Hi there mate, i suppose its between 8-10 units, basicly a couple of strong ciders or a bottle of wine !

Thing is its been an issue since i was about 16.. i started drinking before then but not at any real level.. of course as soon as i hit 18 and had my own flat and income i simply drank every evening, i do about 3/4 evenings in a week now so anyhing up to 50 units a week as i tend to drink more on a friday/sat night.

Im not Alchol dependant, as in i dont get up at 6am and poor a glass of something..

But i have to say i worry about it alot, and even that doesnt stop me haveing a bottle of wine of an evening, i literally think about alcohol (be it worrying about health or when i can have a couple of beers after work) all the time..

According to what i have read, 10 years of heavy drinking can cause liver cirrhosis, out of interest you say you are 55, when did you start drinking ? and how much do you drink ?

I dont exersise much no, i have fairly physical work but i dont go out specificly to work out !

I have had a couple of liver function blood tests in the past, both came back fine (last one just over a year ago) and all the tests they did includeing the the upper GI and berium enima (yuk) came back fine too, as did a lower Abdominal CT scan earlier this year.

The lump i feel under my ribs is nasty, and the back pain fron under my right shoulder blade is horrid, yet i know a drink makes it 10x worse, i still do it as i find it eases the stress of life in the evenings.

Again thanks for that reply ! nice to know someone is reading about these things and obviously worrying to an extent same as i am.

Hello, again, to you! I basically have been a drinker all my life. As with most people, the longer and older you get, you tend to consume more. It wasn't until about two years ago, I started to become concerned because, off and on, my liver on the right side started to quiver. I discussed this with my GP. He's great. I can talk to him about anything, and he makes no judgments on anybody or anything like that. Since I was concerned, we did the gauntlet of tests, which included a liver sonogram. All tests came out fine, and he told me that does not give you the green light to keep drinking. Well, I did continue with my habit until, as I said, last June started having pains, so stopped. To get cirrhosis of the liver takes a lot, and I mean a lot, of alcohol. You are so young, that I continue to state that your problems are not from drinking, but your drinking aggravates your problems. A bottle of wine contains only four glasses of wine, so really that is not a large quantity. Also, I take a lot of vitamins and minerals, and swear by magnesium. Magnesium will cure whatever ails you!! Keep in touch!!

Hello all, I thought my story might be of some use to all of you. About six years ago, I was eight months pregnant with my daughter and was suddenly crippled with lower back and side pain. My OB told me it was my daughter kicking my rib and causing bruising. After a month and a half, ER trips every other day and two hospital stays, I was diagnosed with a kidney stone so large that it blocked my kidney completely. My urine samples were showing no sign of blood because nothing could drain from that kidney. When an ultrasound was done, my kidney was doubled it's normal size and I was constantly vomiting bile (a bitter, alkaline, brownish-yellow or greenish-yellow fluid that is secreted by the liver). I now have irreversible damage to that kidney. If I drink, the day after, my side, right at the base of my ribs, and my lower back ache and hurt. I have the same symptoms when I drink a lot of coffee. If you suffer from occasional or chronic pain as I do, I have found that reducing my alcohol and caffine consumption and drinking more water and juices helps. I bought a juicer and juice a mixture of vegatables and fruit. Also try getting some cranberry gel caps for a semi daily dose. They work miracles. Not to say any of you have kidney damage but it sounds to me like many of you are experiencing pain from an irritated or inflamed kidney due to alcohol consumption as alcohol does cause dehydration and your kidneys suffer when you are dehydrated. I still have a good kidney that reminds me of the consequences of my bad decisions when I abuse my body, as it should be. Your pain, unless accompanied by the taste of metal in your mouth, delirium, extreme pain(can not sleep for days), vomiting, blood in urine, .. etc., is most likely your body telling you if you keep it up, you will cause damage. I hope this post helps.

Hi folks. I'm in this club. I started drinking more heavily than anyone should about two years ago. I had a lot of problems with a daughter, a stalker, and work, and started drinking as soon as I got home every nite. About two months ago I started having the pain under my right lower rib that you all describe, so went to AA and tried to stop drinking. After about two weeks the pain almost went away. Then, an old friend came to visit and we went out, and I started drinking again. Pain came back and then I got a kidney infection from waiting too long to deal with a UTI. I was real sick, the infection was real bad, but with real strong antibiotics I kicked it. Now I also have a steady pain under my last rib in my back, which I suspect is my right kidney. My doctor is overworked so I hate to bother her again. She already had me go thru blood tests and a sonogram for the pain in the front right side of the front of my body and all the tests came back normal. I'll wait a couple weeks and if the pain in my lower back is still there, bug her again to try to get to the bottom of it. I'm not drinking at all now and the pain under my right front rib is negligible. I'm trying not to drink for a year. I'm a small woman and older (56), so need to be careful about alcohol anyway.

