Just curious if your PUJ Obstruction surgery solved your pains?

This is a very common allergic reaction to aleve. Aleve is very dangerous, they should not advertise it like they do. It contains sodium naproxen- ALOT of people are allergic to it and it causes life threatening situations. Please google dangers of aleve. Thank you.

I lost a brother in law at age 40 and a cousin at age 65 because of alcohol...let's face it, alcohol is not good for you and can cause a lot of damage, so why abuse it and take a chance that someone will lose you...try getting high on life, it's really a great high and you feel great the next day as well. Good Luck to all of you!

Please email me. I am going through exactly the same situation, which led me to this article and to your post. I can only hope you get this post since you made it a year ago (and as a heavy drinker myself I know we tend to forget about things) but I'd be so curious to know if you ever had any serious results. I have had like a quart of blood taken out of me for a multitude of tests and even my liver enzymes were normal. I was a recovering heroin addict when I started drinking, although before I started using painkillers, I was using alcohol extremely heavy for months. When I started using painkillers, they dont mix well with alcohol, and I liked them better, so I quit drinking for years, until I quit heroin/opiates and resumed drinking. After 2 days of extremely hard drinking while I was in a depression, I started having liver pain, but didn't have the will to stop and was reluctant to think 2 days of drinking was causing me pain in my liver. The first couple weeks I started back were very heavy, and after 2 weeks the pain got so bad I was actually walking funny and kind of cringing in the mornings after a strong night of drinking. If anyone can contact me and enlighten me, I am a 21 year old male who is scared for his life after all these symptoms, especially given how much pain I am having, and the pain persists for days after not drinking. I went through alcohol withdrawal to quit and still had pains although I only quit for 2 days and resumed drinking, it did not stop hurting at all during my short abstinence. Please someone help me.  ***this post is edited by moderator *** ***
private e-mails not allowed***
Please read our Terms of Use

I would love to know the same. I just posted a reply to Mikey about having the same symptoms, and I am only 21 and began having symptoms IMMEDIATELY after 2 days of binge drinking when I first resumed drinking after years of abstinence from alcohol (albeit I used painkillers to quit, and when I quit painkillers, I went back to booze). It's always something, right? The pain has gotten worse and worse but I am not ready to quit drinking at this point in my life. I don't know what to do.

i get the same pain, i drink every day im 24. i got a liver scan it came back normal, had a camera down the throat and normal. im over trying to figure it out. time for a can!

I have been drinking like 80-90 units a week for the last 7 years, I am now 33 years old white male. I thought like it is the time to do something about my liver and I started using "milk thistle" and "chlorophyll" supplements occasionally, not at the same time though.

4 weeks ago I caught gout on my feet which never happenned before. I also started to feel pain in my liver area a few days ago.

I know it is stupid to think that those supplements caused the pain I am now feeling but I have a question.

Is there anyone in here using liver detox supplements and keep drinking? (I dont take the supplements on the days I drink)

I am a white female, 24yrs old 5'2 and weighing 100lbs. I been having these pains myself when I ever so often do drink. And also seemingly out of the blue. I used to be a heavy drinker back in high school (at least for a female my size  ie- 12 bottles of beer just to myself fridays and saturdays along with 3-4 shots of stright hard liquer lol) and just the other night, only after 6 beers, both of my sides, right under my ribs internally, a raidiating wrapped dull pain washed over me. After every 4 beers, I drink a glass of water knowing if I didn't, I'd be completly dihydrated the next day to the point where you'd think I'd get water poising (which is possible). Weird thing is, the last time I even touched any amount of alcohol was back in Febuary :/

Yes, my family has a history of bad health problems both caused by drinking and smoking or plain ole genetics (which I smoke a pack a day myself). From liver, lung, esophigus, prostate, testicular cancers, to lymphomia, gullbladder and heart problems. (cancer is bad in my family obviously) I also take medication for lower back pain (though never when drinking or abuse them), I'm diagnosed with anexity and depression, though don't take meds for those problems due to a high tollerance of certain medications.

