I think you are all wrong. I read somewhere, can't find the page again that the itching is caused by mast cell degeneration which leads to histamine release in the areas of the body that feel the most impact as you walk or run. These are mostly the thighs, legs, love handles (which also jiggle the most if you have them), etc. I do not experience this in a hot shower so it cannot be body temperature. I also do not experience this when I use the elliptical or bicycle etc. so it cannot be increased blood flow. This explanation makes the most sent to me because I only experience this when I walk or run on hard surfaces. As the impact of the hard surface hits my body, these mast cells break open to release histamine that cause itching. It is worst in the lateral parts of my body e.g. thighs, lovehandles etc. and the only thing that helps is taking an antihistamine like zyrtec 30 minmutes prior to exercise. Makes sense now huh?

Ps. Sometimes during sex, if you partner is hitting you hard enough, you may start to feel itching around the areas of your body that feel the most impact from this...again, the ever guilty lovehandles are no. 1 for me.

I too have the same problem. Mine has been ongoing for about 5 years now. I moved to Texas four years ago and it has worsened.I itch while exercising,in the hot shower,when the sun hits my skin. It only calms down for me when I cool off. My doctor thinks I should try antihistamine prior to exercising. :cry: My other doctor thought it could probably be vitamin D deficiency.

you all have no idea how comforting it is to hear your comments. I have been dealing with this problem for a while & i thought it was going crazy and when i described the sensation to people- they interpreted it as soreness from working out or dry skin- it feels like burning & itching and i agree scratching only makes it worse-My father thought it was circulation from not working out consistently-but with the pain it is hard too-i have found that it happens when i walk- when i do the elyptical it is fine-i will try what the guest said about wearing tights n long pants.. i have been embarrassed n been in so much pain that i could cry- it is so strange because it happens after 15.00 min.. thanks so much you have no idea

thanks! i've been trying to find out why i itched when i worked out, especially after not working out for a week and then resuming my work out i thought i was the only on with this problem has my fitness instructor didn't know what I was on about. I will try the antistamine in future. :-)

I looked this up on ******since I have the same problem. Medical experts say this. If it's like me I tend to itch in the areas that have the most fatty tissue (my legs, stomach). It does ago away as I get back in shape (but if I stop have to go through this all over again)

A. Don't worry; you aren't alone on this problem. It usually occurs during exercise performed after a long period of inactivity. The itching is not on the skin, it is inside the skin.
You see, there are millions of tiny capillaries and arteries inside our muscles which expand rapidly due to the demand for more blood that is brought on by exercise. When our bodies are sufficiently fit, these capillaries remain open allowing maximum blood passage, but, when unfit and inactive, they tend to collapse, allowing only minimal blood passage (which is sufficient for a sedentary person, however). The rapid expansion of these vessels causes adjacent nerves to send impulses back to the brain which are interpreted as an itch.

The problem should go away once you have increased your fitness level.

For most people this is due to their normal allergies. You can avoid it by not eating within 3 hours of exercising and/or avoiding common allergens (wheat gluten, fruits, pollen, etc.)

Thanks, guys. I didn't know a single person with these symptoms till now. My friends thought I was using it as an excuse not to exercise. But does anyone know what this is called?

I have had the same problem since I was about 23 (i'm 31 now). It is unbearable for me after about 10-15 minutes. From my extensive research, I've gathered the following (which makes the most sense to me):

"It usually occurs during exercise performed after a long period of inactivity. The itching is not on the skin, it is inside the skin.

The problem should go away once you have increased your fitness level."

thank you all so much. i tried the anti histamine (zyrtec and claritin) and it really works!!!! i thought i was the only one going through this ordeal. i feel so relieved!!! thanks

I use to itch really bad when exercise, and for me I think it was circulation. so i tried taking not quite a 4th of a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and drink a glass of warm water 3 to 5 minutes before working out and it work. I have no more itching when i work out. I take every time i workout. Cayenne pepper is red pepper. This might sound crazy but it really works!

When I first begin an exercise program and haven't exercised in awhile my legs start itching like crazy. My theory is that after exercising for a few minutes it gets the blood flowing and it begins to release toxins out of the skin pores. Those toxins are what causes the itching. After I've exercised for a week or so it starts to go away. I believe the itching is from the toxins coming out of the skin pores (that have built up over the long period of time since I've NOT been exercising). Eventually it will go away but in the meantime it drives you crazy!

The itching while you exercise usually goes away with consistent exercising. Your body is getting used to the blood flowing more and differently I believe. Do as much as you can WITHOUT ITCHING, until it is bad enough that it starts to make you crazy, then stop. The next few days will be the same, but then it will go away altogether if you are fairly consistent. If you go a few days (like 3-5) without exercising, the itching will start again. When I begin a new exercise routine, I plan on doing about 10-15 min each day or 10-15 min twice a day for a few days, and then the itching will be gone. Also, it is very motivating for me to get on the treadmill or whatever each day just so I don't have to go through the itching phase that makes me crazier than ANYTHING! Good luck and being consistent is the key to no itching!

yeah man, my skins been itching since i was little. i am 24 now. i know what you guys are going through. usually keeping active for four days takes mine away. though soon as i take a break, i get all itchy again. the guy trying to give advice has no idea what we're talking about. i just decided to look up if this has a name or something

I have this same problem. I went to the doctor about it because it was so bad I couldn't take it anymore. He said it is "exercise induced urticaria". If I take Allegra a few hours before I work out I don't itch at all anymore.