Hello all. I have found some great recipes for doggy biscuits on this site. I love the idea of sharing experiences about pets so I will make an account here one of these days so you can send me private messages and we can exchange experiences. But I need to remember my email first. I have a c. spaniel , she is 6 years old. My plan is to start making homemade biscuits or at least to buy them in pet shops when I’m not able to make them. What I wanted to ask you is how much calories do those doggy biscuits contain? Thank you!

Hey Marcia,

Glad that you decided to join the team here. :)

The amount of calories in doggy biscuits depends on what the biscuits are made of, of course. If you are going to make these biscuits yourself, than you can count them yourself. But basically, the calories are between 10 and 60. In some cases, there can be even more calories, like for example, if you make peanut butter biscuits, it goes somewhere around 100 calories.

You shouldn’t give your dog too many of these biscuits. You should give him about three of these a day. You can split them in 3 pieces so you can get nine in total.

Hello. :)

It depends on do you buy them or you make them. Doggy treats are good, I made them for my pet but I always make sure that they do not contain more than 50 calories.  When you are buying them, well that is the risk. Why? Because a lot of treats, cookies and biscuits that you buy are unhealthy and full of sugar. In that case the amount on calories is bigger. If you want to feed your dog with them, my advice is to make them. That is the only way to be sure. Also, don’t feed your dog with a lot of biscuits.

One is enough per day or two.

Hello. I am making treats for my dog as well. I think that this is the best way to control calorie intake for him. I am making biscuits and I am feeding my dog with them there times a week. That is totally enough. But this still depends on your dog’s level of activity and his weight. For example 20 – pound dog may burn only 700 calories per day. In this case doggy biscuit should have up to 70 calories. If you dog is overweight calorie intake should have between 30 and 50 calories. Treats that you ca buy are dangerous for your dog because they can contain more than 250 calories.

Hey there. Well as far as I know, the average calorie need of 20 pound dog is less than 700 calorie. To be precise, it is 690 calories.

How you can determine the number of calories your dog can receive from treats? With your vet of course.

If you want to buy a dog treats you should try Milk Bone – Original Dog treat. It is proven that those biscuits have little calories but you should give your dog one per day or even two days.

It taste great, it is healthy and it has good ingredients.

But I agree with the rest of the “team” – it is better option to make them.

I have these super delicious biscuits that I make for my dogs.

My oldest dog adores them while the youngest is not so keen on them.

But I know they’re delicious because whenever I give them to some of my friends who have dogs, their dogs go crazy over it. If you want I can give you a recipe, just PM me.

Anyway, back to your question.

Well, I think that these biscuits that I make contain somewhere around 80 calories maybe.

I keep an eye on make dog when I make them, I don’t want him to eat too much of them.

A hundred calories is definitely too much for biscuits, especially for my dog who is 8 years old. I’m not sure if it’s a good idea for me to give him any sorts of biscuits and treats since his caloric intake should now be lower. He is my little fatty, I practically started jumping him over when I  found him spread on my carpet, cause it seems easier for me to overjump him than for him to move with all the weight he is carrying.

I used to buy him some treats, but they were around 60 calories I think, not more.

I am totally aware that doggy biscuits have so many calories so when you are giving them to your dog you need to be very careful. If your dog is younger I suppose that won’t make so big harm to them like when your dog is adult and older.

I make them but I really take a good care of the calories that are in the cookies and I really take a good care of my dogs when they are eating them. Remember optimum is 50 calories per cookie and that means that you should give him just one biscuit per day.

Oh thank you for all your answers. I completely forgot about this topic I started here. I came on this site today to check for a completely different thing regarding my health and that’s when I remembered I should look this topic up to see if there are any answers here. It looks like I’m getting old. :) And I must say it was a pleasant surprise to see so much feedback. Ok, so 50 calories, got it. If there is anything else I should know, biscuit related, write it!

Kisses for all from Marcia