Hey all. These couple of days have been a nightmare to me. My dog got hit by a car about two weeks ago. Everything is fine now, that same day he got hit, Tobby was back on his paws, we went to the vet and he checked everything. He said there’s no need to worry and that everything was fine. But what came after is what I’m dealing with now. Ever since that car accident Tobby has been having sleeping problems. He refuses to eat and it seems to me that everything is the result of the stress he has been through. Is that’s possible? I don’t know what to do. :/

Hello. This can be serious problem that is connected with anxiety in dogs. That is why you need to seek a vets help ASAP! When your dog won’t eat that is a sign of stress. And why stress happened I can’t tell you exactly. But you need to try to help him very soon because he might become depressed. And depressed dog is a huge problem. Stress is normal part of any animal’s life. A few dog owner can recognize the most common signs of stress and anxiety in their dogs before is too late. When he refuses to eat and when he doesn’t want to sleep, that is problem that you need to get rid of.

Well the stress obviously came from that car situation. :/ He has been acting that way ever since. You are probably right about the visit to the vet, but I have  already been to the vet twice since the accident happened and he told me that he went through a stressful situation and that he will be ok in a day or two. But it’s been a week since that appointment and about two weeks since the accident. He should be ok by now, right? I really don’t know what to do with him. :/ Anyone here ever had similar experience?

Hey there Dalmatian Lover. Yes, I am pretty sure that this is the cause because your dog is stressed.

I know it because my first neighbor had the same situation with her dog a few weeks ago.

I also agree that the vet is the best option but sometimes vet can’t help your dog in this situation. Maybe he just needs YOU around him ALL THE TIME.

You need to teach him again that he is safe and that he can go outside. But you need to go step by step with him. I think that he is in that stage when he doesn’t trust anyone around him. Show him that you are with him and don’t force him to eat too often.

Try to eat with him, at his corner. Maybe he will start to eat as well.

Good luck!

@Millie-cat Thank you so much. I read your reply 4 hours ago and I thought I should give it a try. I went to sit on his orange lazy bag with a sandwich. When he saw me sitting on it, he seemed a bit surprised cause I never sit there. Then I started eating my sandwich in front of him without offering him. First he was like –naah , not interested. But then when he saw I’m coming to the end of the sandwich he came and gave me his paw, which he usually does when he wants something. I pulled out a piece of bacon and gave it to him and he ate it. He is progressing!

Hey there.

@Dalmatian_lover you don’t have idea how happy I am because this works. It is just like some type of reverse psychology. I believe that this is helpful and I was pretty sure that I was watching some show with some dog expert who was telling exactly the same thing like I told you.  Maybe you should try to give him something that he usually doesn’t eat – some treats, maybe that piece of your sandwich. It is “forbidden” for him and that is why he might like it.

But take it slowly.

How is he today? :) Good luck!

Hello.

I am glad to inform you that we’re feeling better today! ^_^  

He is still a bit stressed, people keep telling me ‘’he seems fine now’’, but I spend a lot of time with him and I can recognize when he is not ok. For example when I tell him ‘’let’s go for a walk’’ he would normally become hyperactive and now he barely even looks at me.

He refused to eat kibble today but I tried to give him my hamburger . He didn’t want the bread but then I pulled out the meat and he ate it.

I hope that in a few days he will be better.

Hey everyone.

Just take it slow :) I am sure that after a while he will be totally fine. Tnx for those advice I think that they would be very helpful if this happens to my Boo someday.

There is one more advice that can help you :) You can try to find some good music that can relax him. When my Boo is stressed sometimes (that is for a short time) I always find some relaxing music such as Mozart.

Maybe it is silly but it is helpful.

You can try it and I am sure that this dog will be better very, very soon :)

I am glad your dog is feeling better.

I believe he will be better every day as the time passes. And eventually he will forget about that car accident and he will go back to being just as good as before.

I don’t know if this is effective, but I have heard that there are these collars that you can buy, similar to those collars against fleas just slightly different, and they are supposed to help the dog to deal with stressful situations.

Yon try it, it can’t hurt him.

Or you can try lavender to help him calm down and feel peaceful again.