I am also in the Dallas/Ft Worth area looking for a specialist in this area. I'm early 30's, my Calc. levels were 10.2 - week later 10.6 but PTH level is 23. I read Dr. Norman's page and it scared me into thinking automatically "I need surgery".

I'm a bit ticked that on top of my insurance money, he charges out of towners more....

Let me guess, is he doing any additional work depending on where my doctor is located? He's looking at what, a bloodwork sheet and POSSIBLY a scan? As if he doesn't do that for his 'in-towners'? Distance is at the tune of an additional $1000 + ? A phone call is a phone call, a fax is a fax and a chart is a chart. Does it matter what area code it came from?

I am interested in this surgeon as he is close by in the San Fernando Valley. Was the procedure in hospital or a surgery center? Did you return home the same day? Is there any other information you are willing to share?

I have been told by my Endocrinoligist that I need Parathyroid surgery as soon as possible. He does not know of a surgeon doing MIRP. I, too, have searched the web and emailed Dr. Norman for a referral in Texas, but was told that there was no one that he would want doing the surgery on him.

I want to go to the Dallas area where my daughter lives. If anyone has any knowledge of a great surgeon - preferably doing MIRP - please let me know.

Thanks!

Dr. Chen in Woodland, CA (near Sacramento), did my parathyroid surgery. He is trained in minimally invasive techniques and has done hundreds. I have a small incision (1 to 1.5 inches) and I feel great.

His website is californiaparathyroid.com and he answers all your questions in a kind and friendly manner.

Does anyone have any knowledge of who does the MIRP in Phoenix?

I don't know about Phoenix other than Mayo in Scottsdale but there's a Dr Balserek in Tuscon. Check him out at parathyroidsurgeryaz.com

Texaslady: I know your problem. I searched for years in Texas to no avail. I took matters in my own hands and had my surgery March 2008 in Tampa. The BEST decision I have made in regard to my health care. I like both Drs, but Politz I dealt with the most. They are the real thing. No guess work. I flew to Tampa from Houston on Monday, had surgery on Tues morning and flew back on Wednesday afternoon. I even drove home from the airport. I did not want a 8-10 inch scar and a hospital stay.

Dr Norman's whole team makes it easy for you and I had NO problems with Insurance at Tampa General. I wish we could post email addresses so we could "talk". I met three ladies from the Dallas area there having surgery also. Good luck and don't put this surgery off as this disease never gets better. TexGranny

I so understand being ticked off about the extra money. I could NOT get a diagnosis as my PTH level, like yours was in the low to normal range. I was VERY sick and considered him as my last hope. At that point money didn't matter. I do not regret my decision. I never had a scan done here and when I got there my scan was negative, but surgery was done and I had Hyperplasia. End of story....

I asked all my doctors too, but they didn't know of anyone in Northern California. I then found a webpage, www.californiaparathyroid.com, and got in touch with Dr. Emery Chen. He was friendly and informed. Even though he has done hundreds of minimally invasive parathyroid operations, he didn't hesitate to recommend other surgeons he knew who were closer. I chose to go see him, even though it took 2 hours to get to Woodland from where I lived. I was no disappointed. He found my gland and I was able to get the surgery with a tiny (1 inch) scar.

I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidsm in 2005. My family doctor was treating me for hypothyroidism and postpartum depression and my calcium kept coming back high, so he tested my parathyroid hormone and that was also high so then he sent me for a sestamibi scan and had me take that over to a general surgeon who had only done a handful of parathyroid surgeries, and of course it was the old type where they practically cut off your head trying to look for the thing. I said no thanks and found Dr. Norman on the web (it took me awhile to convince myself that he was legitimate). He was a bit curt, as he told me that my sestamibi scan was not worth the film it was on. Bedside before surgery he made sure to tell me what an id**t my primary care Dr. was (who diagnosed me, so how does that make him stupid, I wonder). The surgery was a breeze, he said they found the adenoma and removed it. (although he did make a strange comment, he said that he saw my thyroid and it did not look to him like here was anything wrong with it and so he doubted my hypothyroid diagnosis. I'm wondering, since when do you diagnosis hypothyroidsm by looking at the thyroid? weird) So all my post surgery labs were good, it seems I had been cured. But not so fast! This spring I was feeling just awful so I saw an internist, she ran loads of tests, and the results were: a 10.5 calcium. I'm like excuse me!? Knowing my history, she referred me to an endocrinologist. Took me forever to get an appointment with her, but she spent like an hour with me, which was great. Sent me for every test under the sun. Urine, Vitamin D, Creatine, Thyroid, Liver, Kidneys, Phosphorus, all were fine. Calcium was 10.2. PTH was "high". Can't remember the #. Unbelievable. She says I could have another adenoma, or hyperplasia or inherited familial. She says she won't bother sending me for a sestamibi locally cause she is familiar with Dr. Norman and knows he will just put it in the trash can. So she sent me for an ultrasound. Don't know the results. I've been researching and I think the do "minimally invasive" at Oschner in New Orleans. Maybe thats where I'm headed. I don't know if that means it is radioguided though.

I found your site looking for information regarding MIRP surgery for my mother. However, I was sad to see the Yes on 8, I call it, Yes on Hate, banner. As a result, I don't care to obtain any information for this site. If you believe it is okay to take rights away from people who are simply living their lives there way, I don't believe any of your thoughts or opinions are valid.

I live in New Jersey and am wodering if there is a surgeon performing MIRP in Pennsylvania or surrounding areas.

Check out Dr. Chen's website, californiaparathyroid.com. He has a list of parathyroid surgeons who do minimally invasive surgery grouped by geography.

I'm now really really unhappy with both my endocrinologist and the well known Stanford surgeon who failed to remove the bad parathyroid. My endocrinologist is good, although I'm gathering that parathyroid issues is not his expertise; furthermore I have to wait months for an appointment. I'm still peeved about the lack of information my surgeon gave me after the surgery and his patient relationship is dreadful. I'm not going back to the surgeon as my endocrinologist has suggested.

Does anyone have a good endocrinologist to recommend? I would like to get a second opinion. I live in the S.F. Bay Area. I'm also willing to travel anywhere on the west coast for a good surgeon. Thanks to the people on this thread who suggested Dr. Chen and Dr. Cohen. I'll get in touch with them. I'm so desperate that I would consider Dr. Norman if it wasn't for the $2500 consultation fee for an out of stater who has already had a failed surgery. Being penalized for a bad surgery just further diminishes my faith in doctors.

Dave E: I am sorry to hear of your problems with parathyroid surgeon. It is very hard to find a good endocrinologist. I had my surgery done in Tampa last March by Dr Norman. My surgery was successful. I had hyperplasia parathyroid and I was never diagnosed here in Texas. I have read about Dr Chen at UCLA and I am sure he is worth checking out.

The consultation fee is a little high, but I was desperate and it was a good decision for me. Good luck and may you find good health soon....TXG