I want to know of any good parathyroid surgeon in DC metro area(VA/MD/DC)? I am diagnosed with parathyroid tumor(Hyperparathyroidism).

I'm having my minimally invasive parathyroid surgery done by William Kortz at porter Adventist Hospital in Englewood, Colorado. he comes highly experienced and recommended.
JCHP

That sounds great! Do you feel really comfortable with him? Do you know if he uses the radio probe and/or intraoperative PTH monitoring?

Please let us know how your surgery goes. It might take a while for your body to adjust but I'm sure you will feel much better.

I wish you the best. mass

Guest wrote:

I found one!!! I have been looking for a long time and finally found someone to do the surgery. Dr Norman was slightly rude when responding to my email. He did not care and did not want to help me find anyone close as I could not go to FL.
Babak Larian, M.D not only does the same surgery with a lot of experience, but does not charge an additional $1000.00 just because you are out of state. He was helpful in responding to my questions and was more concerned about my getting what I needed, not that he, himself did the surgery.
Its scheduled for april 9, 2008 and I will let you know how it goes. below is all of his info......

Babak Larian, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery - UCLA
Director, Cedars-Sinai Head and Neck Cancer Center
8670 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 200
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
Tel (310) 657-2253
Fax (310) 657-0776

Well, apparently it's been two years since you had your parathyroid surgery. I'd be very interested to hear how it went, how well the doctor performed, and it if was the RadioGuided surgery with the intrasurgical testing of the parathyroids like Dr. Norman does. I hate to pay the now $1500 conference cost for Dr. Norman. Would really love to find someone in California, Colorado or Arizona since it's less expensive for me to fly there.

Hope all turned out well!!!

Anonymous wrote:

JCHP

Please let us know how it all went - whether it was radioguided and intrasurgical testing, etc.

Just diagnosed and looking around for a surgeon closer to home than Dr. Norman, but with same credentials. One website recommends that such a surgeon should do at least 50 parathyroid surgeries per year without complications before you use him/her. And, they recommend that you never by shy about asking - a good doctor won't be offended.

Anxious to hear how it went!

Hi Granny,

The post you quoted was not mine but Dr Larian did my thyroid/parathyroid surgery 15 months ago and I recommend him highly. He is an excellent surgeon and a very nice person. He does use intraoperative PTH monitoring and uses the radio probe when needed. He did need it for my surgery because the adenoma could not be located ahead of time. The surgery was at Cedars-Sinai - one of the best hospitals anywhere. I went home the same day and the entire experience was positive. My scar is about an inch and the only pain med I needed was two Tylenol when I first woke up.

I suggest that you search for Dr Babak Larian's website and watch the video there. Then you should call or email him. He will call you and answer any questions you have. I talked with him about ten times before I went to CA for my surgery. Dr Larian and his staff are very caring and helpful. He is the best of the best. I wish you well. mass

mass wrote:

Hi Granny,

Sorry for the mess up on the quote. Hope I have the "hang of it" now. :)

I will follow through with this. I finally found a site that was NOT put up by a doctor promoting his "way" as the "only way" (as you know there are a number of those), and I got a lot of great answers. I found that not all of those who are promoting their medical practice are necessarily wrong - but there are some cost issues with paying for consultations, insurance coverage, etc. The site is American Assn of Endocrine Surgeons site at if anyone is interested in the pros and cons of all of the various surgical techniques.

You are a gem for providing the answer to my question. I am so glad that the surgery was a success for you, and that you had a good experience with your surgeon. Hallelujah! LOL

So now I would like to "pump" you with a couple of more questions if that's all right: (And I will go to his website and perhaps have some of these questiions answered there).

Since I have to pay to fly from Montana to California if I use this surgeon, I'd like to know if there is some relatively inexpensive motel/lodging nearby? Is it easy to access the doctor's office and the hospital?

Did you have to travel there for a consult, then go back and have scans, then go to have surgery, then go for a post-op. That can get pricey on the flight end. If I could send records, pay for a pre-consult over the phone, then fly down and do scans then surgery the same time, that would be great.

Were you able to travel well within a few days, or did you need to stay awhile for stitches, etc.

I am debating on whether to have any scans done here (my endocrinologist has diagnosed me thru labs, osteoporosis, etc, but has referred me to a local ear, nose & throat doc for the surgery. Neither of our two local hospitals offer radioguided surgery, and they do fewer Sestamibi scans. According to all I've read, a key to good scans is top quality equipment and top technicians with lots of experience.).

