it out???

All I hear from surgeons is " I have never heard of an overactive gallbladder"

hi,

i'm in the same sort of situation as most. hyper-active gallbladder which is resulting in nausea, reflux, pain both under the rib cage and radiating around the to back, incredible gas (burping), fatigue and weightloss.

I've been suffering this for about 6 months and to have all bloods, ultrasounds, endoscopy, MRI CT and HIDA scans come back with nothing other than a high ejection rate (92%) is frustrating.

My surgeon has indicated that the hyperactive gallbladder could be caused by a food intolerance but apart from diet shakes (the protein kind) i cant seem to tolerate any food since my last attack (about 2 weeks now). i've learnt that some foods are worse than others and i stay clear of those, but when you cant even have a piece of cucumber, or be in a room with food because the smell sets you off, you start questioning things.
he has talked about laproscopic surgery for its removal, but isnt pushing it because he knows that it wont necessarily fix it and there may be an alternative option. i'm considering having tests done through my bowel and digestive system to rule out food intolerances and any other potential bowel issue that could cause this.

I'm sooo glad that i'm not the only one with these symptoms and not a lot of guidance on what treatments are available. i've tried both eastern and western approaches and still am suffering.

after reading a few pages of posts, its seems that even with the removal of the gallbladder, people are still suffering - albeit not as much. this makes me reluctant to have mine removed, but at 155cms (5'1) and having lost 6 kgs in a matter of months, there isnt going to be much of me left!!

i know there isnt any real point to my post other than the fact that I too am suffering with you all. Any information from anyone who has had their gallbladder removed would be great - have you had any improvement in your symptoms post 3 -4 months????

I have had all these symptoms for the past 6 months.  HIDA scan done today had a rate of 87% and I am going to see a surgeon on in a few days for a consult.    I am going to bring the article below with me.   Apparently a study was done and 97% of the patients had success from surgery.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCkQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.medscape.com%2Fviewarticle%2F705669&ei=X3XqTofYMaPW0QHk8_3ZCQ&usg=AFQjCNGiwnOxgyUSJWJfJTZJYKC30rbZRg&sig2=Rnw-s0FbDETcrKVnujqDGg

If the link doesnt work just google search  "Patients with high gallbladder ejection fraction benefit from surgery.   

GOOD LUCK!

Quote:
i posted this a month or so ago and thought i would follow up my experience.
After an endoscopy in November which again showed nothing, i was unable to physically ingest food for a month. i couldnt even be in the same room as a fragrant meal as it was setting me off.
about a month after the endoscopy, i had enough and booked in for surgery to remove my gall bladder.

10 days post surgery, i am doing WONDERFULLY. i'm eating one full meal per day - spread out over the whole day. lots of fresh fruits and veges.
it turns out that i had a 'strawberry gallbladder' and because the deposits were on the outside of the gall bladder, the MRI, Ultrasound, endoscopy etc didnt show it because they were looking INSIDE!!

i felt the benefits of the surgery almost immediately and ate a light lunch the day following surgery - something i had not done in over a month!

for those suffering from high ejection fractions, it would be worth having this investigated as its not that common and most surgeons wont actually look for it.

I have a 94% ejection fraction via Hida scan. I have an appointment with a GI specialist March 6th, 2012. I want to go in "armed" with knowledge regarding high ejection fractions and faulty gallbladders so I can end this suffering and be referred to a surgeon for gallbladder removal. Would you contact me with information?

THANK GOODNESS FOR THIS FORUM! I thought I was starting to lose my mind.

I have had on and off RUQ pain for the past 7 years. All of my test always come back normal. In 2007, I had my first HIDA scan and the EF came back at 84%. I was basically told that it was normal.

