Do you know something? I actually get this too! I had no idea that other people suffered from it but I know what it is. I think that it's actually associated with dry skin. I didn't start feeling it until I was a teenager. My theory is that it's either hormones or dry skin, because I don't feel this way all the time. Usually I have that feeling in the summer. Does that sound accurate?

thanks..i have been looking for a solution for this itching problem for over 10yrs! I will definately try antihistamines!

Now that you post this, I think I'll try the same thing. My friend was talking the toher day about how she was diagnosed as being allergic to exercise and I thought that might actually make a lot of sense because I always get sick after some physical exertion. That's a good idea for heading it off at the pass.

I must join in and say I experience this problem too. Sometimes when I exercise(mainly doing cardio), it can be excruitating that I just have to sit down. I first noticed this in my early teens when I would walk for long periods of time, but noticed it would occur mainly when the air is cool outside(Fall/Winter/early spring). During the Summer months I could walk several miles, and no problems. For years, I would try to explain this to people, but no one understood, but now one of my close friends has told me she experiences it as well, but not as sever as my case. As i've gotten older, i've noticed now when I'm trying to get on a regular workout schedule, I'm feeling it when i'm inside as well. I've recently started back working out doing some cardio....then boom, here comes the itching, where I have to stop for a few minutes. I mainly get it in my thigh area, but sometimes I start itching around the waist area. I have never been told that i've had any allergies, and I never break out. I used to scratch with my nails and notice little bruises, so now I just rub it. It eventually cools down and I can start back up. Its just really aggravating. I'm starting to believe its a circulation problem as well. I just wish there was something that I could do without taking any type of medication. I would be so happy to have this healed....

I get this too. I find moisteriser helps, but doesn't solve the problem completely. What also helps is wearing a warm fleece or sweater when exericising, and long pants. I find it induces the itch earlier when I am running, as my body heats up quicker, and once I am warmed up totally and begin to perspire the itch seems to fade away.

So the key is to stay really warm at the start of the run/ walk etc, and then take off your sweater/ fleece once you are warmed up and perspiring. It wont eradicate the itch completely, but it will signicantly reduce its duration.

If only there was a total cure.

The weather plays a huge part, I find.

I am yet another person who suffers with whatever this is. I have only ever met one other person who experiences this itching, burning sensation when exercising and we are both have fair, sensitive skin.

I too notice if I dress warmly as I start to exercise it seems to help so I do think it's related to circulation.

People tell me to exercise through the itching and it might go away but they have no idea how painful it can be. I had given up on trying to take long walks but now will try some of the ideas raised in this forum.

I FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS IMMEDIATALLY! ICY-HOT! IT WORKED FOR ME! TRY RUBBING IT ON YOUR SKIN RIGHT WHEN YOU FEEL IT COMING!

Both my daughter and I suffer with this itching sensation when exercising. I've noticed that when I first start exercising, the itch is very, very bad and unbearable. If I continue exercising on a regular basis, the itching subsides and eventually, I do not have any itching. If I stop exercising for a period of time and then start back again, I will start with the itching sensation again. I've never understood why, but this is a R-E-A-L problem, that no one seems to understand very well, except those who suffer from it.

Have the same problem and I take a loratadine about 30 minutes before I start working out it's actually called
exercised induded anaphaylaxsis so try that an see if it work

if I can quickly explain what is happening: the same chemicals that vasodilate your blood vessels to help blood flow to parts of your body that aren't used to that sort of movement, also happen to make you itch (think histamine). it's very natural and common, and in most cases will go away with repetitive exercise. good luck!

A common cause of itching (particularly in the extremities) when exercising is constricted capillaries caused by a lack of exercise! When your blood circulates more than your body is used to, it puts pressure on your capillaries which can feel like an itching sensation that can't be satisfied by scratching. Fortunately, blood vessels are somewhat elastic, and typically it will go away if you keep up your exercise routine as your circulation improves and your capillaries expand.

I have had the same problem for years. When I walk briskly/run after a long hiatus, the intense itching occurs. If I walk/run 5-7 times a week, eventually after approxiimately two weeks, it goes away. However, if I again stop for a period of time, I have to go through the "itch" stage again.
It begins approximately 10 minutes into the walking, generally starts in the legs and progesses in intensity. I try like heck to not itch, as that seems to help, but is very difficult. I have itched until I've made scratch marks and drew blood, it itches that bad. It generally "travels" from legs on up to abdomen.
I am not allergic to my clothes, I don't eat generally before exercising as I do this first thing in the a.m. It only occurs during intense walking/jogging/running, not weight training, etc. and eventually stops happening.
I have not tried an antihistimine before exercising, but I plan to. Also, in my youth, I have had bouts with hives...not sure if there's any relation.

Hey,

I have close to the same problem, But I only get this problem in the summer time. If I exercise in the house in the cold air am fine. In the same atmophere when my body goes into over drive and my heart rate goes up my feet and hands start thus burning itching sensation that gets on my nerves really bad. I have to rub my feet and hands until they stop itching when my heart rate go down. My question is I want to know why it is happening and how to get it to stop without taking drugs. I want the reason way it is happening and the cure not a temp fix. ! :-| o.O :O %-) >:( :'( XD

Well I went to a dermatologist and they prescribed me Allegra 180 for this I have all of thee above.........and once I pop a pill maybe every other day I have no problems she said it was a skin allergy. Hope this helps. Also my brother has the same problem and when I told him what my doctor said and about the allegra he told his pcp and they gave it to him and it works for him as well.

Your body is reacting to increased blood flow in areas that doesn't normally receive a high volume of blood. It goes away (at least for me) after a while, but as soon as you become inactive for an extended period of time it can come back. This usually occurs in people with poor circulation or low blood pressure.

Strangely enough, hot showers applied to the area that experiences this phenomenon before you exercise will lessen the itch (at least it did for me).

I am not a doctor, and this is not medical advice.