Hello I had my gallbladder taken out almost a week ago tomorrow and have similar symptoms. Particularly the pain on the right side and back.I cannot sleep on my left side and sometimes it hurts sleeping on my back. I am not seeing my surgeon for another 2 weeks and I am worried as I am aslo supposed to go back to work this coming monday. I stopped taking Tylenol 3 for pain as they constipate you a lot. I am very tired still and have not much of an appetite, have lost 6 pounds in a week. What did your surgeon say about the pain on the right side?

I had my gallbladder removed a week ago and I have the same rib discomfort/pain.
I told my husband the same thing as if I had a baby in there pushing his foot in my ribs.
Did you ever find out why and do you still have thoses symptoms?

I am the person who posted above ... "Hello I had my gallbladder taken out almost a week ago tomorrow and have similar symptoms" It has been over 3 weeks now and I AM NOT feeling better. I have heartburn, back pain and abdominal pain. I have to eat constantly small portions. If I go out and come back hungry and eat a little more, I am twisting and turning... On top of that in one incision the stitches are coming out, it feels like a fish bone!!!

Had gallbladder removal 5 days ago. My surgeon never came back to my room after surgery to talk to me. I made a big stink but he never came back to tell me how it went or what he did. I will make an appointment with him, Im a bit angry about the whole thing. But, Im in pain now, havent had a bm yet. All I want to do in lay in the bed and not move. It was a pretty awful experience including little to no care from the nursing staff, no bathroom in my room, couldnt get washcloth, towels, gowns, bedding changed. Anyway, any suggestions on what Im doing now that Im home?

Hang in there honey... you will get better I promise! I had a pretty bad experience myself. I had a bile attack in January due to a huge problem and argument I had at home and had surgery on January 22nd. Some small stones passed to the liver and I was in an excruciating pain. My surgery took about 3 hours versus the regular 1h-1.30h. The following day I came home and could not move for about two weeks in pain and on Percocet.. When I finally started moving I could barely stand up and walked baby steps. I was eating only Gerber and baby cereal, yogurt and jello. Anything I ate extra would make me run to the bathroom 8-10 times a day. I also had low platelet count and problems with coagulation so it made the healing more difficult... some stitches were coming out. I was in a lot of pain for weeks. I made an appointment with the surgeon after a month because I still had pain under the left rib on the side and I was told that it takes about 2 months to heal inside. Doctor also said I could start eating everything little by little (people say you will never be able to eat butter and fried food). Not even 2 months after the surgery the pain is totally gone and I am eating everything. I am doing everything at home but you cannot exaggerate; don't make efforts like carrying heavy bags or pulling boxes. I just had filet-o-fish with rice and vegetables and salad for dinner yesterday and I am fine. No more diarrhea, no more vomiting. I am fine so will you. Take care. Good luck!

Sorry, I meant to say "right" rib not left.  Not even two months after surgery and I am walking fast every day and dancing... 

I was in my mid 50's when I had a gallstone attack. It felt like a chest pain though. I spent overnight in a hospital in which by the way I worked at the time. A month later I had a surgery to remove my gallbladder. It was an outpatient surgery, in and out in the same day, laparoscopic one. I am glad they put me out for it. Afterwards, I was on a sick leave for about a week or 10 days maybe, can't remember for sure. It felt sore especially in the first a few days, but gradually wore out. I was back to work with no restrictions.

I watching my diet now, can't eat anything with high fat content, so bacon is out of my diet from ever since. The best way to handle it is to eat small portions every a couple of hours, and basically watch which foods don't agree with you. It's a trial and error.

Here's how it works. Your liver produces bile which accumulates in the gallbladder. When you eat foods with fat content in them, the gallbladder contracts and releases the necessary amount of bile to help digest the fat content. Now, once your gallbladder's gone, your liver still produces bile but it can't produce large amounts of it. Consequently, eating small portions of food every now and then throughout the day is your best bet.

And by the way, I don't take any laxatives.  Why turn to drugs if you can help it with the diet?  Yes, high-fiber diet.  Eat corn, beans,   barley soup, fruits & veggies.  I would stay away from the meds if I can help it;  IMO all of them have side effects, just read the small print.  

Dear Frenchy,
I saw my doctor a week after the surgery for the same reasons: Pain under the rib on the right side, upper back pain, and also pain under the left rib (intermittent)... When I mention this to my doctor he smiled and said: Well, it is not your your gallbladder for sure, because it is not there anymore. Then he said it is normal to feel the pain because there is an organ missing, and although your body knows it 9Your bile goes directly to your intestine now) your brain takes a lot longer to admit it!. It takes a while, over a month. I had surgery on January 22nd and I am fine now. The first few days I was very constipated and then had diarrhea for over a week running to the bathroom constantly 8-10 times a day. The good thing is that I lost 14 lbs total and haven't gained a pound. It is hard to sleep having a pain in the back (some nights I slept in the couch sitting in the corner ). If you feel that bad I would call the doctor and ask him/her an extra week of disability. I am on disability, have been for 2 years for different reason - but the extra time resting helps a lot. Going back to work, just make sure you don't make any effort. I didn't even carry bags from the supermarket for over a month. You will feel better. Good luck. I feel fine now and eat everything! :)

Call your Doctor IMMEDIATELY, or go to the ER. Sounds like an infection, you should not have a fever or any red streaks/lines. I did not have gallstones but only a 21% function gall bladder, and was up and around in 3 days with no problems, other than the gas/bloating will continue at least a month or more.

