Ditto on what some other posters have said about this being caused by inactivity. I too have experienced this itching. For me, when I get really out of shape and pack on a few pounds the itching occurs. It only lasts from a few days to a few weeks and then goes away as I get back into shape.

My advice for others would be to keep at it! Take short breaks if you have to but don't give up. You must get into some sort of routine (3-5 days a week) Also, make sure you change your diet. You want to feed your body the best fuel you can so your body will work to it's fullest potential :-)

I had the exact same problem since I was a kid, Im 23 now, and finally went to a doctor, who actually understood. She prescribed me Allegra and said i have to take everyday for ever, b/c i have extra histamine in my blood, so to combat it i need antiuhistamine. Ive been takin gfor a year and there was a noticeable difference after 3 weeks. woo hoo! TRUST me, it works and it changed my life.

i had my first experience of this unbearable itch 9 years ago which was caused by dry skin and unfitness, the more i tried to exercise my entire body would just itch so i quit sport. 8 years later i'm doing muaythai and doing weight lifting 5 days a week. i'm quite well built and i drink about 3 liters of water a day but only get this ITCH when i walk on the treadmill/run, skip or even when i get busy excessively i have to stop because the itch drives me insane. so it definitely has to do with blood CIRCULATION. i think what we need is tips on how to cure this ITCH. i swear i'd do anything to get rid of this itch. anybody with cure PLEASE.
Johannesburg(SA)

I have the very exact problem. My legs itch and burn like madness after exercising. I once had a terrible episode after showering and had to rush to the emergency room. I was given high doses of steroids and a antihistimine. I dealt with this problem for several years without any diagnosis. However the anithistimine did WONDERS for me! It is definitely my miracle drug! Take one first thing in the morning and your good for the rest of the day.. All it takes is one.. Try a cheap over-the-counter brand or claritin or benadryl. Believe me it works! And I live by it!

I actually have the same problem. It's when your core temperature begins to rise, your body releases histamines basically. You then start to itch, and it's one you can't scratch for relief. Trust me i've been embarrassed in the gym working out, then running out the class because it's unbearable. Then all of a sudden when your body cools down and you actually start to relax the itching goes away. Symptoms range from nothing to huge welts, hives, and raised red skin. Thankfully i am on the low end. I sympathize with those who aren't.

There is a sports medical term for it. It's called "urticaria".The answer for me was to take benedryl or some histamine blocker 30mins to an hr before you workout. Of course the side effect is sleepiness unless you can find a non drowsy form. If i'm power walking, it does start to tingle but i've found i can walk through it. Each person my be different but i knew i'd try anything for relief. Eventually i'm hoping i can ease off the benedryl, i don't have allergies and i don't want the drug in my system constantly.

Hope this helps,
from one scratcher to the next, lol

I can't believe how many other people have this problem!! And how few GOOD answers there are out there!

I get severe itching all over when I exercise, too. But I did notice a pattern.. it's worse when I'm outside, or like the previous poster, when it's colder. Every week, I do a 90 minute Bikram yoga class, which is intense exercise in a room that reaches 105 degrees, and I never itch at all there. It's the only place I can get great cardio without itching. My body sweats a lot, so maybe it's the moisture.

But I don't have dry skin in general, and I don't have any allergies. There's nothing special I eat before exercise. It really does feel like a circulation issue. I just wish there were more answers for us! Maybe it's a disease that has yet to be discovered or named.

Thank you all so much! I just got back from walking, and this happened to me. I was planning on walking for at least an hour, but after 20 minutes my legs started itching terribly. I felt, like some of you said, like I was going insane. I was at a public park with a lot of people around, so I couldn't scratch my legs. After a few minutes of sitting down, the itching stopped, so I started walking again, but my legs started itching again right away. I finally got home, where I scratched my legs until they were completely red and I was crying. Like I said, I thought I was going insane.
After taking a shower, I felt much better. I was extremely relieved to find out that this is a somewhat common problem.

I also think that this happens to me partly because of the temperature, because I'm not overweight, and I was walking every day for 40 minutes (20 at a time) for about 6 weeks and had no problem. Today the air was a little cool and I was wearing shorts. Also, I remember playing soccer one or two times years ago when the temperature was cold, in about the low 50s or high 40s, and my legs itched.