I'm a very active, health concious person, so I try my best to do whats right for my body, so when something occurs that shouldn't, I go to my doctor to make sure nothing is serious, or at least call and ask questions. I've had a multitude of tests done for the past year for other problems. Blood work and urine tests every so often come back with high tryc's & low blood pressures. I've also had UTI so many times, I can't even recall a number. And my most recent trip to the doc was to my gyno to have a cyst removed from my uterus. But before that procedure, I was put on hormone medication to induce my period since that was non-existant for 3-4months (the cyst was the cause of my problem)

I haven't vomited any bile, blood or mucus or anything of the sort (last time I was truly sick was about 3 years ago), nor urinated blood, but my urine is darker than usual for awhile now, even keeping hydrated (maybe my pain medication causing this?) My stool has been strange now for a week or so, not pale, though runny and a bright green in color. My diet hasn't changed any and I don't eat too much fatty foods.

I don't know weither or not it's more of a caffeene problem than it is just it being the alchohol thats causing this irritating pain, or there's a underlying problem that I need checked out, but all I know that my alchohol consumption is a less likely suspect when it comes to my sides being in pain.

(Sorry for any misspellings and writing my lifes story lol >w<")

I have been an"active" drinker for 8 yrs now..
and the pain in my kidneys are pretty severe.
I need to drink to take that pain away.
Seriously a catch 22 situation :(

It sounds like you really need some help quitting everything. I too am addicted to every mind altering drug there is. Please make a decision to get your life back (it's not easy but worth it). Can you go to a rehab center where you can be in a controlled environment. Do whatever they tell you to do to get sober and run with it. Good luck!

I, too, wake up... If I have been drinking or not..... I wake up with extreme lower back pain in the lower right and left quadrants. As well, I have a bloated liver. Right under my sternum, there is a swollen pocket.... It only feels better if I massage it, or drink more alcohol.... Prevacid seems to help a tad.... But not much. Yet.... Being that this is the "great country" the USgovt wants everyone to believe. However. It sucks. And healthcare is non-existant. 

the question for Americans now is, "Death or Debt....." 

Therefor I vow to not pay any more taxes, only shop atLouis Vuitton and Gucci, and die with what I Owe.... To hell with this "country...."

im ready to leave.... So I can continue to live. 

I don't know what is going on with me. I have been a drinker all my life, except for a few years, and I'm 56 now. I have the red palms that I find upon research that are usually found in cirrhosis persons. Lately I have low back pain, don't know why. No abdominal pain either left or right, just a full feeling like I have to burp sometimes. So scared of dying. I don't know.

I am a  37 year old female. I had a lower right pain about 7 years ago, I was doing to backpacking thing around Africa and Asia at that time, it was a constant party, way too much drinking. Anyhow when I was in Bangkok I heard of a hospital called bumrungrad or something like that.  I had a full physical done for about 300 bucks, they noticed something wrong with my right kidney, a blockage. After a ultrasound they said I needed surgery for a PUJ obstruction. I was moving to the uk a few months later and I had the surgery about 7months down the road. NHS, it was great after recovering.  

Now years later the pain is back and worse than ever, when I drink alcohol, I am in serious pain on both sides for days. Also coffee is bad. I  have been keeping up on having ultrasounds every year and they say the kidney is slightly blocked but that my left kidney now has a cyst, not sure what that means? I now live in the US  and they just don't seem to care, all the doctors have not been much help, I have been to a few, have no insurance so it's no fun when they are no help after having tests done and no answers that make any since. It is December, so it's is the Friday of months, Christmas is nearly in the door. Maybe january will be a good time to give up the booze.

