My 20-year old daughter developed the same problem. We ruled out any infection with a blood workup. It turned out to be her pillow-top mattress. She was fortunate to have a doctor who developed the same problem.

I also have this problem, which started when in my late 20s after a very sad incident when I was a paramedic (involving the death of a young person). In reading all the posts it seems there are two distinct types of things people are suffering from here: body odour caused by medicine or drinking or lifestyle, and; unexplained night sweats that have a bad odour. A subtle distinction but one that seems to make sense if you think about it. I am wondering if I am suffering from PTSD since that incident and I am having night terrors, and the resulting smell comes from fear. Just my humble opinion, I know nothing more or less than anyone else here.

My husband has the same problem.  The smell just began in the past year.  he was always a sweater.  He eats a healthy veggie and fruit diet and balanced with meats, cheese etc.  He had bloodwork done last year but all was well.  He's not on any medications. The smell is so bad and the sheets are all yellowed in the upper body area.  I bought a new mattress cover, new sheets, new duvet, new pillows but nothing has helped.  We turned the temp down in the house at night and even that doesn't help.  The smell keeps coming back

I can't stand getting into the bed after one day of his sweating.  It's crazy to have to wash the sheets every single day!!!  

BODY ODORS AND THEIR MEANING
by Lawrence Wilson, MD
© December 2011, The Center For Development, Inc.

Body odor is not a subject that many people want to talk about. However, it is important, especially for personal relationships. So let us discuss it in a rational and scientific way for everyone’s benefit.

WHAT CAUSES VARIOUS BODY ODORS?

Many things can cause body odors. They include various bacteria and yeasts that live on sweat, and they include various toxic metals that actually have a smell to them. Some people are aware of this and will tell us they smell sort of metallic. Copper, for example, has an odor. It is actually related to yeasts that tend to grow when copper is out of balance in the body.
Another cause of body odors has to do with digestion. Impaired digestion causes the production of smelly chemicals in the gut. These can not only cause smelly bowel movements. As the chemicals are absorbed back into the body, the odors can come out in the sweat on the skin, and in the breath as well.
Impaired organ function can cause the production of many varieties of chemicals, some of which have peculiar odors. The most common is a sluggish liver. This cause a rather bitter type of smell that is quite easily recognized when one enters the person’s home, for example.
Another common source of odors is the breath. Certain chemicals are “blown off” or removed from the body as gases or partially as gases. These will cause bad breath or unusual smelling breath. Among the most common is a sort of salami breath odor. This is caused by certain chemicals made in the liver. Other people have what may be called doggie breath. This, too, may be due to toxins or a sluggish liver. However, there is a reason it is called doggie breath, as it is similar to the breath smell of most dogs. Dogs live on meat, and they produce a lot of ammonia and other smelly chemicals as they digest the meat. Humans should not smell this way, but many do who overeat on meat or who do not digest their meat well enough.
Constipation can cause bad body odor, and almost always does. This is because when one has constipation, food takes too long to pass through the intestines. When food sits in the intestines for a day or even longer in some cases, certain toxins are reabsorbed, and these cause various odors, none of which are pleasant.
Other possible causes of bad body or breath odors include infected teeth, certain diseases such as diabetes and cancer, certain emotions such as a lot of anger or fear, and rarely other factors such as a diseased spleen or stomach.

SOME COMMON ODORS AND THEIR CAUSES

Here is a partial list of common body odors and their causes:

