My problems started about 6 months ago when I started feeling light headed, dizzy, and would get so hot that I felt like I could not get enough air conditioning.  I also had mild pains in my chest and abdomen. I went to the ER and after telling them my symptoms they thought I could be having a heart attack. So the nurse gave me a nitro glycerine pill even though my blood pressure was normal.  Well this pill almost killed me by bottoming out my BP and I woke up to the nurses putting shock pads on me.  After 4 days in ICU and a stress test, rest test, EKG, and echocardiogram was done the doctor determined it was not my heart but sent me to a cardiologist anyways.  The cardiologist came to the same conclusions that I had a healthy heart.

For months after I still continued with the same symptoms and the doctor could not figure out what it was.  I also begain to get extremely nautious after I was eating but thought I had a stomach bug that just lasted for a month.  The doctors kept telling me I was having panic attacks and had given me adivan for these attacks.  However the addivan would have the same affect on me when coming off of it, so I would end up having to take another one.  I went months and months of having these "so called panic attacks"

After several months I talked to a nurse who was telling me about getting her gallbladder removed and I concluded that I had the same symptoms.  At one point I even felt a sharp pain near my appendix for a week long.  I then asked the doctor about my gall bladder and he set up a test to do an ultrasound on it.

It was determined that I had one big gall stone and that I would need surgery.  I just got my gall bladder out two days ago and the nausea is gone.  I still have pain in my shoulders and abdomin but was told this was from the gas they put in you from surgery.  However since surgery I do not even feel close to having another "panic attack". Hopefully the pain will go away in a couple days. Also still waiting to have my first BM.

From the people I have talked to, I would say about 75% of them stated they or the doctor thought they were having a heart attack and it turned out to be there gallbladder. My question is why wouldnt any of the doctors or specialist I have seen thought of it, if it were so common.

brantham1 wrote:

Had my gallbladder out 7 days ago and all was fine - i was dreading this op as i stupidly read the horrific reviews people had written - i was in and out in a day from hospital and felt as though i had been kicked in the stocmach by a horse - the sorness and swollen tum lasted for about 4 days and i was back to doing everything - i would highly recommend to keep moving though as lying and sitting down for too long makes you very stiff - it really was not a big deal at all - ( i am 54 - gosh thats old he he he) good luck and think positive on getting rid of those stones and DO keep moving.

I have to agree,I am 41 and had mine removed a week ago and feel much better,watching what you eat and walking for at least 5-15 min a day will speed up recovery.....as days go by you can increase your walking time.

I had my gallbladder removed on 11/2/12, I came back to work today 11/07/12.   I had to be there at 6:30 and I was home resting by 1:30 p.m.  There are a lot of things you can do for the first days to make life a lot easier.  I have 5 incision marks and the one at the top in the middle is the worst for me, the rest i do not feel.  I felt like i have had bruised ribs and finally today i can tell that feeling has gone down trememdously.  Here is some advice from an angel of a nurse and it worked for me, I hope it works for you.  When you get out of surgery, dont drink out of a straw that can create more gas, ask for gas drops it is a little bottle with a dropper and you mix it with a little water and this helps ALOT!!! But do not take more than your suppose to because it has a reverse effect on you if you do.  Do not drink any carbonated drink for a few days this will also help keep down on the gas.  The nurse also gave me a pill that you disolve under your tongue for nausea, i have yet to have any problems with nausea and i have only taken that one pill that she gave me at the hospital.   I took my pain medication for the first 24 hours like the directions on the bottle and I did have to sleep in a recliner for 4 nights.  For the first two days including the day i got home from surger, I would get up every hour and walk circles in my house in my kitchen up and down the hallway for 2-3 minutes, sometimes i couldnt do the 2-3 minutes but i got up and tried, this helps with gas, energy, and getting your body back to normal.   I stayed home for the first 3 days rested and took lots of naps.  I got out for a few hours on the 4th day and then the 5th day i could not believe the energy i had.  I did have constipation for 3 days, i did add fiber to my diet and that took care of the problem but in all seriousness this was a hidden blessing because the pain in your ribs is a miserable pain and you do not want to move.  You will be able to tell that you felt better than the day before, i noticed little things.  I still have pain from that one incision and it does hurt to stand  up and sit down only a little.  And avoid any person or tv show that will make you laugh, i paid dearly.  I did notice today that it did not hurt as bad to laugh.  Mainly it just takes time to heal, i am ready to be well but i have some more recovering to do.  I still can not bend over and pick anything up off the floor, and i have not had any trouble going up and down steps.  I know this is sorta all over the place but i do hope it helps someone!

