I had gall bladder surgery in January of 2003. I had one large stone that was found after an x-ray following a day of nausea. I asked about natural ways to approach the disease and was told surgery was the only option.
My system has never adjusted. I still have urgency issues and have sometimes cramping if I do not have control over what types of fats I have eaten.
I have been on a mission to give my body the best odds to help myself and others from the "post op" side effects of gall bladder removal.
I have made huge strides in this area by changing my life style and my diet. I feel like my progress is slow but in a good direction.
I have also started a gall bladder support group and would like to communicate with others who are struggling. If you would like to learn more or be supported please join our group... "The Bile Buddies" and see if there is something helpful for you in a holistic approach to helping your body heal.
Please go to and give me your feed back. It is free of charge to join... You do not have to live in Dallas to join and benefit from the group. Thanks.

Best,
Susan

Guest wrote:

Has anyone out there felt worse, never quite the same, since gallbladder surgery? Our daughter has not been the same since her laproscopic surgery. She's been nothing but tired, low energy, never been the same. She feels like something is really wrong, but can't identify it. She has a friend who eats right and is very fit who had the same surgery and is experiencing the same feeling that something is not right, she's tired and not herself. Without the gall bladder, the bile goes directly to the liver, could this be a reason for them to not feel right? Both girls are in their late 30's. We would appreciate any input. Thanks!

:!: Bile is produced and secreted by the liver, and NOT "goes directly to the liver" as you say. It actually goes to the small intestine.
The role of bile is to aid in food digestion and fat emulsification. The gallbladder is a pear-shaped sac, about 3 inches long, which is attached to the lower surface of the liver. The gallbladder concentrates and stores bile produced in the liver. The gallbladder has the cystic duct coming out of it, and the liver has the hepatic duct; together the two join to form common bile duct, which drains bile into the small intestine. I am attending a nursing school right now, and am quoting this directly from my book. Regarding not feeling right? I'll tell you after I had my surgery.

I had my gallbladder removed on 8/7/09 (3 weeks ago today) and I agree that the recuperation time is not a breeze as people make it out to be. The first 4 days are definitely the worst as far as pain and nausea, feeling weak, and very bloated and like someone beat your stomach over and over again. By the end of week 1, I could drive but would get tired fast. 10 days after was feeling much better as far as walking around and sitting in my sedentary job....but still uncomfortable. I didn't attempt to wear jeans until 13 days later and it felt uncomfortable and some pain. I think it was too soon. It's now 21 days after and I can wear jeans only if they are my bigger jeans. I feel I'm still bloated, bigger in the waste area and am gaining weight.....just not feeling comfortable enough to do exercising. In addition some other post op symptoms are back pains, chest pains that I guess are indigestion, my throat is very sensitive now to cold air (like the ac in my car or house) and that has never been the case. I had the soar throat right after the surgery because of something they put down my throat during the procedure but it's weird that now I'm left with a very very sensitive throat to cold air. I think it will take a few more weeks before feeling back to normal ;-) But I'm getting there! Wish you all well! :-P

Oh I hear you all I had my surgery on Monday morning and now it is thursday ~ I feel better as well when I walk I can't sit to long lay too long get really soar, eating I try but not keeping anything down....drinking lots of water though what else am I suppose to do just follow up with the doctor and reasure that will take time it is frustrating for sure. Hang in there and may you all heal soon <3 sending prayers to you all/4 all

Hello all,
I just had my galllbladder out on Thursday Sept 24. Today is Sun and I feel awful. The Dr told me in 48 hrs after the sugery I would feel like a new woman. That is definatley not tthe case right now. Sugery went well but I have that awful bloated feeling and kind of nauseous feeling when i eat. I have not had a bowel movement since before the surgery. I am hoping that happens soo becasue I feel very 'full'. The belly button wound is the most painful for me, although they said the upper chest one would hurt more. Maybe because I am a larger woman, it hurts more. I want to thank you for some of the tihngs I read here and to hope that you have alll recovered well. One day at a time , i guess.

hi, i had my gall bladder out o saturday and i was devestated today when i weighed myself and put on 7lbs eve though i have only ate some toast, what happening? having read many post i can see the bloatness lasting some while so i better get some bigger trousers.

but i have had 2 pains i have not read about as anyone else had these problems, both my arms just above my elbow swelled up and went red hot, and i can not feel when i am having a wee i only know i am becuase of the noise.. as anyone else had thes problems. lucky enough i have not had dioraha...

thank you and lets hope my tummy goes down....

My tummy is still swollen a bit . I had surgery 9.23.09 You may have a blood clot in your arm from the IV. I had swelling and a hard red arm . My IV was in my wrist. The surgeon said that a lot of people get blood clots after surgery because of the needle size and all the meds put in. My swelling has gone away but I now feel a round hard lump on the top of my wrist and it sometimes aches at my elbow. He said sometimes they take a month or two to go away.