I am 10 days post-op from my laparoscopic cholescystectomy. On surgery day (4-1-13) I went in at 6am, surgery at 7:30am, home by noon, slept most of the rest of the day. I had a scope patch pre-surgery (for nausea) and was on nausea and pain meds after. Although I hurt from the four incisions, the pain and nausea were well-controlled withe the meds. I really felt pretty good the next three days, eating normally, doing things around the house. Then I realized I had not had a bowel movement since before the surgery, so i stopped taking the pain meds. Called my doctor and they said to take Milk of Magnesia. After that, I was awful- throwing up for two days, felt so sick. That subsided over the nest three days, but I now still feel light-headed, go from feeling cold to hot sweats, cry at sad things (I am NOT a crier!), very picky about about what appeals to me to eat (I am NOT a picky eater!). I also cannot stand the smell or taste of coffee, and I used to LOVE my two cups of coffee in the morning. I have been feeling better, little by little. I slept really well last night for the first time since surgery (I had been having extremely vivid, disturbing, exhausting dreams, waking up a lot, and my sleep apnea mask was bothering me). My bowels are working normally again, but my stools are now a weird yellow color. 

I work part-time as a flute teacher, and started back 2 days ago, teaching 3.5 hours, and it was very tough trying to act personable and like I felt OK, when I really didn't. I had planned to go out of town tomorrow to help a friend work her booth at a craft show for 3 days, but had to cancel that. I need those days to relax and recover.  

I have heard (since my surgery) that most people do not feel normal again until 4-6 weeks after their surgery. I think I was just feeling so decent the first 4 days after mine that I assumed the rest of my recovery would be a piece of cake- I was wrong! Thankfully my amazing husband has taken fantastic care of me, and I would not have wanted to go through this without him by my side.

Hopefully this will be helpful to others who are experiencing unpleasant side effects from their gallbladder surgery. 

Dear Linda, Lucky you and congrats to your hubby. I was alone. I had the surgery on January 21st and was feeling awful for almost a month and a half. Honestly, I still have this pain/pinch - like needles bothering me on the right side once in a while. If I try to eat fried food I have to run to the bathroom. Still cannot eat everything like I used to. A friend of mine said it took her almost 9 months to recover completely and that after 6 months of the surgery she still did not carry bags from the supermarket. Her surgeon was also her best friend and she (the surgeon) told her that although the doctors tell you that you're OK ,and you can do and eat everything, you should not make any effort for a couple of months because it takes a lot longer to heal inside than what it takes to heal outside. Just remember there is an organ still missing there!. If my pants are tight, one of the incisions still hurts. I was in the hospital for 24 hours after the surgery and miserable for the following 2 weeks, just on jello and baby food... Take care of yourself. Feel better

Omg, I had mine removed March 22 n i am still having bloatingnes going on. I didn't realize it last six weeks. I wonder why it last so long. I was gettin depress about it, because I had lost weight in i see my been huge. Thanks

I had my gall bladder taken out 6 days ago. I woke up from the surgery in horrible pain from the gas they used.  The first 2 days, I had sharp gas pains on my right side and in my shoulder.  I would cramp up when I tried to lay down flat and had to sleep upright on my couch.  By the 3rd day, I started feeling much better!  My energy is coming back and the only discomfort I have is a little inside soreness with deep breaths and after meals, and a little bloating.  If anyone out there is having that pain from the gas they use, don't get scared, it will go away!

I just had my gallbladder out like 5 days ago. Im 21. I keep freaking myself.out though. I the incision site nearest my sternum it pulses like my heartbeat. Is thag normal? I feel better than i have. I can walk around eat mostly what i want. Im still bloated and feel like im pregnant. But im not. My moods are awful and unpredictiable. I get so angry and yell and cry over stupid little things. Im worried though about my bowel movements. I was have loose ones now they are solid again but they seem black. Im hoping it gets better. Other than that im pretty well back to my normal self. Though i do wonder if anyone else expieriences the weird pulsing and the insane moods. Oh and cravings since i woke up from surgery ive been craving different foods.

I recently got my gallbladder removed on June 17, 2013. I am 44 yrs old and a female. I still have bloating myself but that is normal. It does take about 6 weeks for it to go down. You just need to take it easy and walk a little each day to build up your strength. If you are that concerned and you don't feel completely right call your surgeon who did the surgery. No question is a dumb question.