Just found out I need the surgery. Lookinf for direction on finding a pro at this kind of procedure in Denver area.

I never found out who does the surgery in Denver as my endocrinologist said that no one would do surgery in my situation. I went to Dr Larian in CA and would do it again in a minute. He's wonderful and nice too. Check out larianmd.com

mass

Hey Mass, can you tell me what made your experience with him so wonderful? I don't doubt for a moment that you had a great experience but I want to know what it was that you liked because I do have a friend in California who is looking to get surgery and it would help to know. Thanks!

I talked with Dr Larian maybe ten times before my surgery. He answered all my questions and let me know that I could call him anytime. I knew I could contact his office and have a response within an hour. Following surgery I had his cell number and was told to call him day or night.

My endocrinologist told me that no one would do surgery in my situation and he volunteered to call her. She was fine with his doing the surgery. I knew my surgery would not be a 20 min one as I had a very large thyroid nodule and removing it nesessitated removing the left thyroid lobe. However, I was surprised when I woke up and realized that I had been in surgery nearly three hours. When I mentioned it to the nurse she said that his surgeries are always meticulous. He's an excellent surgeon and a very nice person. He's caring and easy to talk to. It's been five months since my surgery and I still call when I have questions.

I would suggest that your friend contact him before making a decision.

mass

After doing my research I sent an inquiry through email to Dr. Larian's office.
I got a nice reply that same day from a very helpful employee of his.
The next morning I got a call from Dr Larian himself. He already knew I wasn't sure if I could get out to California but offered to give information on what tests I could have my primary physician order for me. This man is genuine and I've decided that I'll make a way to have my surgery done by him. Very professional..both him and his staff. I'm pleased and I haven't even officially met him yet. Most doctors as busy as he is wouldn't dream of taking the time to contact you personally to answer questions.

Belinda Dawn Camp

Belinda,
I have not regretted for one second making the trip to CA to have Dr Larian do my surgery. I would do it again in an instant. In my book he's the best. Even after surgery, I haven't hesitated to contact him. I talked with him several times before he even mentioned doing my surgery himself. Each time he was very helpful. He even handles my sense of humor very well and not everyone can do that.

You won't regret being his patient. -mass-

I a m looking for a doctor in the midwest. Does anyone know of a doctor at U of M or the Mayo Clinic?

emchen wrote:

Guest wrote:

Does anyone know if there is a surgeon performing the same operation as Dr. Norman (FL) in California? Any one who was his patient have any difficulties like some of the other posts regarding the tingling or just basically feeling worse than before surgery?

Dr. Chen in Woodland, CA (near Sacramento), did my parathyroid surgery. He is trained in minimally invasive techniques and has done hundreds. I have a small incision (1 to 1.5 inches) and I feel great.

and he answers all your questions in a kind and friendly manner.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Thank you for this post... it got us to Dr. Chen. After reading it and getting nowhere with our UCD docs for more than two years, we contacted Dr. Chen. He was very kind, helpful and knowledgeable. We got into see him right away and he found a grape-sized adanoma almost immediately using ultrasound. We decided a Sestimibi scan was not necessary and a few days later he removed the tumor. Now my wife has her life back and I have my wife back (abt five weeks since the surgery.) She has the tiny scar from the minimally invasive surgery. Her calcium now is 9.8 and her pth is an amazing 9.6. Thats down from 10.9 calcium with a PTH of 93. Our UCD internist, even after seeing those numbers said they were a "red herring" for my wife's conditions, which mirrored several of the classic and miserable symptoms of hyperparathyroidism!! I fired him. With such a low PTH now, we are stopping calcium pills already so the parathyroid glands can do their duty monitoring the calcium (per Dr. Chen). After speaking with Dr. Chen and another well-known doc before the surgery, we were not convinced that we HAD to have the radio guided surgery; however can understand its advantages on difficult cases. We could not be more pleased with Dr. Chen and his staff! We plan to move all our health care from UCD to the Woodland hospital health care system now.
BTW, we had scheduled with Dr. Norman, who would have done the surgery a week after we were able to get it done in Woodland. Since we live in Sacramento, it meant a 30 minute drive instead 7 hours on a plane.

Hi: I'm Bob and I live in Columbus, Ohio. I had to have

a second parathyroid surgery here in March because my first surgeon did not know what he was doing

and he removed two perfectly normal glands. I then found out about Dr. William Farrar here at the

James Cancer Hospital in Columbus, Ohio. I went to him and he found out that my bad gland was located in my chest area and he removed it with no problem. I really liked him and would recommend

him for this type of surgery. His phone number is 614-293-8890. Give his office a call and I'm sure

they will help you if they can. Thanks, Bob

Hi, I'm Bob and I live in Columbus, Ohio. I know how you feel about going to a bad surgeon. I went to

one in October, 2008 and he didn't know what he was doing and he took two perfectly normal

parathyroid glands out and my calcium levels were still high. When I went back to him he suggested

that I let him remove half of my thyroid gland and hopefully the bad parathyroid gland would be

embedded there. That's when I decided that he didn't know what he was doing and I told him, that

he wouldn't touch me again! I then thought about going to Dr. Norman in Tampa, Florida, but he

charges too much that Medicare and my other insurance would not probably pay plus I would have

traveling expenses and motel expenses to pay for myself and I live in Ohio.

So, my wife searched the internet and we found a surgeon right here in the Columbus, Ohio area

who does this kind of surgery. His name is Dr. William Farrar and he works at the James Cancer Hospital here in Columbus. I got an appointment and he was great. He found the bad gland which

was located in my chest area and removed it with no problem. If you need to see a good surgeon call his office at 614-293-8890. Thanks, Bob

Hey Bob, I just wanted to post a big thank you for all the info! I have a friend who's looking for a surgeon and I think that your info is really going to help her out! Can you tell me what I hsould tell her to expect?

Hi: Is she going to try to go and see Dr. Farrar at the James? If she is, she will really like him. He is

caring,easy going, and very likeable. He also really knows his stuff. He doesn't hide anything from you, he tells you like it is and I really like that in a doctor. I hope that he can help her and that she likes him as well as I did!

Bob

Is she going to see Dr. Farrar at the James Cancer Hospital? If she is, she will like him! He is really nice.

He is cordial and very easy going. He is also very knowledgeable. His staff is just the same. I received

excellent care from them. I hope he can help her like he helped me.

Good Luck.

Bob

Yes, I think that's the one she's going to see. I'll pass the information along because she's REALLY nervous and any positive info will be helpful. She's VERY stressed. Thanks for your help!! :)

bluedog wrote:

Badglandbob09 wrote:

bluedog wrote:

Good Luck.
Bob

Hi: I haven't heard from you and I wondered if your friend got to see Dr. Farrar at the James in Columbus? If she did , how did it go and was he able to help her? Please email me because I'm
curious. Bob