Well I'm 47 and have smoked daily since I was 18. I have stopped quite a few times for overseas travel but it is the lack of sleep that really gets me down. I love the stuff but with roadside testing, I don't want to be embarrassed in front of my kids or have to go to court because I have a tiny bit of THC in my system. I am an I.T pro and have held a good job for years. (I do tend to be pretty slack though).

I used to be a meth smoker as well and I quit that, so surely the weed should be a walk in the park.......

Not so....I just can't sleep and eventually the lack of the aforementioned has powerful effects on my personality, but I'm sure in time the sweet bliss of sleep will return. I love the dreaming that emerges when you stop, so profound and insightful, but sometimes nightmarish and sweaty. (Even nightmares are a cool experience in my reckoning.) It's been 3 weeks now and still struggling. Valium (10mg) helps, as well as Seroquel, but I don't want a replacement drug, so these can be used in an emergency. I was already fit from surfing, weights and running but I find exhausting yourself through exercise is a great option. The other day, I ran for one and a half hours and surfed for two and I had a good sleep except for some pretty awesome dreams. I suffered from insomnia when I was a young bloke, part of the reason I started smoking daily. My wife quit as well, but she can sleep, so it's definitely an individual experience. Hope this helps.

4 days after not smoking and my brain feels like its on speed, I can't seem to wind down, I know it's the weed craving but f**k ME I was not expecting this... average sleep the past few nights is 2 hours a night... any 1 else coughing up lovely stuff too??? reading this means I'm not the only 1 this is happening to... Read somewhere between 7-21 days things should get back to normal as your body is weaning off the drug.

Did you eventually stop? I'm going on day 2 and still no sleep smh lol it's difficult asf

I'm going on day 2 and I can't sleep for sh*t. It's hard asf bruh.

I was a heavy weed smoker for 10+ years. Made me short tempered, lazy, unsociable & there was just no drive in life.
Personally i dont think the drug is actually that addictive, its the LIFESTYLE that goes with the drug that's the addiction...in a nutshell, WEED MAKES DOING F*CK ALL BEARABLE!

Im coming up to 1 week with no smoke now & life & my general attitude is SO much better! Im back studying wanting to higher myself & career. Overall alot more positive happy person ...I actually care about stuff.
Im shaking my head now writing this to think how much of my life ive wasted on that green herb!

Only problem now is...I CANT SLEEP FOR SH*T!
Im lucky to get 2/3hours a night (first 2 days 0hrs sleep total!?)...the strange thing is that im actually able to funtion day to day with such little/non-existent sleep?! Im yawning my head off constantly, eyes stinging the lot...then i close my eyes??...just cant switch off!? Frustrating is an understatement!

I can't wait to get my natural sleep cycle back!
I know it will happen, just got to stay positive, man up & get through it...as should everyone who reads this & is in the same boat.
(its now coming up to 2am...fml! haha)
Stay strong & good luck!

It goes away in a few days. In the meantime take Benadryl or just suck it up for a few days. It gets better

I called myself taking the slow approach to stop weed. I use to have to smoke almost everyday that I could afford it even tho I would even when I couldn’t. I have family member that always have it available when I need it and sometimes I get the really crappy sh*t for free. I decided I would only smoke weed on my off days bc I was feeling so lazy some days I would call in just to go to sleep which is terrible, how am I suppose to pay for the weed if it has me too sleepy to work. But the symptoms of not smoking are the worst I can’t sleep the same as if I would if I had smoked, and it’s after I go two or more days without smoking. So I think weening yourself off it’s not the best idea but I thought it gave me back control. I’ve been smoking since 2012 maybe but heavily since 2014 idk really it’s been awhile but my brain all screwed up. I decided I’m just going to leave weed alone all together bc sometimes it makes me feel good other times just terrible when I don’t have it and I have no control over those feelings which is the only bad thing I feel like weed has done to me. I am for legalization but Idk if I really want to smoke blunts again. I support everyone on their paths and I’m on it with you as well, we all will do it.