I think people are basically fine with no more than two drinks a day, especially with food and spaced out over a couple hours, but common sense indicates that more alcohol than that is probably going to do some damage and I'm with all those who take the lower right side pain as an indicator to stop for a while at least. I'm all my daughter has, so it's imperative that I act like an adult and take care of myself.

My question though is: Has anyone had pain under the right rib of their back that didn't go away even after you stopped drinking? My urine test came back after my infection with a few E. Coli cells but no blood or other indicator of any other kind of issue.

Thanks.

My problem has been similar with one distinction no one seems to have mentioned. If I drink heavily for a couple days I get the side pain, in the middle of the night, and it goes away after i pee, or at least a couple minutes afterward. It happens on nights where I've had so much I have to pee three or four times over the course of the night. The pain is the worst if I wake up on my right side, and if I roll onto my back the pain seems to move toward my back, but still on the right side, as if the urine in my body itself is the cause and I'm affecting where in my body it is. I haven't had any tests or anything, hoping thats not necessary as I have no health insurance. Is anyone experiencing this?

I am 49, i have drank all of my life, quiting on occasions for a year or two. and yes about 11 months ago i started having pain on my lower right side. I do drink, mainly on the weekends, i do drink pretty heavy when i do. however, my pain is not always after drinking alcohol, but it does seem to hurt more when i do. i thought it was my bed at first (it may be part of the problem, since it does not seem to hurt as much when i sleep on the couch) while i sleep, i cannot sleep on my back, it hurts way to much. but if i sleep on either side in a fetal position, i can sleep. I've not been to the Dr. yet. But, if i need to pee when i awake, there are times i can't hardly crawl out of bed. It hurts so much.The more i need to pee the more it hurts. however, once i go and pee the pain will start to go away and over the course of the day and the more i pee, it goes away. This happens 1-2 a week. I am going to go see my doctor soon, i'll let ya'll know, how i turn out.

I am a 41 year old drinking 20 beers a week. Usually in two settings.
I am also really into alternative medicine and for the last 3 years I have been doing colonics and coffee enemas that help your liver to detoxify. Lately though I have been suffering mild pain on the right side under my ribcage. What it seem to be a pain from the liver. I have taken some blood tests that came back with some indicative of possible issues with my liver. I am scheduled for farther test for the liver. So I am keeping my fingers cross.
One thing I have notice is that my stool has been really loose for the last few months. No sure if any of you here have had similar experience.
I know that changing my drinking habits may help or solve the entire issue for that matter. But if I am going to take any drugs that may damage my body in some way even if it fix something else, I prefer to take a drug that at least make me happy (or temporarily happy.) Ain't it that the reason why is so hard to quick drinking? ;-)
Keep you posted...

Hi everyone ive been experiencing the same pains exactly how everyone describes and have found this really helpful, i was really worried id done my liver damage, but i see what the problem was now. I experienced the same feeling after smoking weed and because it is also a diuretic i see its definitely the kidney problems described and im going to take the advice of the last post and take things easy for a while. This was a big help and relief!