1. Diabetic odor. This is a sweet smell. It is actually sugar that is building up on the skin.
2. Constipation. This causes a generally foul smell, like a bowel movement odor on the skin.
3. High copper/low zinc. This causes a yeasty odor. Many women know this odor from having vaginal yeast. Yeast often, though not always, has a slightly sour, and yin odor.
4. Meat eaters. People who eat a lot of meat and do not digest it well, which is almost everyone, have a rather foul, and repulsive sulfury odor like rotting eggs. This odor is due to the high content of sulfur-containing amino acids in meat, particularly red meat. These amino acids are very excellent, but only if digested well. Meat-eating sometimes causes other foul odors due to other chemicals produced in the intestines if one does not digest meat well.
5. Fruit-eating. Eating a lot of fruit always causes a yeasty odor, but a different one from high copper and low zinc. Fruit is extremely high in sugar, and the sugars often ferment in the intestine. However, fruit is also highly irritating in many cases, and the odor has to do with this irritation as well.
6. Fruit-eating plus high copper and low zinc. This causes an even stronger yeasty smell, as one is consuming too much sugar AND one cannot kill off yeast due to the copper imbalance.
7. Doggie breath. This can be due to meat-eating, but is often due to liver and digestive problems.
8. Salami or bologna breath. This rather annoying odor is due to constipation, possibly, or inability to digest meats and other proteins.
9. Nutty odor. This is due to eating a lot of nuts. Nuts are not that easy to digest. Nut butters are a little better, but still not that easy to digest. Many people eat nuts as snacks and believe they are helping themselves with a healthful food. However, they do not sit still, relax, chew thoroughly, and they do not digest the nuts well. The breath, in particular, and perhaps the body, as well, can take on a sort of nutty odor as a result. This is not a healthful sign, by the way.
10. Chocolate odor. This is a slightly sweet odor, mixed with a meat odor, mixed with a magnesium deficiency odor. This is associated with slow oxidation.
11. Magnesium deficiency odor. This is an acrid type of odor due to enzyme deficiencies when magnesium is deficient. It is associated with a calcium shell.
12. Fast oxidizer odor. This is a more meaty odor with no yeast smell at all.
13. Four lows odor. This is a cadaver-like smell. The body is shutting down and the odor is like rotting flesh, which is different from rotten eggs associated with too much meat and constipation.
14. Low Na/K ratio odor. This is associated with yeast, but also tissue destruction. It is more like a four lows smell, but not as intense.

I think some of this is insightful, but that you're also nuts.

Sry this was in response to the person diagnosing type 4 diabetes and stating none of us could hold jobs or relationships...

Well, i have this problem too and i know for a fact that dont have diabedies since my doctor has already shown me that i dont. Also, im not obese, im not even overweight. Furthermore, there is no such thing as "type 4" diabedies, there is type 1, type 2, and gestational. Before you post a big codescending wall of ignorance, learn something about the subject first.

What the heck does this have with holding a steady job or relationship?? I have the symptoms described and have bit hs long term job and a wife?

I am in fact in agreement with the type 4 diabetes thesis advanced above than your opinion here, Hale. I never met this person before but he discribes my condition so well without ever seeing me or talking to me. You may call it anything you want but his locution is right on the head.

Hi their please get checked out this was my husband last year and he was diagnosed with cancer

Sorry to hear this......my husband had the same thing happen at first we just thought he was a sweaty man.....it just got worse it was like a sweet sweat smell I could barely stand to get in bed.....at the time he thought it was funny.....chasing me around with his pillow.....however he was also diagnosed stage 4 Cancer......

If i were you, i'd consider changing up your diet and look at what your lifestyle is like. Chances are, your body is reacting due to something. It could be the food your puting in your body, medication, or it could be that you're fighting off something.

Sweating in itself is a bigger issue than most people think. It ultimately changes you as a person and it’s just an overall bad experience. After looking around, and through the means of trial and error, I was finally able to rid myself of excessive sweating, using a natural system. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I think you are correct about this. It makes sense when nothing else explains what's going on. It's embarrassing. What are your credentials? Who can help me get this diagnosed? Please help!

I'm not overweight or diabetic and don't suffer from low or high blood sugar. At 44 I could be peri menopausal. I'm gluten and dairy free and when I do eat chicken it's organic and I cook it myself with lots of love fruits and vegetables. I'm certain of uncontrolled overweight and poor diet were a consistent symptom of everyone here that would be the answer and nobody would need this forum.

WOW i thought this was just a problem my wife was having. I am a chiropractor and my wife is a Neurologist lately she has had some major problems losing weight, along with stomach bloating and massive smelly night sweats. She is normal a hot person but only in the last year of our marriage has she started to really really sweat at night and it smell. She has been checked for thyroid (due to weight loss) and also the sweating but they are saying everything is fine. We are racking our brains naturally and allopathically and still cant figure this out. The only thing we can think of is that she took alot of hormones a few years ago to try to have kids and ever since then the weight and the sweating have been a factor.