Just recently though (roughly 3-4 weeks), I have been having abdominal pain that will NOT go away. Granted, I have been told I have gastritis (found from an EGD done in 2007) and IBS. I don't really take anything for the gastritis becuase it has been manageable. And I know my IBS triggers (stress and certain foods) so I try to keep myself away from those things. My own primary care doctor gave me the typical pat on the head to assure me that it is not my gallbladder. Saying I don't fall within the four Fs (fat, female, forty and fair....I only fall under the female part). When I mentioned this to my mother she got very irritated. I come from a VERY extensive family history of gallbladder disease. My mother was 28yrs old when she had her gallbladder removed and my father's sister had her's removed at the age of 17. Neither one of them were 40 or fat. My most recent HIDA has come back at 85% BUT my gallbladder did have trouble producing bile prior to the second part of the scan. I am very, VERY thankful I have a GI doc who sees the pain I am in and has come to the conclusion that it is my gallbladder. I still have an EGD with bile collection to go but we both are on the same page to have the gallbladder removed.

Please let me know if anyone else has been having these issues too. I have the nausea feeling (with no matter what I eat) and I am alway burping. My pain is under my right ribs and goes into my back like a belt of pain. I did go to the ER and an ER doc did mention acalculous gallbladder disease. Even going as far as to tell me that just because there are no stones...doesn't mean that the gallbladder isn't diseased.

Going crazy here, too!

I had an "attack" approximately a year ago that felt exactly like what I now know to be gallbladder pain. It was so severe that I was admitted to the hospital. All tests came back negative, including a HIDA scan done 4 days after release from the hospital (I never knew results except that they were "fine". Of note, I ended up in in severe pain/dry heaves when they administered the CCK which was administered by hand). The only thing that they said was that I had a "fatty liver", which has NEVER been mentioned again (which will seem odd after you see all the tests that I have had.)

The pain went away until 3 days before Christmas this year I came down with pain that felt exactly the same. I was praying that it did not get worse. It did get worse but not as bad as the time before. I felt an intense squeezing/stabbing pain in the RUQ, radiating to my back. I do meet the classic "gall bladder picture", and was immediately sent for ultrasound of my kidneys and gallbladder. All normal. I should note that I have never associated any pain with any type of meal that I eat. I typically cook healthy, low-fat stuff for my family, only because my kids are girl teenagers and slightly weight obsessive and my hubby and I are a bit overweight.

CT of both also came back normal. Pain persisted. As I had microscopic blood in my urine, they went the kidney route first. Did a double ureteroscopy. This came back normal (and also landed me in the hospital for 3 days due to complications with my left kidney. Also other doctors have considered this test excessive for the pain and symptoms that I had, but that is irrelevant I guess).

Next was gastroenterologist for a colonoscopy. All normal except for a small benign polyp.

Primary doctor sent me to a surgeon for a consult. He sent me for a HIDA scan with CCK. I explained the results that I had to the tech before (extreme pain that was the same as when I was hospitalized the first time). She said that I wouldn't feel pain this time because the CCK would be injected over 30 minutes. WRONG!

First off, it took 36 minutes for my gallbladder to show up at all on the scan (that is according to whoever read the test. It was more like 45 before the tech stopped freaking out because she thought maybe she should have administered the CCK and the tracer at the same time as it all looked like it was going into my bowels). Then the little thing finally starts glowing on the screen. Next came the CCK injection, and WHAMMO, the pain. It didn't make me vomit, but it was the typical pain that I have been experiencing intermittantly for almost 2 months. (When the pain is not a stabbing pain it feels like there is a knot or a lump stuck in my chest, RUQ.)

After the test I was thirsty and took a gulp of diet coke as soon as I got in the car (I brought it with me for afterwards). I had the most awful burning pain in my stomach and actually did vomit. I ended up nauseaus and not able to eat much for the rest of the day. I have felt more bloated yesterday after the test and now today than I have since the pain came on, plus the pain is still there. I was also very belchy and had abdominal discomfort which I couldn't figure out.

My test results showed up online as "normal", with a 98% ejection rate. I have no idea what the surgeon will say. He did ask me if I have lost any significant work or family time since this started, and I said HECK YES.

