Dear CobbStar77: Thanks for your wise, detailed post. You are correct on many points, especially sticking to low alcohol drinks, and quality wines. I gave up spirits a couple of years ago, and drink only high quality wines. I have found if I have only 1 glass of cheap wine, the next morning I have a headache. I haven't had the right-sided pains I used to have since giving up spirits. Thanks!!!

I went out and drank way to much on Monday, it's now Thursday and I am a mess.  I've got pain in my lower right side, severe dehydration from binge drinking, and swollen puffy eyes and just look like the walking dead, I also have breathing problems. I am giving up drinking, it's no fun anymore. I never had this problem in my 20s, it's started in my 30s and I am not able for the drink anymore. Feels like I've been run over by a truck every time I drink now.

Do yourselves a favour and stop drinking before you do permanent damage or die. Seriously.

I am 32 years old and had my gall bladder removed when I was 18 after a stomach ache that lasted for 3 days alerted me that stomach aches weren't supposed to do that. I went to the school nurse who sent me directly to the hospital, where I was given a sonogram and told that my gall bladder had choked on gall stones and was shriveled and black inside my body and needed to come out, and that if I had waited a few days longer, I'd be dead.Last night, after a few shots with my roommates, I began to feel a sting in my lower right side. My roommate insisted on one more shot, and I didn't want to because I was concerned about the discomfort, but I took it, and immediately the pain got worse. This has happened in the past, but never to such an extreme that after a few hours or a good night's sleep the pain was still there. Now it is late afternoon of the next day, and if I don't pretty much sit still or walk slightly hunched forward, it hurts.I have also been more frequently getting brutal stomach aches after eating things like frozen yogurt, whey protein smoothies, too much pizza, anything with high quantities of dairy. These stomach aches leave me doubled over in pain for hours. Years ago my doctor told me they were a belly acid problem, I have medicine for this, but it is always nevertheless a waiting game.I am also overweight. Odds are my liver is at least somewhat fatty. I know all of these circumstances are connected. What I don't know is whether I should be running to a hospital for an ultrasound, or whether I can simply wait out this new pain and stop drinking alcohol and eating pizza!

V true what every one is mentioning. The body - mine and yours is the best doctor, healer and informer, foremost.

Listent to it please

Much health for all and preserve it

T

hi

this is a very interesting site. i have been drinking for 50 years now - gradually reducing my intake to now around 30 units a week, but when i start i find it difficult to drink just a bottle of wine and at least 1 x a week can end up drinking a bottle and a half ( around 12 units) when i do this i get a dull ache in my right side. i have regular blood tests which my doctor said are always fine re liver function and have had a scan 18 months back with nothing showing but they said that i have got a fatty liver so need to reduce drinking and get an even better diet - no sugar / no white bread / pasta etc - though i already have a Mediteranean diet with a lot of salad, veg and fruit - because the doctors have always said my liver is fine i have carried on drinking but from what others are saying perhaps i should try to take a break rtaher than just not drinking the day after a bottle of wine+ - now when i wake up in the night i often notice a dull ache in my right side - which usually disappears by mid morning. when i dont drink alcohol i drink a lot of tead - black with milk - is this bad fro the liver?

finally one doctor said the liver does not produce pain is this right? he said it was more likely to be irritable bowel syndrome - though no scans have shown anything specific. any advice or comments?

thanks

cg

I have experienced the same problem for years. This sounds funny, but I have a feeling that all of you are falling asleep with a full bladder of alcohol. It took me years to figure out why my lower right side (above my hips/lower lumbar) would hurt? I'd drink beer on Friday...literally drank until I fell asleep & would be too lazy to urinate. Wake up the next morning hurting - these weird inner pains...like inflammation or something. I'd go into "stretch" mode and pull out the big blue ball and start stretching my back out. This would help a little...until Saturday night when I added Whiskey to the beer mix. Drank until I fell asleep and woke the next morning with pain..and a numb foot/leg. Okay - so I decided to not drink on Sunday to test this. Guess what - the hurt went away (alittle). The following week I decided to drink beer...BUT two - three hours before I fell asleep; I'd start drinking water and decided to empty my bladder before falling asleep. I made myself wake up a few hours later and urinated again. I cannot believe this actually started to work. If you empty your bladder before you fall asleep, you'll feel so much better the next day.

