The website for the California doctors that several of you recommended lists several doctors from the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. They say that these doctors also do the minimally invasive surgery. Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Daniel Albo in Houston, or anyone else in Houston?

About a year ago someone posted information about Dr Babak Larian. When I was totally frustrated with my endo I looked up his website - advancedonc.com - and emailed a question. I was shocked when he called me to discuss it and offered to help.

He did my surgery three weeks ago and I could not recommend anyone more highly. He is a wonderful surgeon and very caring. He welcomes emails and call from anyone whether you go to him for surgery or not.

I strongly suggest that anyone with parathyoid, or any other head and neck questions, check out his website. mass

Guest wrote:

I am sure there are some wonderful Drs at Baylor Med in Houston. I had been to numerous Drs and just couldn't get a diagnosis in Texas. I sent my records to Dr Norman in Tampa and 5 weeks later flew there and had surgery. I had hyperplasia, three glands removed. If you have a diagnosis of HPT you might check out M D Anderson's website. That would have been my choice if I had been a textbook case. Great Drs and great facility....txg

:-) Thanks to all of you for your help. I read almost a years worth of posts as I am now looking at hyperparathyroidism AND a total thyroidectomy for very large nodules that may or may not be cancerous. I sent Babak Larian an email and will let you all know what I hear back from him. Thanks again!

Nanny 22. I recently had surgery with Dr Larian. It was MIRP plus hemi thyroidectomy because of a very large thyroid nodule. The nodule had two small cancers in it that had not been detected by biopsy a year before. Dr Larian spent nearly three hours doing my surgery - he has a reputation for being meticulous- but it was still outpatient and my incision is about an inch. I never experienced any pain.

Dr Larian is a very nice, caring prson. Don't hesitate to call him with questions. I don't know where you live but it is worth a trip from anywhere for the kind of care you will get from Dr Larian and Cedars- Sinai Medical Center. Best wishes. mass

Please let me know which Doctor you found in Aurora, Co. The daughter of a friend of mine is having severe problems and needs help getting pointed in the right direction. Thank you so very much, God bless you & yours in every way.

parathyroid PT wrote:

I am so glad to hear that other doctors are being found. I in fact did finally find several in the Denver Area. And one great one at LA's Cedar Sinai. Babak Larian is the guy from LA and was so helpful in getting me started in the right direction. I wish he was not so far away because I would choose him over every one!! Google his name and you can find him or look up the hospital. His office is helpful with out of town arrangements and he called me personally several times to see if I needed more information. He has a lot of experience with this surgery which made me feel better too.

I also found a Doctor at Swedish in Littleton Colo and another at the University of Colorado in Aurora. I am going with the him just because he is closer. What I found is there are a lot of Doc's that do the sugery. Just about any good cancer center is going to have a good head and neck tumor person. Good luck to you all. My surgery is April 21 and I can not wait to feel better and be a whole person again.

I also live in Colorado. Dr Larian is worth the trip to Los Angeles. You can check his website - advancedonc.com. Your friend's daughter should at least call him with questions. He is willing to help anyone. He is an excellent surgeon and very caring. The office stays in close touch with patients and it is very easy to get help or answers quickly. I strongly encourage her to cantact him even if she decides to go somewhere else for surgery. He was very helpful to me and my surgery was an excellent experience.

It's an easy trip to CA and he is well worth the time. mass

My mother will probably need the surgery soon but my dad wants to try to have it done in Missouri where we live (for insurance purposes) but I want her to go to FL with Dr. Norman. Does anyone know of fantastic parathyroid surgeons in Missouri? I would also be interested in knowing who NOT to go to!
Thanks!!

texaslady wrote:

I have been told by my Endocrinoligist that I need Parathyroid surgery as soon as possible. He does not know of a surgeon doing MIRP. I, too, have searched the web and emailed Dr. Norman for a referral in Texas, but was told that there was no one that he would want doing the surgery on him.

I want to go to the Dallas area where my daughter lives. If anyone has any knowledge of a great surgeon - preferably doing MIRP - please let me know.

Thanks!

If you live in Dallas/Ft. Worth - THERE IS A GREAT SURGEON FOR YOU! After experiencing multiple kidney stones (9!) my urologist told me about hyperparathyroidism - my PTH was over 100! I was referred to Dr. Alexandra Dresel at Presbyterian Hospital - Dallas. SHE IS AMAZING. She came highly recommended from a personal friend who is also a surgeon and knows her well. I felt comfortable with her from beginning to end, she listened to my concerns and was very patient with all my questions. She orders routine ultrasound and sestamibi scan on all patients prior to surgery. She does blood labs during the surgery to ensure the problem is fixed, which was very helpful in my case. The sestamibi indicated only one enlarged gland but it turns out that 3 of them had become oversized and needed to be removed. Without in-surgery labs, i would still be battling with routine kidney pain! As a 24-year old, i was concerned with having a scar, but she still completed the procedure through an incision less than 1in. I'm only 1 month post and the scar is not noticable to those who don't know about the surgery!

Please do not travel out of state for surgery when she is right here in Dallas. I've read Dr. Norman's website and I would much rather have surgery with Dr. Dresel who ensures that you are "cured" than with someone who wants to be in-and-out in 15 minutes. You can get information on her website: dreselholdensurgery.com

I hope this helps!

CHERYL12 wrote:

I am trying to find a surgeon in the Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas area that does parathyroid surgery, does them often and is very good at it. I found one that I like, but I don't think he does the MIRP procedure. Does it really matter. Is that procedure that much better than the old Standard kind?

I highly highly recommend Dr. Alexandra Dresel at Presbyterian Hostpital Dallas. Her website is dreselholdensurgery.com

She is an amazing doctor and came highly recommended from a close friend who is also a surgeon. She answered all my questions and explained everything, even tolerated all of my "what ifs." I had normal calcium but PTH was in the 100s! I had suffered 9 kidney stones in 3 months along with many of the other symptoms before the problem was found. She moved me through very quickly so i could be done with all that! My sestamibi showed only one enlargement and the ultrasound showed a different enlargement. I did have hyperplasia and 3 glands were removed through an incision only 1 inch long! She does in-surgery labs to check your PTH to ensure she has removed all offending glands - she does not rely on imaging alone. I would definitely recommend this to the old-fashioned kind as I was up and about and out to lunch the next day. My surgery was at 10am and i was able to leave the hospital by 5pm and could eat dinner that night. With the old fashioned surgery, recovery time is longer and the scar is much bigger. I'm just 1-month post now and people don't even notice the scar!

I really hope this helps!

Thanks for all the inf. I have seen quite a few posts by people in Colorado. Can someone share the experience of your surgery with your doctors in Fort Collins and Denver Area? Could you recommend someone in Colorado?Thanks-getbetter

mass wrote:

I was diagnosed in 1989 by ultrasound. I have most of the symptoms--recurrent stones, broken bones, and the scariest--uncontrollable HTN, where my diastolic has spiked to 152. Also, which insurance pays for this? How much do they pay for Norman?

Thanks for your help.MIRP

Anyone aware of any Canadian surgeons? I can't find even one!

Also, where would be the best place for a Canadian to travel to get a mini parathyroid operation?

I would like to know the exact names of the docs (endocrinologist and/or surgeons) in the Littleton or Aurora, CO area for treating parathyroid disease. I am not happy with the guy I went to see today. Please help. Thanks.

Guest wrote:

parathyroid PT wrote:

Is anyone aware of any surgeons in Houston that specilize in the mini Parathyoid opertion ?