I am not a doctor but I had the same problem when weight lifting I found that baby powder really helped me. Apply it before you start working out to the areas and it should help

I can't say that I'm a doctor about anything. I get severe itching on my body when I do most aerobic activities, so badly that it results in me itching my skin enough so that I wake up the next day with little scratches from where my nails have been. In my case, when I ignored all of these signs and continued to plug on through the itching, my throat closed up and I had to go to the hospital (@ 45 minutes in.) Furthermore I noticed that when I started to exercise my body fat increased and my lean muscle decreased...regardless of my diet/consistency/or otherwise.

Up to this day I haven't lost a single pound of body fat that I accumulated over the years...and I think it has to do with all of this. Eventually, because I stoped breathing, I qualified to fit the diagnosis of Exercise-Induced Anaphylaxis, aggravated by diet. Unsatisfied with the treatment of simply tons and tons of meds, I did series of personal experiments and have learned a lot. My case has to do with the recirculation of fatty deposits among my body, this I am positive and have the proof to show for it. I speculate it has to do with stored toxins in such tissue that gets brought into my system by recirculation. Upon hitting my blood stream I experience a strong allergic response that can continue perpetuity, so long as blood circulates through passageways it hadn't been for ages. Weight loss/gain is merely indirectly effected by the process, as it always is with allergies.

Overall I urge you to speak with an allergist if the itching is really abnormal or increasingly gets worse and introduce the idea of Exercise-Induced Anaphylaxis...because not all Anaphylaxis stops you from breathing. It's not a very pleasant diagnosis because treatment is limited, but you may just fit the bill.

Thanks for your comments I to have had this problem for awhile and my friends think I am crazy when I tell them it is good to know I am not alone. I think I will try the anihistime it sounds logical. Thank you all a bunch :-D

My wife does too. We think it is exercise induced anaphylaxis. We are currently troubleshooting what allergies cause hers.

I have the same problem with exercising. I call it the icthy burny pain. It gets so bad where I can't even think or move. Then when you scratch it, it starts to burn even more. My gums start to hurt to. This mostly happens to me when I exercise outside.

I have suffered from this for 30 years and, like others, find it occurs mostly whilst (rather than after) walking (I don't run). My last (and very recent) occurrence (on a warm summer day) was after only 0.5 miles into my walk. I seem to be OK with tennis. I have suspected it might be a circulation issue, as with weekly walking I think it improved. It occurs from knees to thighs with loose and tight fitting pants, and with shorts (so I've concluded it's not a friction issue). During dry cold weather, I tried applying moisturising lotion, and thought that it may have had a positive effect - or was it simply that I was another week into my walking regime and therefore with improved circulation; or even just the rubbing motion that started off the circulation?

This is so debilitating that I really need an answer. I can't swim due to swimmers-migraine; rotator-cuff and frozen shoulder issues have stopped my tennis; and knee issues stop other knee-stressing exercise. Walking is about the only exercise I can now do. It's amazing that so many others suffer and yet there seems to be no real understanding - and little sympathy from the medical community.

I have been reluctant to use antihistamines, but given what others have said, I shall from now.

I do think there could be a genetic link, as my daughter has this too (to a lesser degree). She had skin sensitivities as a younger child - perhaps there is a link? I myself have had a sun allergy (lasting many years starting from when I was a child) where my arms and legs would itch and get red in a similar way, but with exposure to the sun (I was OK if I kept in the shade). It was only in the last decade that I have also acquired an allergy to tree pollen.

I do hope this inspires further debate, understanding ... and solutions!

Everybody keeps responding that they have the same thing, but nobody is being diagnosed. My entire body breaks out in a burning, itching, tingling feeling whenever I try to exercise, go out in the heat, get into an emotional conversation, laugh to hard ( during a movie or watching a stand-up comedian) and certain times just randomly. I've tried all the hisatmine blockers ( both type 1 and type 2), had blood work done, had a brain and upper spine MRI and I am currently working with a neurologist to try to figure this out. It is so bad when it happens that it is seriously impacting every aspect of my life. It's been going on for 8 months now and there is no relief in sight. I wish people would stop coming on here and saying they have the same thing. We know there are many of us out there, so it's not necessary for people to keep adding that they have it too. Let's see if there is anyone that can post what to do about it. Let's hope someone figures it out soon. I for one am getting very tired of living this way and don't know how much longer I can put up with it. I am a 43 year old male and other than this, I am in excellent physical condition and lead a very healthy lifestyle with no drugs, alcohol or any other negative situations. Thanks for hearing my rant and good luck to everyone.

Your problem is exactly like mine. I was just thinking about taking an antihistimine before doing exercise next time without knowing that somebody else have done it already. I am glad to read your post! I pray that one day someone will find a cure for this.