To the 32 yr old fellow above who posted about the liver pains and the stomache cramps after eating too much many products with dairy in them.    I just wanted to mention that the pains you experience from the dairy is most likely lactose intolerance but that you should have a doctor verify this.  You can also buy a product like lactaid to test this theory out as it will help you digest the lactose properly.   As for the liver pain after drinking, yeah that is just normal liver inflammation that many people get after drinking heavily. I am 39 and also just experienced liver pain (dull throbbing in upper right side/back area) for the first time yesterday after drinking whiskey all day the day before in order to self-medicate anxiety issues. I've had kidney pain (and kidney stones) and this is distinct from that pain as its in a different area.    I also have been drinking heavily for the past 5 years that began with once a week drinking but escalated slowly to 7 drinks a day (with days or even weeks sometimes between bouts of drinking).  It's never to drink until blacked out, but to maintain a buzz throughout the day.  Obviously the body can't tolerate this and is now showing me warning signs.  I'm what they call a "functional alcoholic" in that days that I try to self-medicate with alcohol, I can have one or two shots of spirits every hour to maintain a low level buzz. Nobody notices unless they smell it on my breath due to the alcohol come from my blood and exhaled from my lungs.  This drinking habit is partly related to being unemployed for several years now and having little to do but drink when I'm not motivated to look for work or pursue other hobbies and do volunteer work.    When I'm busy doing volunteer work or other hobbies, I have no desire to drink.  My drinking addiction also started ironically when I began drinking while doing online gaming in the evenings.  This took it from a weekly thing with friends to a daily thing...with online friends.  So if you're a young person who is a gamer, don't get into this habit as it can develop rapidly into an addiction.

At any rate, I know that this liver pain is a warning to me by my body.  Given that I haven't been drinking heavily for many years, I know that I have a fair chance to make things right.   In the past I went as long as a month without drinking so I know for me that I should be able to stop or at least heavily curtail my drinking to once or twice a week and with heavy amounts of water.   I've also found that substituting non-sweetened sparkling water helps to satisfy my cravings for beer.  For cravings for wine, sparkling grape juice is excellent.   Now when I get a craving for a good whiskey or a nice sweet rum, those are more difficult, but I might try butter rum candies maybe.  Another tip...don't keep alcohol near where you spend most of your day at home.  Instead keep a case of bottled water near you.  Also do not substitute one dangerous addiction for another.  So don't get hooked on Valium or something like that instead.  If you're going to find another addiction make it a healthy one like an addiction to exercise or gardening, or drinking fruit/vegetable juices.  

Aside from that I exercise regularly and thankfully have a juicer and eat fresh fruit and vegetables from my organic garden.  I just need to start making a lot more juices.  I know in the past that milk-thistle and dandelion plants mixed with a banana/protein mix shake has really helped me detox after bad hangovers and that they are two herbs that are both known to be excellent for cleaning the kidneys and improving liver function.   B-12 or B-complex vitamins (sublingual or injected B12 if possible) are also excellent for boosting energy levels.    I also have digestive issues (colitus which is inflamed areas of the bowels) especially with red meat and have found that taking pancreatic enzymes along with additional fiber supplements (psyllium fiber) helps tremendously as well as regularly taking probiotics. By that I mean not just eating yoghurt with live cultures, but also rather taking probiotics tablets which are full of beneficial bacteria like acidophillis that will help digest foods better and keep out harmful bacteria.   So I am learning step by step to eat less red meat, more fiber, and now.... less drinking of alcohol. These are things that I sadly only learned in my late 30's though and that I wish I had done all of my life.   I also have never been as motivated to stop drinking as I am now. Why? Because liver inflammation GREATLY increases your chance for cancer of the liver which is usually fatal. 

The moral of my story:  Listen to your body and it will tell you what it needs and what NOT to eat/drink as well.     Also, remember, you are not alone!  I may start going to an AAA group if I run into problems quitting myself and you need to tell yourself that you may also need to do the same.  At the very least join an online alcoholics forum to get different ideas for what has worked for others.  This is my first step and I probably will be doing the same.  I love drinking (I love the taste of good beer, wines, and spirits).   However I also love life and need to love myself more (as I'm always helping others but rarely seek outside help for myself).  As such I know its time to change get my life into gear.  I hope the rest of you struggling with this addiction also will do the same and work to also identify and deal with the underlying problems in addition to this nasty addiction.  

I am an Indian male 26 years old & I have been drinking whisky and lot of beer since the year 2006 ,

In 2010 I experienced pain in my lower back right side 6" above my hip.Then I quit for one year &

I was feeling okay , but I will feel little sharp pain If I will drink energy drinks or carbonated stuff.

Well in the start of 2013 I started drinking again And within three months of drinking now I am feeling

sharp pain in my lower right & left both sides.My tummy is kind of swollen.I don`t have any other symptoms

except this. I can do exercise ,run & have a good appetite.But Iam very worried about these pains & I don`t have

health insurance.I don`t want to die soon , I want to do lot of good things in my life.Can you guys please tell

me that whether my body is already irreversibly damaged or I can cure it at this stage.?I don`t have money to

afford a doctor without insurance. But Iam taking Milk thistle everyday now.I want to know why is this pain happening

when I abstained for one year only within 3 months. I would really appreciate helpful replies that will help me come to normal

so that I can live. God bless you all!

AA was my answer. I encourage you to go to a meeting and meet the world's most awesome people....recovering drunks!!

Self control is the answer.