i feel so bad i see 99% of people have so many problems after gallbladder surgery. I had to be admitted cause my gallblader was inflamed got iv antibiotics for one day next day had my surgery next day went home sleep for a day and a half then got back to my every day i didnt get the "D" little gas but no pain but i do have a soft lump under my right breast it dont hurt just looks like i ate a small air balloon anybody get that too?

I had stomache pain in my right side, so Dr. did an Ultra Sound, and a Ca

Scan. They came back ok. I couldn't eat, i was nauseated, I had terrible pain , and I lost 30 pounds. I was in and out of the ER, they said it was anxiety, and gave me Ativan! After 10 mounths and changing Dr.'s They finally did a Hide A Scan, and ..my gallbladder was only functioning at 11 %. I had it removed 5 days ago. Only problem is nausea. 10 MONTHS!!!!!

Hi there,

I had my laproscopic last Friday so its been 7 days.. my husband and i trie to have sex last ight and he prior and I had pains in my left side of my chest. but only when he was on top.. he is a bigger guy but we were takin it easy.. when i got up I belched blah then the pain went away.. I tried to be on top but it hurtmy stomach :( !! Anyone else have this experience..??

I had my gallbladder removed 11/20/12.  I was told it'd be easy peasy lemon squeezy (ok, the doc didn't use those terms; but he had a color brochure of people smiling - not in freakin' pain!).  My experience has not been an easy one.

At the hospital, I told them that I have bad veins; and of course, they hadn't let me eat or drink so I was dehydrated.   I can ALWAYS tell a bad nurse (by that, I mean one that's not experienced with IV's as others) because they'll tournequette your arm like it's gonna fall off and claim, "I'm just looking for a good vein!".  Nurse S. jabbed me with a large gauge needle and couldn't find a good vein.  Did it again.  I started crying.  She went to get a real nurse.  Real nurse loosened up the horrible binding, put it back on in moderation; stroked my arm, BAM the vein popped up and she got it with nary a pinch with a smaller gauge needle.  I want to send her flowers - honestly, I love her that much.  Nurse S. made my entire arm one horrible bruise....I hate her.  The good nurse was showing Nurse S. why she was such a dunderhead and they had a nice discussion about the valves in my arm!  

Anyway, I was put under, and when I awoke as someone else posted here - they were shoving my mouth with crackers, shaking me and insisting I had to take the Vicodin and go home.  I can't believe this place calls itself a hospital. I was no more ready to go home than juggle.  If they'd kept me my other problems would've come to light and I would've recovered a helluva lot faster.  I told them how nauseated I get, so they gave me something in my IV; but never gave me anything to take home.  Why on earth wouldn't then make sure I would be comfortable?  When I got home, I climbed into bed and honestly didn't feel too bad; but when the IV meds wore off I started vomiting.  Ugh, it was awful.  Couldn't keep the pain meds down; or the stool softener...or even water.  I called the doc the next day (day before Thanksgiving) and the nurse insisted it "was normal" for the surgery.  WTF!?  I can't heal if I'm in chronic pain because I toss up the pain meds and dehydrated.  On Thanksgiving I was there - but sat like a zombie. It was the only time I'd made it downstairs yet.  I slept probably 22 out of 24 hours - I was in such pain I couldn't face it.  Friday came along (surgery was Tuesday; so this is third day after surgery) and I called AGAIN.  ER nurse said I should get right in there because of how dizzy I was - she was concerned.  DUH!  I said, "Please - I've been begging for something to keep even freakin' water down and no one will give it to me".  She called in a script for phenegrin (sp?) and after that I started healing (still spent a ton of time in bed).  Thought I'd be back to work on Monday, but because of the doctor and hospital incompetence I couldn't; and lost three days of work.  My mind was really foggy for several days following the surgery - I'd say five or so from the anesthesia.  

