New Reply New Topic Followed by 29 people

I had my gallbladder removed two days ago and I feel horrible.. My arm, legs, back and neck hurt so bad that I can't hardly move.. My stomach don't even hurt that much.. Is this normal? /:

I had my Gallbladder removed on 18th May. I have had none of the side effects I have read on this forum, maybe I am one of the lucky ones. The only thing I have experienced is a pain in my right shoulder, more of a niggle than a pain really.

I had keyhole surgery and the surgeon said there is no need for follow up as all stiches are internal and dissolving.

P.S. This was done on the NHS.

I had gallbladder surgery 11 days ago and still have not had a bowel movement. I am using miralax everyday and it does not seem to help. Should I use a suppository. The nurse did not seemed concerned when I spoke with her.

I had laparoscopic surgery five days ago becasue I could no longer take the extremely painful gallbladder attacks occurring from all my gallstones. I had high hopes of everything getting back to normal much quicker than this....The surgery went great and I only had to take pain meds for 2 days and then went to Tylenol. I returned to work three days after the surgery, but only becasue the job is not strenuous. My biggest problems have been constipation and the EXTREME bloating. I no longer have constipation, as I drank magnesium citrate for a few days, which took care of that problem immediately. The bloating is something that I did not expect. Right before the surgery, I weighed myself....the day after the surgery I weighed 7 lbs more than the day I had surgery! I guess this was from all of the bloating. 3 days after the surgery, I was back to my original weight, but I don't know how because my stomach is SOOOOO swollen. The only way I can wear my work pants is to keep them unbuttoned and wear the front low under my bloated belly! This is really embarrassing and I did not expect this! However, I can say that I have not had any pains at all and I feel okay, besides the excessive bloating and super sore stomach. I'm hoping that I am back to normal by next week.

I went in with having those problems and am still having those problems...I feel sickness all the time.. I never want to eat and my weight is dropping like crazy!! I'm scared

Hey I just had my gall bladder taken out last week. Im on week two. My stomach feels fine. Foods are coming back to me slowly. But im having chest pains. More like a achy pain at the bottom center of my chest bone. Also I feel like their is a rock in my throat. Does anyone else have this feeling? Im young and have a healthy heart so it wouldnt be that?

@ sweet chillie
i am going through the same thing right now. absolute nightmare. what kind of antibiotics did they have you on after your follow up etc?

I am a 30 yr old female - strong / healthy until this. I spent almost 2 weeks in the hospital. My gallbladder got obstructed w/ a stone and died and was turning gangreenous and spreading infection through my body and most importantly almost to my liver. Scarey. They actually sent me home from the hospital several times before surgery - I could have died - shortly. Anyways I had heavy iv antibiotics in the hospital. When I got out i got a four day perscription and was healing up great. acouple days after the antibiotics ran out - 2 weeks post surgery. I got abdominal bloating, small brown spots on the back of my hands, pangs in my surgery sites and getting the run around from my drs and surgeons. once your out of the hospital help is hard to come by. so i guess my only option is the e.r. - to get blood work and ultra sound to see if I have liver problems or just an infection or what.

I am just researching treatments - since most drs wont do anything for you unless you absolutley force them. I would like to go in there with the right knowledge this time.

so let me know how it worked out for you.

665

I am on the waiting list to get my gallbladder out. I live in Northern Ireland i just want to know how long people had to wait to get theres out on the NHS?

Also after i get my gall bladder out can i go back to eating what ever i want?

Thanks

Thank goodness I found this website! I was worried about the pain Im in after my gall bladder emoval surgery, but thanx to this website I can see that I am completely normal. Its been 6 days since my surgery, and I am still in a bit of pain and really battling to walk. That day after my surgery, I only had liquids. I first woke up in terrible pain, but fell asleep again and woke up ok. That night I was able to sit up for little bits at a time. I battled to sleep that night though because I could only sleep in one position without too much pain. I could walk around very slowly when going to the bathroom. The next morning I could sit up while eating with still a bit of pain. I walked all the way to the car that day when I was released but with a lot of pain. The day i left the hospital I was already eating solid food fine! But fatty foods still make me feel a bit ill. The pain medication I was given really helped... until today when I ran out. I assumed it would be fine because that was all the medication I was given, but I really struggled with the pain. Tomorrow Im definately getting another perscription! Since my surgery, I have just been resting, watching lots of tv and eating tons of fruit. I just hope that I am able to walk soon to get back to work. I was under the impression that I would be 100% after just a few days... I wish they had prepared me for the reality. I have been constipated since and also had difficulty breathing deeply. Otherwise I have been eating normally and sleeping a lot! Thank you for everyones stories! They have really put me at ease. :-)

Yeah that sucks that you are having brown spots show up. That sounds like a blood infection or something. I would go back to the ER have some blood test done. I will pray for you that it isn't your liver or anything serious. Hopefully it is something minor. And too the person who just posted something, it takes like 3 weeks for the abs pain to go away, months for it to go away permanently. But at least you can still eat normal food. I cant eat anything greasy or steak yet.

