I am so glad to hear that other doctors are being found. I in fact did finally find several in the Denver Area. And one great one at LA's Cedar Sinai. Babak Larian is the guy from LA and was so helpful in getting me started in the right direction. I wish he was not so far away because I would choose him over every one!! Google his name and you can find him or look up the hospital. His office is helpful with out of town arrangements and he called me personally several times to see if I needed more information. He has a lot of experience with this surgery which made me feel better too.

I also found a Doctor at Swedish in Littleton Colo and another at the University of Colorado in Aurora. I am going with the him just because he is closer. What I found is there are a lot of Doc's that do the sugery. Just about any good cancer center is going to have a good head and neck tumor person. Good luck to you all. My surgery is April 21 and I can not wait to feel better and be a whole person again.

How did this go for you?? Ft Collins is much closer to me and I think I will check this guy out!

I just called Dr Collins office in Fort Collins and they DO NOT do the MIRP. They do Not use the Gamma Probe. That is fine in itself but his incisions are larger than the other doctors I talked too. The nurse said it was about 3 inches- compared to the others that are around 1-2cm at the largest. So now I really hope we hear from the person that posted the info on him to see how her surgery went on 3/12/08.

I am trying to find a surgeon in the Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas area that does parathyroid surgery, does them often and is very good at it. I found one that I like, but I don't think he does the MIRP procedure. Does it really matter. Is that procedure that much better than the old Standard kind?

Find out if he does the old fashioned kind, or the mini surgery using intra-operative assays - that's still a mini-surgery, but instead of using a gamma probe, they check the PTH hormone levels while you're opened up - not as bad as it sounds, because it drops rapidly, so might add on 10-minutes to the procedure.

That I'd go for.

I came to America to avoid the old fashioned kind of operation. They couldn't localise my tumour, said it would be an 8-10 inch scar, a 6 hour surgery, and a 40% chance of success - and a much higher risk of complication than with mini-surgery.

The deciding factors for me were the low chance of success (it's a lot higher if they can localise the tumour), followed by 1) severe complications - the old fashioned surgery has a much higher rate of wrecking your recurrent laryngeal nerve (never being able to talk again, and needing a tracheostomy to breathe), and killing your good parathyroids, so you go hyp0-para permanently after the operation (you do not want this, trust me), followed by six hours is a looong time to be under, and I really wasn't keen on the scar, either.

Mini-surgery is a whole lot safer from just about any way you want to look at it. Now, granted, if it was a choice between the old fashioned surgery with a surgeon who's done 2000 successful parathyroidectomies and a mini-surgery with a guy who's done 3, I'd go with the old-fashioned. But if it's at all possible, go to an experienced surgeon who's experienced in mini surgery - you'll be laid up a lot less from the operation itself, and it's far less risky than the old-fashioned kind.

MelodyB: Your info on Dr. John A. Collins sounds terrific. Will you be reporting on your complete experience? I am looking forward to any info you care to share. Thanks, LindaM

Parathyroid PT - I can't wait to hear about your surgery. Who are the Denver doctors? Do they do the radio guided MIRP?

Did anyone find a physician that does MIRP in Denver or elsewhere in Colorado?

I would also be interested in finding a doc in Colorado.

I am scheduled for a scan this week and want to get this over with and start to feel like a normal person again!!

I am in the Fort Collins area.

Thanks!

I think there might be somebody at CU Medical Center but I have never heard the name. If you search this site for "parathyroid" you'll find a message from a surgeon in Tucson. I think I have read that they do MIRP at Mayo in Pheonix too.

I corresponded with Dr. Norman for a while and he said that he has about a patient a week from the Denver area. Are there an awful lot of parathyroid patients in CO or do we just use this site more?

I'd go to FL in a minute if my endocrinologist would decide that is appropriate. She wants to solve my high PTH with Vitamin D. Dr. Norman does not agree with that. My vitamin D was very low but on the last blood test it was in the normal range but PTH was still high. My calcium and ionized calcium have always been normal.

I don't feel as bad as most people but I don't want to take Prevacid forever and the osteoporosis is pretty advanced.

I keep hoping that people will write about their Colorado experiences.

My calcium has been in the low to mid 10's off and on since fall 2004. When it was first high I was newly pregnant, but didn't know it. They monitored throughout the pregnancy and things seemed to go back to normal after my daughter was born. Then this Feb. it was back in the low 10's.
I have bypassed the endocrinologist for now and directly contacted a head and neck specialist. He has ordered the sestamibi scan. I hope to get it scheduled this week. I haven't gotten my PTH level back yet.
I seriously fear for the condition of my bones. I don't get a lot of dairy and at one point was told to not take calcium until this was figured out.
I am 37 with 3 active little ones and I need to feel energetic again so I can keep up.
I will report back when I know something else new.
I think the doctor at CU is Dr. McIntyre.
If the doc here sees anything out of the ordinary I may get referred down there.

Good luck!

SHOULD I HAVE SURGERY IF:
I HAVE HIGH CALCIUM IS 11.3....24 HOUR URINE CALCIUM IS 329.4...VITAMIN D IS LOW 18...PTH IS 150...TSH IS 4.7...FSH IS 55.5...T4 IS 1.14

I FEEL FINE...ONLY TIRED SOMETIMES....NO BONE/JOINT/MUSCLE PAIN...NO HEADACHES...NO CONSTIPATION...
I HAD HYSTERECTOMY MARCH 2004 AND WAS NOT PLACED ON ANY HORMONE THERAPY...I AM OETEOPENIA...
IF YOUR VITAMIN D BOTTOMS OUT WHILE IN SURGERY CAN YOU DIE??? I HAVE HEARD THIS...

SHOULD I MONITOR MY SITUATION OR HAVE THE SURGERY...

Hi, I am wondering if you saw Dr S. How did it go? Have you decided on surgery? Please give me any details you can about your experience, or if you found someone else. I am in the same boat, and same area. Be well, and thanks for any and all feedback........

Hi: Just wanted to see how your surgery went and how you are feeling now. I also had surgery in March and I am doing pretty well. My calcium is still high and I wanted to compare "notes" with someone 4 months post op. Thank you...txg

I recently had a minimally invasive parathyroid surgery by Dr. Alen Cohen in Los Angeles, California and the treatment from consultation to surgery was top notch. Dr. Cohen treated me with utmost respect and was very confident throughout the entire course of treatment. He did the surgery with a small 1.5 inch incision in my neck that I can barely see the scar from. It took less than an hour for the whole thing. Also where he does the surgery has the intraoperative parathyroid hormone assay so he knows during surgery right away if he got the problematic gland or not. I recommend everyone on the West Coast to see him, why go all the way to Dr. Norman and pay those exorbitant fees!

Nicole