I've been sick for a couple days now with a head cold. Today I was blowing my nose and saw the blue.

Yes, I am a female. Hmm

I also use an albuterol inhaler, as well as some other medicines to help with my sinuses.

Did we ever figure out what is causing it??

"Is blue mucus an urban myth?

No. It's rare but the two common colouring bacteria in mucus usually even out to green. But in the rare cases where the Pseudomonas aeruginosa/pyocyanaea (cyan meaning blue) outnumber enough Staphylococcus aureus which is yellow, the bogies produced are a cyan shade of blue. I've yet to actually see any though."

Taken from :
Interesting what a google search can do :-)

I am female, and also have the intermittent blue mucus but only from my left sinus. I work in a setting that has exposed me to some nasty bacteria (wound care) and I know that Pseudomonas can easily be spread because it lives on hard surfaces as well as in/on the body. My doctor listened closely to what I told her and then prescribed Augmentin/clavulanate 875 mg twice a day. Pseudomonas causes a blue/tealish color discharge. Those that are waiting a year or two before having it diagnosed, really should go to the doctor and mention Pseudomonas along with the blue color of mucus. In addition to the antibiotic, I highly recomment rinsing your nasal passages out with a saline rinse using a Neti Pot. It works wonders to clean out your sinuses and isn't nearly as bad as people say.

I am so glad that someone else is experiencing the same thing because i though that something was like really gong on when i saw that blue and sometimes black looking stuff when i blow my nose. this makes me feel better to see that i am not alone.

:O this happens to me too!
its been happening for a long time, i can't even remember how long ago it started for me,
its like grey-ish blue.
its so strange.
but at least now i know its not like, my brains or something xD

My daughter has been reporting blue nasal discharge recently and I finally had her show it to me. Sure enough, her mucus contained distinctly blue streaks that look sort of like fibers. I called the pediatrician on call and this doctor had no idea what could cause this and suggested using a neti pot and keeping an eye on it. My daughter had a bad cold and the nasal congestion has hung on for days, and that's when the blue streaks started. She's been on a flovent inhaler (because she gets asthma with colds) and using Rhinocort aqua nasal spray. I noticed one other person mentioned the same nasal spray. The idea that this is caused by a particular type of bacteria sounds plausible -- doesn't blue cheese have blue streaks? This blue is actually a brighter blue than in blue cheese, more teal, as others have described. So strange.

hey i came online looking ad came across this forum, I get the blue yucky stuff but its only when I blow my nose :S iv been getting it for quite a while now, does anyone think its serious or harmfull because tbh I was quite worried :S

I posted previously about my daughter and we finally saw a doctor today who solved the mystery! THE BLUE NASAL DISCHARGE/MUCUS IS CAUSED BY BLUE EYE MAKEUP!!! The tear ducts are connected to the nasal passages and she wears fairly heavy blue eye liner around her eyes. I assume she's noticing it more now simply because she's had such bad congestion recently from a cold that has hung on. Another poster noticed that most (all?) of these posts seem to be from women, often teens -- and that seems consistent with this theory. Most men don't wear blue eyeliner! SO, do all you people with blue nasal discharge also wear blue eyeliner??? I hope this is reassuring to everyone -- I certainly feel better knowing that my daughter is not harboring some strange blue bacteria. I did point out to her that she might want to lighten up on the makeup -- since it enters her body through the eye ducts, she's basically eating the stuff every day. And who knows what toxic stuff goes into eye-makeup. Yuk.