Little back story for me, the day I got hurt was 6 months ago. I was working out doing dead lifts wrong. I felt like my stomach was on fire and that i pulled my abs apart since I didn't suck in my gut while doing this. Also I was a big work out buff and made a rookie mistake. So that night I went to the hospital since I was having trouble breathing and have upper abdominal pain. Thought I was having a heart attack since I did so many supplements and stuff. They said it was nothing , did a CT scan of my lungs and gave me some meds. Didnt feel better so they sent me to a Gastrologist . That is when they did a endoscope and seen I had a small/med hiatal hernia, gastritis, acid reflux, and a ulcer. I never had stomach problems before or had heartburn. I use to be able to eat anything I wanted without feeling like bloating or burping up food. So they put me on meds for the acid reflux and nothing worked. Could only eat bland foods and thats when they tried my GB , they did a sonogram and a radiology test to see if my GB was working. No stones it just stopped working.

So they removed it. Went 2 weeks feeling great after my GB was taken out before my acid reflux came back and pain in my upper left hand side of my abs right under the breast bone. Also I have a shortness of breath, not bad but enough to feel like I have one, also I feel like I gotta lump in the back of my throat. And if I lay down after I ate something within a couple hours and fall asleep on the couch , i will wake up like as if I cant breath and feel like something is in my throat. I cant sleep on my back really cause it feels like a lump in my throat and so I sleep on my sides on a wedge pillow made for acid reflux people.

Had a CT scan of my (abs) and (pelvic) are and a bacteria test. Both came back normal. So my gastro doc is sending me back to my hernia doc who took my GB out. The Hernia doc is pretty confident it is my Hiatal Hernia. I am hoping it is just that. Cause the Gastro doc said he doesn't know any other test he could, all the ones I have had already ruled out anything serious. So hopefully this is it, if not I will have to go to George Town to the specialist. Has anyone had these problems or pain ?

I had my gall blader removed after I got pancreaitus. It has been 11 weeks since the surgery. I felt pain for the first two weeks and then relief when I went back to work. I guess the more you move around the less it hurts. I have heartburn now. I never had before. My face cleared up. I lost thirty pounds. But the best thing of all is I feel normal. Before surgery I was a litte sluggish in the mornings. I have four ugly holes from the surgery but I'm okay with that. Bottom line, I feel great now.

So after reading all of these responses, so far, I seem to be one of the lucky ones. I got REALLY sick from my anesthesia, and nI was eally sore and uncomfortable for the first 2 days after surgery. But I followed the doctors advice and kept icing my stomach area, that really helped the swelling. Now, here iI am, day 3 after surgery, AND I wouke up today feeling almost completely normal. My discomfort went down to a 1 , without medicine, and I had my first BM, which was no problem (I think because I stopped taking the narcotics yesterday). I had energy and wanted to get out and do things , but of course I couldnt, because I didnt want to push it. Glad I didnt, cause I started to fade early in the afternoon. anyways, I can say, the swelling I am worried about, but Im still icing the area, and will continue to untill all of the swelling is gone (by the way, the swelling can be your bodies natural reaxtion to digesting fat) . I will continue to post untill I go back to work... (Im off for 2 weeks). Hope this is helpful... I just followed the doctors orders to the letter...

littleangel34 wrote:

I had the surgery two weeks ago and feel so much worse. I have alot of pain in my back and have diarrhea. I am having some discomfort when I breathe in. I am so upset and would like to talk with others who have gone through this.

I am 4days after gall bladder surgery getting it removed and I have had a pain in my back on the right side near my shoulder blade and diarrhoea also ever since surgery! Also my wrists are really sore like I have arthritis?? When I breathe in and out it hurts in my back aswell! I also have a sore neck and headachey nausious like Im getting a flu or something... :( Is it gas pain? What are the symptoms of gas pain?

There are just so many of us out here with similar problems, it seems, and it's helpful to share experiences. I, and others -- no doubt, look forward to hearing results of your recent tests when you get them.

Perhaps several different doctors should be consulted instead of relying on just one. I changed gastro docs after the colonoscopy because I didn't care for the demeanor of that person. The doc I've seen since after the colonoscopy and after the GB surgery, (the one with his own gall bladder story) seems a lot more interested and can undoubtedly relate better to what goes on with us, post-op GB surgery.

thanks!!

_________________
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

sgb45504 wrote:

Had mine removed on 4/24 (yesterday) and this morning when i weighed myself, i was 5 - 7 lbs heavier.

Anyone else had an immediate weight gain?

this is from the gas, they blow your stomach up to look like you are 9 months preggers