As for digestion, three days after surgery, on Friday morning my body woke me up and I rushed to the potty; and had the most foul smell come out of me imaginable.  First dump of bile poo.  OMG it was awful.  Then it happened again....and again....and again.  I already had hemorroids - it ENRAGED them to the point I couldn't walk or sit.  I had to pack my butt in ice and my front (where the incisions were - that felt good) in ice too.  No way could I go back to work.  I'm very angry at their mismanagement and lack of care over my recovery.

Now I'm 17 days post-op.  I've learned to take Zantac (read it on a blog somewhere) - doctor didn't tell me to do it - why the heck not?  I'm still having bile dumps, but not as bad.  And if you're curious, not even over fat eating - last time it was crackers.  Yup, crackers.  I still seem to "over do it" some days and need to nap or rest (before surgery I was always super active and slept very little!).  I'm embarassed because it caused a huge problem at work (I missed those days) and everyone keeps saying how easy and quick this surgery is.  Nope.  Not for everyone.  Maybe if I'd gone to a good hospital it would have been!

i had my g.bladder out nov 15 2012.  many post op symtoms i understand are normal, and i am progressively getting better.  i am so glad i had this surgery done, but people need to know that every body is different.  i now pass normal stools and can eat alomost anything without incident.  i did have the kicked in the stomach feeling for a few weeks and also neasea and cramps.  Gravol has been a great help although it knocks me out.  i also use advil or tylenol when i feel cramps coming on.  i can go days now without any pain meds.  i think it helped to have a number one surgeon here in calgary.  i have no regrets getting surgery, as for months prior i was in constant pain and neausea.  about three months daily.  a hida scan did show my g.b. was functioning normally but this did not mean it still did not need to come out.  my surgeon found scar tissue on my g.b. and said it looked a bit beat up.  however what i struggle now with is butterflies in my chest, and im not sure if its related to the surgery.  or the illness as i had this prior as well.  my g.b. was removed regardless of the hida scan saying all was normal.  it is impossible for doctors to know exactly everything that is going on, sometimes you just have to trust what they tell you.  and find a doctor that is patient with your many questions, as mine was.  if anyone can relate to the butterflies symptom please respond.   i would highly recommend the surgery if you are having attacks tht have become chronic.  MOST people do not suffer ongoing after surgery.  but there are no gaurantees.  i am a 39 year old female. 

I really would suggest everyone has a conversation with their surgeon/specialist before having this operation as some of the "problems" people are having are perfectly normal!

I think a lot of people are forgetting that they are having an organ removed - just because you are allowed home on the same day after keyhole surgery, this does not mean you will feel normal again by the next morning! There is a 2 week recovery period where you will be signed off work and be told that no strenuous lifting is to be done for 4weeks after surgery (see the NHS leaflet provided before your operation)

Bloating - during your operation, your stomach will be filled with air so your surgeon can reach your gallbladder with the instruments needed without causing harm to any other organs. This isn't gas as it isn't in your stomach, so unfortunately you do just have to wait for  your body to absorb this, and as everyone is different, there is no certain time frame for this so could take 1week or 2months. Also, because your head will be tilted towards the floor during your surgery, some of this air will travel to your shoulders. AGAIN this is normal but you have to wait for your body to absorb the air!