I, too, noticed the bright blue streak in my tissue after blowing my nose this morning. I do want to point out that I am a male and do NOT wear eye makup so we can cancel out both of those theories. I am recovering from a cold that lasted about 2 - 3 weeks strting in my throat, going up to the nasal region and then back to my throat, followed by a 5 day visit in my lungs. I am feeling a lot better but still hacking up yellow mucus and this morning, I discovered the bright blue mucus from my nose. It sounds like the only plausible explanation for this is the color of bacteria. Hopefully, we will hear from a medical expert at some point in the near future. :-)

Although I am relieved to know that I am not the only one with these symptoms, I'm also still a little nervous because nobody seems to have had an answer to what it is? Are we all fine, or do we all happen to be infected with alien blood and need to go to the hospital right away haha? Has anybody had this happen to them, and they asked their doctor about it?

two years ago i noticed i started hawking up blue loogies. after about a year I got really sick. Im now in the hospital with a terminal illness. Beware of the blue booger!

So wierd that all of you have blue streaks of mucus in your mucus like me!!! To notice everyone has been sick when they get this blue mystery boogey... So I read a lot of the posts on here and I'm still very confused. I'll explain how I ended up with these blue streaks, well I've been always sick for most of my life with terrible strep throat, every flu, every cold and every damn germ. Back in November 2009 I finally got surgery because I found a doctor who actually gave a damn and sent me for a CAT scan of my sinuses. I had a deviated septum, sinusitis(infection of sinuses-I had almost no oxygen getting into my sinuses), and swollen tonsils.. Ended up when they went in I was far worse then they expected and the surgery lasted longer then they thought cause I was so badly infected everywhere. Took me awhile to heal (btw really horrible pain afterwards but still way worth it -wisdom teeth were worse.) last month march 2010 I developed bronchitis & laryngitis, the ENT doctor put me on steroids and antiboditics and now three weeks later I'm a lot better but I felt like my bronchitis was coming back and I've been having major snot rockets after blowing my nose all day cause I know somethings down there and it just shoots out. I looked and a few times I've had that damn wierd blue streaks and it really was strange. (everyone thinks I'm crazy too but I guess they're the insane ones for not having neat blue boogers). Anyway, I actually went to my doctor today and he never heard of such a thing but looked around with a camera and says I still "wheez" because of my asthma.. But he and I both seen white resisdue on the inside of my nose and throat.. He wants to find out where this blue mucus is from too but as of now he thinks I have a Fungus so to use this ointment up my nose. If in 3 weeks I'm not better I will recieve another CAT scan. Sooooo.. This blue streaky mucus could be a fungus. Or like the one lady said it could be from blue eyeliner because I tend to use mine once in awhile. Another thought I had
on this whole matter, I kinda think it could be a majority of things... I have asthma, and I'm
sick a lot, I take an inhaler (advair & ventollin), I wear contacts so blue eyeliner or c**p gets in my eyes a lot, I've taken some of the antibiotics people have mentioned, polution, and I smoke cigarettes ( I know I need to quit ), ALSO 3 years ago I had my septum pierced and took it out soon after but who else shares some of these similarities??. I believe we all have something in common that makes this blue mucus come we just have to figure it out. I'm gonna wear blue liner tomorrow to test it out.

Question: I have read that a few ppl get a really odd smell with this blue mucus.. I only get the horrible kind of ammonia or really sickness like scent when I blow my nose very hard. Does anyone else get this odd smell?

wow i'm happy now..kinda haha. i've had a really bad sinus infection for about 2 months...and just recently i've been noticing a bluish-black color when i blow my nose...strange.

I am female and I have been sick with what seems like a cold for nearly 3 weeks now. I spit-up and sneeze out what appears to be tiny threads or ribbons of lint particles. They are dark blue and usually only come out twice a day or so. I live in a new building and do not expect mold spores, I do not use an inhaler, and have not been told I have a sinus infection (when I visited the dr)... I don't feel sick anymore but am still having the strange blue Mucus-tery (mystery haha) ..

let me know if anyone has a probable cause.

woww, me tooo. ive been having this happen alll the timee...im 16 and just when i started getting breathing problems three months ago, little blue squiggly things started showing up in my phlegm :/ ppl thought it had something to do w/ my lungs or something too, and i have noo clue what it could b tho!