During gall bladder laparoscopic surgery, the abdomen is pumped full of air. This is the heavy and unbelieving swelling you experience, not weight gain. Buy some seltzer water (non-sweetened, no salt) prior to the surgery. There are many flavors on the market. Find one that will suit you. Drinking the seltzer at room temperature after the surgery will bring up the gas that is caused by the air that was pumped in. Moving about as much as possible once you have been given the okay by your surgeon helps a lot. The bloating will go away, but don't be surprised if it takes a lot of burping to do so.

I had my gall bladder removed in two steps. On Monday they took out the stones that were in the duct. On Tuesday, they removed the gall bladder and I have three bandages on my stomach area. Wednesday was bad every time I moved. Today I am getting around much better and the pain is starting to subside, however I am still taking the Vicodin. I have a little gas and it is painful to try and push it out if you know what I mean. But, even that is starting to get better. All in all everything is going well even though last night, I was sweating up a storm and I don't know where that comes from, I have no fever and that was also happening to me around three weeks ago.

I literally had my gallbladder removed this morning, because of several small stones and a few large ones. I had the laparoscopy done and feel much better today post-op than I have in a long time. I had the huge, painful belly BEFORE the surgery, but not now...just a little sore.

I've known a few others who've had the procedure. They tell me that I really need to take it easy even though I feel so good. Today I've ate a baked potato with some butter and sour cream, an avacado, and some whole grain goldfish crackers...and lots of water. The only problem foods I had before were popcorn and super greasy fast food...I could eat some, but not a lot....So far, so good...I'll keep you posted! :-D

I had my gall bladder out on 2/1/10. Was back in the hospital on 2/4 and had to stay over night. I had a horrible pain in my lower abdomen and an 8 " x 6" area of dark red/purple bruising which felt like a bad sunburn and was hot to the touch. Turns out I had cellulitis . . . a skin infection.

Guest wrote:

My husband had gallbladder surgery one month ago. He is still has pain, especially when he bends over. He cannot eat anything he wants. Still has to stay away from greasy foods, etc.

I am worried that his pain is not getting much better and will have an effect on his being able to go back to work.

Whoever said gallbladder surgery is a "snap" is definitely wrong.

Has anyone else out there had surgery over a month ago, and how do they feel now?

hey hope your husband is over his pain, i had my gallbladder removed open cholesectomy on 24th feb 2010, was really sore for about 2 weeks didnt need pain meds after that just felt like i had bruised ribs on my right side, now 5 weeks post op i feel as if someone has jumped all over my ribs have pain down my right side and cant breathe if i raise my voice or bend down i feel like im going to collapse with the gripping pains, see surgeon again on 21st april 2010 so hears hoping he has some answers, the pain now is worse than what it was before surgery. the only up side is i can eat almost everything i did before surgery and no problem with bowel movements. could you plz let me know how your husband is getting on since his surgery.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I hate to gush, but I really do feel 100% better after I had my gallbladder removed. I had the surgery done 2/4/10 and am now able to eat popcorn and eggs, which I haven't had in over 10 years due to problems and being misdiagnosed with GERD, acid reflux, etc. I no longer have to take heartburn medications at all and I have definitely tested my gut with some chili cheese tater tots with mustard and onions! I would say that your hubby probably needs to go back to the surgeon and ask some questions. I was covered for up to 3 months post-surgery with my dr...and I have pretty crappy insurance. It sounds like it may be something else...good luck and keep us posted.

I had gallbadder surgery on monday may3rd,2010 so far so good, although today i am a bit more drained than usual. Its been five post op days and the bandages are off and i've finally had a shower. The iv they gave me left about a five inches bruise seems those guys can't find a vein in all their infinate wisdom and experience in the middle of my arm. My belly button incision is about the size of a small apple, which i feel is pritty big.. apart from the many bruises and feeling more like a pincushion i am a survior. BUT IT IS TAKING MORE TIME THAN ANTICIPATED... i am lucky i have not had too many side effects except one i had in recovery my right shoulder was on fire when i woke up. Unbarable pain which they gave me morphin for lasting about ten min. good luck to everyone that has this procedure done hopefully some good will come of it

I had my gallbladder removed 23.4.2010, so 3 weeks ago today, first few days were ok, the pain wasn't that bad.
Started feeling pains in my left leg about 4 days after surgery and was sent to hospital to check for a DVT (blood clot).
Surprise surprise there was a clot >:( Ended up on injections twice a day and pills for 6 months. Can stop the injections when I am in my theraputic range XD (hoping that is today, just waiting on my INR results).
Since I started these blood thinning meds I have been getting the dreaded D :'( and also pains in URQ and ULQ, they are not bad pains but ones that do grab my attention.

I also find I cannot sleep on either of my sides, is this normal.

So instead of leaving my gallstone problem on the operating table, I have now so to speak changed one set of problems for another. One which will take at least 6 months to get over.