Wow, this is all really interesting, thank you everyone. I have the same pain on the right side, below my ribs. I drink one or two glasses of wine about 3 nights a week. I've been feeling unwell lately, exhausted and realising I need to knock off drinking. I never thought that drinking in such moderation would have any ill effects to my health. I have a background of CFS and also get sore in the same place if I drink coffee or eat poorly. Also, I want to ask, sometimes after drinking my flesh burns for hours especially when I go to bed, this is worse if I've had soda or too much caffiene in a day. Has anyone else also experienced this? Thanks again for your honesty everyone! I stopped drinking 4 days ago and feel great, clear minded, but my liver is sore, and I assume after reading your posts that it will pass when my body has got rid of stored toxins. I thought that my friends who drink to drunkenness were damaging themselves but I wasn't, now I know better. I can't ignore my body any more. It seems to me that I am not alone though and many people actually suffer from these poisons which are marketed to us, and as others have already said, we need to listen to our bodies and do what is right for us as individuals rather than be influenced by popular culture, advertising and most of all, what our friends are doing. God bless and good luck everyone. Wish me well as I embark on 2013 alcohol free! :) oh I am a 40 year old female

Hi All, I'm reading these posts with interests as I have been having the exact same issues. I'm 29 and go out maybe 1-2 times per week which can vary between getting mildly drunk to complete carnage (blackouts etc). Back in 2004 in my 2nd year at uni I began developing the pains in my side and didn't know what was going on, the strange thing was though the it wasn't booze that triggered the pain but smoking pot. Whenever I'd get high the pain in my side would start and I'd end up prodding myself and looking in the mirror and driving myself insane with worry. The pain got worse and worse until eventually it seemed to extend throughout the entire right side of my body, in 2006 my girlfriend left me and I broke down completely, I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression and put on a course of anti-depressants - From that day on the pain went away.

Recently however the pain has come back with a vengeance, I don't smoke pot anymore but after a heavy night out it can be really bad, I've just been out for NYE last night and as I sit typing this my right side is throbbing. I've been drinking slightly more recently but I'm worried heavy drinking when I was younger has started to catch-up and I'm paying the price now. There was a point at uni over a period of months when I was drinking every night to the point of blacking out and not eating during the day and I'm worried about what this might mean for me now I'm getting older. From my experience I would advise the following:

1. Most people on here are probably doing the same as me; scared about the pain and trawling the internet looking for advice, reassurance or information on what might be wrong.....and scaring themselves stupid in the process. Sure the pain is real, but for me all those years ago it took a doctor to talk some sense to me and highlight my anxiety for the pain to go away. The mind/brain is a powerful thing, in my experience it seemed to be a catalyst for the pain, making it much worse. Once Id calmed down and convinced myself I wasn't going to die my brain stopped focusing on it and I stopped worrying, the pain went away. Also a hangover affects you mentally and will increase your overall levels of paranoia increasing the degree of pain. Go to the doctors and get a check-up and avoid self-diagnosis online, this type of thing only makes you more worried and makes the pain worse in my opinion.

2. Try taking milk-thistle twice daily or, if your out drinking, one before you drink and one when you get in washed down with lots of water. It is a herb you can take in tablet form which helps boost the digestive system and liver, i find if i take it after a night out generally the pain is less in the morning.

3. Avoid spirits, don't mix your drinks and drink better. I've had big nights on beer and wine and find i'm generally fine the next day, stick a couple of tequilas in the mix though and the next morning it feels like my liver might self combust. I now try to avoid spirits at all cost and stick to low alcohol content things and I'm generally ok. Also dont drink crappy brands, If im having wine i pay 10-15 a bottle, cheaop booze is cheap booze and in my opnion makes it worse. That's why I'm worried about the uni days when it was all about cheap vodka (Glens typically).

4. Avoid other liver/digestive system irritants (caffeine) and eat better and maintain a healthy diet - fruit and veg (broccolli for me).

5. Go see the doctor and get checked up and try to avoid big binges. Its better to continue drinking 1-2 pints of an evening than go 1 month clean and have a weekend binge. The pain is because your lived is overloaded with alcohol in such a short space of time, in my opinion light casual drinking is fine, its the sessions that ruin you.