I will do anything to resolve this pain. As diet doesn't seem to affect things, I do not know what to eliminate or cut out. I just need to get back to my life. I pray every day that this will just go away like last time. Thanks for listening. Will post what doc says. Hope others find some relief.

I just had an attack last week and I know I have a gallbladder attack so on Monday I started sneezing came down with a temps of a cold all the aches and pains of one upper respiratory congestion. I putting it down to my immunity system was down thus I caught the cold that was running around in my body

I had posted a few weeks back with a high ejection fraction (98%) and awful pain with the HIDA scan. It hurt all the time and did not seem to be food-related until after this test. Fortunately I only had to wait 9 days from the time of the HIDA till my surgery. My surgeon took the gallbladder out because of my reaction to this test.

The long and short - the pain actually got worse and worse after the HIDA until the day that they took my gallbladder out (yesterday).

I woke out of anesthesia and I no longer felt the pain that I had been experiencing every day all the time for 2 1/2 months. My doctor laughed at me for saying that it felt like the lump/rock of pain that had been lodged in my side/RUQ was no longer there... but it was the truth.

I haven't eaten much since the surgery yesterday (ended up being admitted to the hospital overnight even though it was laparoscopic due to intense abdominal cramping/pain that I think was caused by the gas), but the CONSTANT pain is gone. The doctor said that the surgery went well and the gallbladder looked fine / no stones, but was sent off to the lab. While I am curious to what they will find, the bottom line is that I am fixed.:-)

Hope this info helps someone else sometime.

Not sure of correct terminology but my 21 yr old daughter was told that 15% of her gallbladder works and she should have it removed.

She has had 2 CT's an ultra sound, and endoscopy and finally a Hida scan!! She has lost about 24 pounds. This has been going on for 3 months.

I still wasn't told why she is suppose to have her gallbladder out. Isn't 15 % of something better than nothing??She is only in pain when lying down at night. She is in great shape- a college soccer player. WE think she took all fats out of her diet and she needs to add good fats back in. ( olive oil, avocados, use real butter etc. organic apple and grape juice gets rid of the headaches..)

I am getting a second opinion re: surgery . We massaged her gallbladder pressure points ( between thumb and pointer finger) and her gallbladder flutters!

My daughter ,like you, wants the surgery but we are changing her diet and adding good fats and taking medicine for a trial period of time before we think about surgery. YOU should READ  what the side effects  are if you decide to have  gallbladder out. What is low ejection fraction? Is that the same thing as a sleepy gallbladder?  Best of luck to you.

I have been suffering for 2-3 months straight, day in and day out. Lost weight, dizzy, nausea, wicked bloated, pain in both RUQ and chest/back, sometimes I feel like it'd be easier to just take it out myself. Finally, my HIDA scan showed 94%, in which the nurse told me was normal. Luckily, I believe I have a surgeon who is going to take it out for me by next week. I havent been to work in over a month and my life has basically completely stopped, I'm always so tired, gas pains or I have to go to the bathroom a lot as well. It's just miserable. I will check back and let everyone know how my experience went. I hope the very best for you all. It's nice to have these forums, maybe the doctors should look them up and do their research on here! I am 21, female and was very active/ healthy when I first got sick. I never saw it coming.

I am a 60 year old male. Earlier this year I had a month and a half of diarrhea. After a colonoscopy and an endoscopy of the stomach and sm. intestine, I was diagnosed with celiac disease. Although a gluten free diet has helped, I now have nausea very often. It occurs about 1/2 hour or so after eating , sometimes goes away, but too often results in vomiting followed by 4-5 hours of diarrhea
I had a gall bladder ultrasound ( nothing remarkable) and a recent HIDA scan . THe ejection rate was 89 and a note was made that there was some refluxing of bile back into the stomach. I have no pains, but the unpredictable bouts with nausea/vomiting/diarrhea are problematic. My gastroenterologist says to make an appt to see him if the situation persists for another 2-4 weeks.
Anyone have a similar situation? Did getting the gall bladder removed help?

Frustrated

Just wondering what was your result with your gallbladder... I too had a 99% EF on my HIDA....