Hmmm It's hard to say that the pain is a result of diuresis, considering that the glomerulus (blood filtering part of the kidney) filters all plasma and it is a matter of returning components from the filtrate (the filtered plasma) to the blood. So think of it more a selective replacement to the blood rather than selective filtration - in this regard the inhibition of ADH would increase the volume of fluid in the collecting tubules and ureters, however this happens in normal physiology with no real consequence. Right sided hypochondrial pain is suggestive of hepatitis - the pain would be dull unless there is inflammation of the lining of the liver...however - should there be inflammation of: the cystic duct (from gallbladder), hepatic duct (from liver) or common bile duct (a combination of borth the cystic and hepatic duct ...and later the pancreatic duct but don't worry about that); the pain will become more sharp and severe. These structures (the ducts) contract in waves called peristalsis that make the pain intermittent - termed a colic pain. Conversely the dull liver pain will not be intermittent in leiu of factors that make the inflammation worse (i.e. taking panadol or other exogenous substances that are metabolized by the liver this list is long and exhaustive but includes many medications, alcohol and components of recreational drugs such as maruajana) In addition, the ureters are also contractile and renal colic results from inflammation of the collecting tubules, ureters and ureters whilst nephritis (inflammation of the functional units of the kidney) will cause a more perisistent and less sharp pain. This thread describes a few different conditions but they appear to range from acute hepatitis (albeit a mild hepatitis from increased liver activity) to nephritis/nephrosis/ureteritis (can be from infection or obstruction). IN terms of diagnosis hepatitis, if still in acute phase and related to alcohol will show up in a liver enzyme tests - as for the renal pain - should it be persistent a urine test (for the presence of red/white cells and protein) will help identify nephrosis/nephritis or ureteritis. CT scans show morphological changes such as swelling, firbrosis and calcifications useful in cirrhosis, enlargemetn of the liver and kidneys, nodules and cysts etc. Exhausing that there are more invasive and sensitive tests in the way of liver biopsy and pyleiogram (contrast that shows the flow of filtrate from the kidney to bladder to urethra) to show marks of inlfammation and in the case of the liver - deposits of adipose tissue (steatohepatitis) and ureter obstruction/deformities. As for a history based diagnosis it is possible to narrow down the cause of the pain but in the absence of definitive test results a diagnosis is difficult - bare in mind - whatever the problem - the pathology that will cause abnormal test results should be investigated quickly to give a good indication of the pathology. Get the blood/urine tests done while experiencing the pain - they are fast and relatively non-invasive and cheap.

It's a relief to know that I am not the only person who struggles with this pain...I've had two uric acid kidney stones, gall stones (still present), and recently my hepatic function panel has come back with my liver enzymes off--Bilirubin up 1 pt, iron 3-4 times, and a couple others that were off. the doctor did an ultra sound and said there was no damage to my liver. I stopped drinking for a week, then slowly started drinking again. I drink about a pint of liquor a day. I'm a hispanic female, 5' 2", and 105 lbs. I also have struggled with an eating disorder (bulimia) for about 15 years. Does anyone know if the eating disorder can affect the liver, even if I quit drinking?

Hmmm alcoholic hepatitis would show up on blood tests and ultrasound, your bilirubin and iron aree probably elevated due to impaired secretion of bile and haemolysis due in no small part to blood vessel damage. If your currently still bulimic it won't be affecting your liver perse but causing it's role physiologically (bilirubin conjugation and excretion) to become more difficult. The acid from your stomach causes inflammation and small haemhorrage of the blood vessels in the eosophagus and stomach itself while interfering with normal bile secretion as the stimulus for it's release hinges of food passage through the duodenum. Drinking alcohol also adds to this as now the liver cells (hepatocytes) must devote some of their NADH (potential ATP - cell energy) to metabolizing the ethanol and also the ethanol itself results in oxidative damage to the cells. If your bilirubin is elevated you should not be drinking - even if it's out of precaution. It would be a relief if you sort help for the bulimia, it's nothing to be ashamed of and overwhelmingly common. Your health is in your hands and it's ok to seek help about it.

i have been feeling a dull pain in the lower right abdominal region for the last 4 days after drinking on sat. i rarly ever drink and went to the docs and they did a cat scan and numerous blood tests and came to the conclusion its muscular ....is it really possible to pull a muscle through drinking alcohol ?

Really, they came to that conclusion? Well it seems incorrect as the pain caused by muscular injury is a sharp, well defined pain whereas visceral pain such as that caused by inflammation of your liver is dull and poorly defined (until the later stages of the disease). It's. Probable that the alcohol consumption caused a more acute pain response and the physiological reason behind it had resolved by the time they did the test. If your taking any medication, a combination of that and alcohol could well have compounded to cause the acute inflammation. Alternatively you can pull a muscle while drinking depending on what manner of physical activity you get up to drunk haha but a lower right pain could be your costal cartilage, insertion for your obliques or intercostal muscles. Usually from coughing or possibly falling asleep in an odd posture.

im on a strong med called accutane thats hard on the liver and pancreas but they said where im feeling pain is no where near those two ...and nothing done by tests points to any of that ....im not drinking again till the med is done in a couple months but do you think permanent damage was done ?