Illness after surgery - you have had an organ removed! I would be shocked if you felt brilliant 2days after an anaesthetic! There is a 2-4week recovery period so give yourself a chance to recover and heal! You have had your stomach cut open and something taken out that you have had for years, of course you are going to have a bad stomach, diarrhoea, headache, sore wounds for a couple of days/weeks! It would be completely unrealistic for anyone to expect anything different. The best advice is to rest and to eat plain food (toast, rice, low fat options, fruit) the same that you would after having any severe stomach illness

There are far too many people complaining about things that are perfectly normal and worrying others on this feed. Yes you will feel ill, you have had an internal organ removed. Yes you will be bloated and swollen because there is air in your stomach that has never been there before and a surgeon has been poking and prodding around with foreign objects! And yes you will find it hard to eat for a little while because your body is adjusting - EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! Make a food diary and keep track of the items you bloat badly after and avoid for a little while before trying again.

this operation isn't a quick fix, it's a lifestyle change so be prepared to live on a healthier, lower fat diet because this is what your body will tolerate. If that doesn't sound like something you would be able or willing to do, then this operation is not the right direction for you so make your choice!

I had my gallbladder removed on dec 26, 2012 and its been 4 days since. I started off struggling to walk bc of the belly soreness and the roof of my mouth was sore bc if the cold air i was breathing in during surgery. The gas pains were HORENDOUS Lolx BUT all of that is now slowly fading away. I can get in and out of bed by myself now and ive been walking around the house every couple of hours to work the soreness and gas off. I stopped taking the meds bc they really werent doing anything but putting me to sleep and as far as eating, i dont really have an appitite and i had i only felt nauseous one time since the surgery. Hope you guys get to feeling better soon. I have to be back for college on jan 7 so im praying for a speedy recovery.

I had my gallbladder out 5 weeks ago. Prior to the op I was pretty anxious but over a month on the scars have almost healed and the pain has gone. Not completely mind you still a bit of pain but drinking doesn't leavi g me feeling bloated or in discomfort like before. One thing I do have is really aching calves and legs. This has occurred over the past 4 days and just a bit concerned there as blood clots do occur after surgery. I had the surgical socks on 24/7 for a week to prevent this. Has anyone experienced a similar issue

I had gallbladder surgery last Monday - it is four days ago today.  I feel awful.  I am in so much pain.  I'm taking Oxycodone but it gives me heartburn and makes me sleep too much which consequently causes migraines.  Called the doctor and he said this is not normal.  The pain is around my belly bottom!

this is exactly the same as myself after 4 years run around of infections spreading throughout me which ended in a 5 hour op which normally takes an hour and staying in for a week, im on day 5 out of hospital and now i may have a bile leak, i cant eat drink or sleep due to excessive running to the toilet as even the slightest mouth full of water runs straight through me, just my luck xx

Hi, I agree with the post that said everyone is different and that this is still a major op even when carried out laparoscopically. I do wonder though whether there is a difference in treatment between the USA and the UK? I'm in the UK, treatment here has been great for me under the NHS. My gallbladder problem was identified quickly and my op was carried out by keyhole surgery 4 days ago now. Due to very low blood pressure I stayed in hospital for one night but home after that with pain killers to take and instructions to rest, no work for 2 weeks and no heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks.

I had bad shoulder pain for the first day but I'd been told to expect that and standing up straight is still not quite happening but its only 4 days since surgery so to be expected. For me eating and drinking since the day of surgery has been no problem. In hospital I was offered toast as soon as I felt able to eat about 2 hours post op and all's been fine since although I'm sticking to low fat foods such as grilled fish, chicken and rice as my body needs a chance to heal before exploring too much and for me I have had no problem at all going to the bathroom as normal.

Yes I am quite sore when I move but then my body has been cut open and a part of me has been removed so I have to remember that But otherwise I feel pretty good and so far have experienced no problems that I wasn't expecting as the hospital fully explained everything to me before my op.

I feel so sorry for those who have had a bad experience with this op but just wanted to post how its been for me to hopefully show that not everyone has bad problems so to anyone who has to have this op please try not to worry too much. The risk of leaving a damaged gallbladder in your body for me far outweighs the risks of discomfort from the op.

Good luck to everyone, I hope we all get back to the life we want and deserve xx