Again, you are a gem for helping out here. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that this can be VERY discouraging.

Thanks again for the post!

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Yes, I know how frustrating it is. It took me a year to get to surgery. My scan was negative and my calcium was normal so my endo was convinced that no one would do surgery under those circumstances and I don't think I would ever have gotten to surgery if I hadn't found Dr Larian.

I had a scan here (CO) but it didn't show an adenoma. Dr Larian offered to look at it and he couldn't see anything definite either. He suggested that I get a CT scan with contrast and send it to him. He still couldn't see an adenoma. I asked what to do and he said I just had to decide whether I wanted surgery under those circumstances. I didn't think my endo would agree to that and he offered to talk to her. They talked for 20 minutes and she was all for the surgery. I had a very large thyroid nodule and they agreed that it should be removed and it would take at least one lobe of the thyroid with it. So, he really didn't know what else he would find. Turns out, the adenoma was hidden by the nodule and would probably never have showed on a scan. He was able to leave one lobe of the thyroid and on the pathology report, the lobe that was removed had two small cancers that had been undedectable. That is not unusual but I was so relieved that they were already out. He said that my scan was a good one but the adenoma just couldn't be seen.

I only went to CA for the surgery. I went the day before and I had an appt in his office that afternoon. I had a 10 minute scan before surgery. The stitches were underneath - nothing to remove. He said I should be okay to travel on the third day but we opted to stay for a week to do some sightseeing and visit friends. Since I was still in town, he had me come in for a check the day I was leaving. Nothing could have been smoother. Don't be afraid to contact him and ask questions, even if you aren't sure you want to go there. He is very easy to talk to. After surgery I had his cell # and instructions to call him day or night with any problem or question.

They gave me a list of hotels with a very big price range. Nothing is super cheap in Hollywood but there are a couple that aren't too bad. We took one of the less expensive ones and it would have been okay for a couple of days but we weren't impressed with a week there. Would pay a few more dollars if we did it again. They are all very near - office and hospital were 3-5 minutes away.

My biggest problem was an irritated throat from the breathing tube since I had general anesthesia for the type of surgery I required. Cold drinks felt good and I used an ice pack when I went to bed.

I hope you find a great surgeon. None of them charge to look at your records or charge more because you are out of state. My insurance covered everything except the travel/hotel. Ask all the questions you want. mass

mass wrote:

.........skip.......

Thanks so much. I will check him out. Re: looking at records - a female surgeon in Seattle does only charge $100 to look at a person's records. The Florida guy charges a non-covered $1500 for a conference via telephone prior to surgery. He did answer an email I sent right away, however, and reviews of him are very good if you don't mind more of an "assembly line" process. (He does about 12 per day, I guess).

I really appreciate your help! Thanks again.

I've been reading and corresponding with parathyroid patients for more than two years now so I am pretty well acquainted with the positive and negative aspects of the best known docs. I just don't want to get into them here. I'm glad to help any way I can because this is such a frustrating disease and it is difficult for many people to get help. If there is something you would rather discuss privately, you can ask Dr Larian's office how to contact me. They've done that for other people and I'll tell them it's okay.

I am not connected with his office but had a very positive experience there and I know he is willing to help wherever he can. mass

Please provide any success stories with the names and telephone mumbers of doctors that specialize in parathyroid mihy surgery in VA, MD, NY, NJ or NC. Dr. Norman appears to money hungry and forgot his oath. Send your reply to : Thanks

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Dr. Gordon from the New York Center for Advanced Parathyroid Surgery is great! He preforms minimally invasive surgery so the scar is very small and after surgery you are good to go. He is in Warwick, NY (about an hour from Manhattan) and takes great care of his patients. I highly recommend him. Check out his website

The best surgeon??? Dr. Michael Yeh @ UCLA in Los Angeles, CA. Had my surgery 2wks ago. It took about 40mins - no pain ! Dr. Yeh's team is very caring and professional.

Did you have a total thyroidectomy? Was it minimal invasive procedure? I'm thinking about making an app't with Dr. Ye and any feedback would be appreciated!

Could anybody tell me how much does it cost for Parathoyroid Surgery in california.

Thanks