I am also female, in my mid 20s...and I've been getting the blue streaks as if I sniffed lint out of the dryer! It started after a bad cough/bronchitis illness that I never went to the Dr for, and after about 3 to 4 weeks the cough and everything was gone - except I had blue streaks in my mucus! I read another poster who mentioned it only came out of her left nostril, this is the same for me. It's been going on now for about 5 months - and I'm glad to see I'm not alone! PS - I dont wear blue eyeliner so I dont think that is my solution.

I am a physician, and a patient of mine has noticed streaks in her phlegm for over a year. First they were blue, and now they are black. They look like small filaments / lint. Lets try to get to the bottom of this.

It might be helpful if anyone with these symptoms sent me an email with a) their initials and birth date, b) their sex, c) their chronic medical conditions (such as asthma), d) medications they use, and e) their whole story about black / blue / other streaks in their phlegm: what has made it happen / go away, etc. f) Reading through the posts above, two theories have been raised initially: Eye makeup causes this, or bacteria causes this. If each of you could tell me if stopping eye or other face make-up improved this problem, or if taking antibiotics improved the streaks, that might be helpful, too.

I have set up a dedicated email for this:

Of course, everything will be kept confidential. Sorry, but I can not give individual medical advice over the internet. But of course, if we figure anything out, I'll post here! Your help / your story is needed. Take a few minutes! Thanks!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

yea well i have had the same blue streaks coming out my nose thing is we all probolly got in common is asthma or a cold symptom but wondering if any of you guys smoke as well because it could help to know what we do all got in common and see if anything matches

ive actually woken from a bad cold today and noticed i had a blue tongue or a tongue covered in blue mucus. has this happened to anyone? This has before but now that ive looked up the symptoms on google i got a bit worried. im a 19 yr old male on antideppresants if that helps? it is actually more of a blue spot on the tongue i think is mucus because when i spit it blue as well. let me know when you guys figure it out cause it might be related to the blue streaks in your mucus.

Im 17 and i have somewhat the same problem.. Ill blow my nose and see blue dots.. They're not huge but still visible.. I remember when i was younger, 10 or 11, i went to the doctor and they asked me if i've seen any blue mucus before but at the time i couldnt truthfully say yes because i was young and never would have thought to look at my own snot..
:-P

Pseudomonas aureginosa is a bacteria which produces a compound called pyocyanin. This compound is pigmented (it is blue). If you noticed blue streaks in your sputum, you probably have a P.aureginosa infection.

P.aureginosa is a "ubiquitous" organism, meaning it is everywhere. Your body should fight it off naturally. If the infection persists, however, it could be that some other factor is weakening your immune system.

Well I followed this to what I think is its natural conclusion and came up with (for those suffering with colds too) bronchopneumonia, whereby the lungs have been infiltrated by bacteria...
Symptoms - fever, coughing, perhaps pain in the chest (more disturbing symptom), fatigue....
Solutions - Rest and honey and lemon juice apparantly!Code:

Ok... blue mucus..charming topic! :-D I have it too! but mine doesnt come out in strikes, sometimes its all blue! a light colour blue.. i used to think it was from Mascara or eyeliner, but i haven´t been wearing makeup for a week. then i thought it was from clubs when the have the smoke machines on.. i´ve wondered and wondered what it is, but still have no idea!

I have the same problem....Here is my thought. They say that our blood is blue in color until its hits the air (oxygen), I was thinking that maybe it is streaks of blood that is inside the mucus and it was never exposed to air. What do you think?????

OK, So for starters yes I thought I was the only one with this issue. From reading everyone's comments, Im glad I am not. I have had this blue string like mucous for about two years. I at first thought it might be lint as well. After looking at it in more detail, there was no way since its material was of mucous as well. I have mentioned it to doctors and they just shrug it off. At work, we just had test results come back and our office has tons of different types of mold. Many cancerous and dangerous. I have since moved but I do beleive this blue mucous occurence is deffintely related to mold. I also have asthma so it could be related to that, but I was born with asthma and only remmber this occurence for the past two years. Sounds like all of us that have this blue type mucous all have very similar symptoms, nasal infections, or sinus infections, but if I were you I would definitly get your home or work checked out for possible mold issues, I'm thinking thats the underlying factor which is causing the sinus and nasal infections as well as the blue mucous..

if anyone does learn anything of it please let me know!!

well it seems like it must come from sinus infections based what most of all you have stated; and blue must be blood that have not been exposed to oxygen yet which causes blue streaks instead od normal red blood but only way to find out is to take a simple to yo physicain
or if cant get a simple jus look up sinus infection nd see if blood streaks are common within the mucus nd there you go cus blood is blue in our bodyb4 its exposed to air and mayb the mucus has no air bubbles =) thats all I can think of cause it happens to me as well nd I was like omg Im dying

I've had blue, red, green and most recently... black streaks in mine. My doctor says I have really bad allergies... but I still think its weird.

I have this problem too I've had a bad cold that lasted about 2 weeks and it's starting to go away but I'm still blowing my nose and blue blood like "threads" come out in my snot occasionally. I'm a teen but I do not wear any blue makeup. I do use inhalers and take allergy meds and rhinecort aqua nasal spray but I haven't used that in a while...weird

I've battled chronic sinusitis and nasal polyps for several years. I just finished another round of Prednisone and was enjoying being able to taste and smell for a few weeks. Then after one of my daily saline sinus rinses I blew my nose and saw clear mucus with BLUE STREAKS! I thought I was seeing things and tried to think of anything I'd used that possibly was fuzzy and blue that might have made me inhale blue fiber. But it's happened again for the last three days now! This is so weird to me because I go through this cycle of sinus problems 4 or 5 times a year and have NEVER seen the blue fibers before! I'm glad to see I'm not alone and can't wait to hear what my doctor says about.

I am a 44 yr old woman. I have blue phlegm almost every morning. Its not streaky, its just blue (not a greenish blue, a "proper" blue). I am a lifelong NON smoker. I am told that I snore badly, so perhaps its something to do with that??