I also will be totally honest here. 31yo female, slim, tall, history of recreational and prescription drug abuse. Rid of the drugs (recr.., still on the xan and vals, prescribed under sufference from local doc... Oh yeah, I'm on a tiny island, and on Disability.) But drinking is my vice now, espesh cos I've just moved interstate with my partner (who I'm sure is quickly losing patience). Drink far too much. (At least one, if not 2 btls of wine on a quiet night. Weekends a whole other story.) Dont know anyone here but his parents, who also drink a lot. Was smoking a lot of pot back home, seemed to work a lot better 4 me. (oh yeah, im bipolar...) Pain in mostly left if not right aswell, in kidneys most nights. Even some days. Uncle was on dialysis in his last years, plus ripped off his own mother for $$ for gambling debts for years. Recently found out my dad (after not speaking for 8 yrs) that he's spent nearly all he has on booze and Pokies. ("Slots" in US). Sorry if this don't make fluid sense, just reaching out... Working on getting a support network of docs here but slow process as small town and long waiting lists. Just need/want to know some1 gets it. Maybe I'm in the wrong forum. If so, pls steer me in right direction. Ta peeps.

I think many of the cases here are actually from an irritated bladder. Alcohol, smoking, spicy food, sugar, and anything else that increases acidity in the body will irritate the bladder on one or both sides, depending how you sleep after drinking and stuff. This is a cumulative condition and takes just as long to correct as it does to develop, just like most maladies. Think about it; acidic liquid resting all night in the bladder, night after night. Yipes! Knock out acidic food like sugar, alcohol, soda, pills, and other things that increase acidity like smoking and it should get better. Think of how sugar rots teeth. Now imagine what it does to the lining of the bladder. Also, try taking micro-plant powder and other green food to increase blood alkalinity overall. I imagine some folks here suffering these things probably also have other symptoms from acidosis of the blood mostly from drinking, smoking, and overall poor diet, riddled with sweets or food that turns to sugar, and lack of exercise. Increasing the body temperature daily with exercise is not a bad thing. Fasting, copious amounts of water, and bed rest will bring about the quickest relief to the symptoms described because that is how to lower blood acidity the quickest. Continuing with a low acidic diet should bring about much improvement overall, regardless of whatever the condition, unless of course other caustic things are in the air, water, etc.

I JUST CAME ON THIS SITE BECAUSE MY LANDLORD IS A HEAVY DRINKER--HE WENT TO THE DOCTORS AND HE OPENED HIS SHIRT --THE TOXINS FROM THE ALCOHOL HAS BEAN EATING THROUGH HIS WHOLE BODY--HE HAD A RASH ON HIS STOMACH--DOCTOR TOLD HIM U BETTER GET TO THE HOSPITAL ASAP--THE DOCTOR TOLD HIM IF U WOULD HAVE HAD ANOTHER DRINK U WOULD BE A DEAD MAN RIGHT NOW--HE IS OUT OF THE HOSPITAL BUT NOW HAS TO GO TO A DETOX CENTER --STILL DOESN`T LOOK GOOD FOR HIM--ALSO FOR THE 2 GLASSES A WINE A DAY PEOPLE --NOT GOOD--I THOUGHT IT WAS OK BUT A FRIEND OF MINE DRANK 2 GLASSES A DAY FOR YEARS AND THATS ALL SHE DRANK NEEDLESS TO SAY SHE WENT TO THE HOSPITAL AND THEY TOLD HER IT WAS HER KIDNEYS FROM DRINKING HER MEANSLY 2 GLASSES OF WINE A DAY THEY RELEASED HER AND THE NEXT DAY AT HOME SHE SAID SHE DIDN`T FEEL GOOD AND WENT TO LIE DOWN--SHE NEVER WOKE UP--SO FOR ALL U PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT THINK HAVING 2 DRINKS A DAY THINK AGAIN IT DOES DO DAMAGE---GOOD LUCK ALL GIVING UP UR COUPLE OF DRINKS A DAY--JUST SAYING--

Im the same as a lot of people here, I am in my early 30's and have drank heavily since I was 18 and binge drank before that. I drank a lot in my early to mid twenties, like every day. I felt like a day not drinking was wasted. Even when I was ill I would force some beer down.

I slowed down a bit around my 30's and even managed a couple of months of twice. Last year I had 2 months off, then started drinking again heavy pretty much everyday, more at weekends. Thats when I started getting pain in my right side. The ache tends to move around. Somedays it hurts at the front, others my side and sometimes my back.

I cut down my drinking to 1 night a week. When I stopped, the pain eased, but as soon as I drank again the next day it would be back. It takes maybe a week off alcohol to ease completely.

I stopped drinking for 3-4 months, and started again. And yet again, the pain is back. I only drink 1 or 2 days a week now, maybe a bottle of wine each time. I can't seem to quit completely, yet I am worried about the pain. I am reluctant to see a doctor, partly because its self inflicted, and I am scared that I have cirrosis or something. I did have a liver function test done a few years ago and it came back normal (before this pain started). I drank much more before then than after, so part of me is thinking I haven't drank enough to damage myself if I hadn't damaged it before when I used to drink much heavier. Good luck to everyone anyway.