A few days! Your joking aren’t you!? Guess everyone’s tolerance & amount of herbs smoked are different...mine was just over a week

Although sleeping tablets are an alternative to sleep opposed to weed, it’ll also have the same affect as cannibas to waking up in the morning, it’ll be hard. Also the affect medication has on the brain and in regular use it won’t be the same as weed but still pretty bad, unfortunately there aren’t many ways to cope with insomnia in withdrawals, unless you try get yourself into a psychological state in which you don’t need anything to sleep

going on my 8th week of no weed now, smoked every day for about 5 years (minus out of country vacations of course) and im still waking up at like 330am feeling totally awake, and then i keep waking up every 30-60min after that until its time to get up (around 630)

Im on week 3 now and still struggling to get to sleep...might be lucky to get 3 hours in tonight but doubtful...coming up to 2am now...alarm going off at 5am.
It’ll be worth it in the end! ... ...

tldr; I've basically been trying to quit for the last 2 years on and off... The longest I got was for 3 months(may-august of this year) and still was not sleeping more than 2-5 hours a night with meds from my doctor(mirtzapatine for sleep and buspar for anxiety caused insomnia ) and valarien root supplements. I basically can not shut my brain off. If I'm not worrying about something then my mind just wanders and half the time I dont even know why or how i started thinking about whatever it is.

The long story...

I started smoking to help me sleep, because before that i was taking benadryl every night for years going from the reccomended dose of 25mg until i built up a tolerance of needing 150mg to sleep... Then i started reading about what regular use of benadryl can do to your brain and is just all around horrible at those dosages daily. After moving to colorado for my current relationship I thought trying weed for sleep had to be better than benadryl. Now my girlfriend was never OK with me using marijuana and this created a MASSIVE strain on us. So I hid it from her as best I could and this obviously did not work very well. This went on for about a year with occasional use until it was nightly, days and nights... So either stop using marijuana or breakup. This is where me trying to quit for the last 2 years comes in. So we get into huge blow out fights of me or the weed ultimatums and i try quitting.

First time i tried quitting I lasted 3-4 days with no sleep so I would go back since i would just feel so miserable. This probably happend around 5 times and the duration would get longer and longer with the longest being around 2 weeks. Even went to my doctor for insomnia meds and he put me on 25mg trazodone and then 50mg the next time i try to quit and go to him for help with insomnia. Being on the trazondone and still unable to sleep 2 weeks later made me want to go right back to it. So I did.

Up until this last May. This time i decided I needed to have real willpower and get through it no matter how miserable i felt from not sleeping. I went back to my doctor after a week and he just upped my dosage of trazodone to 50mg then 2 weeks later to 100mg. A month later and I'm still not sleeping more than 3 hours a night and I'm desperate. Doctor takes me off of trazodone and puts me on 7.5 mg mirtazapine (generic remeron). This seems to help for a few nights, but seems to wear off. It helps me get to sleep most of the time, but then I wake up 2-4 hours later. So he puts me on 15mg and the same thing happens.

I start getting fed up with the "healthy" way of doing things by my doctor just trying different meds on me.
So I started back at it again mid august and my tolerance is worse than ever now. This is 100% from vaping. I vape so I can hide it better, but the vape cartridges are 50-90% THC. I would have preferred vaping straight flower from the beginning, but too much odor to hide. Before I started using MJ for sleep I never really smoked except for a handful of times here and there with friends. I dont feel like MJ negatively affects my daily life either, but the stigma my girlfriend and her family have for it has made our relationship sh*t. I dont want to throw away a 7 year relationship for a habit i picked up in the last couple years. She doesn't think I will ever quit and says she'll leave me if i dont.

I'm going to try weening off for a month and monitor how much i'm vaping at night maybe do a 5,4, 3, 2, 1 hit a night for 5 day intervals each. then do a hardcore detox the last week through the first few weeks of stopping and see if I can get different results.

You're not the odd man out. I made it 3+ months with the same issues until i caved and went back. Thats all while going to my doctor every few weeks asking for help with my sleep. I'm going to try again, but this time ween myself off for a month and take all the detox supplements I can find to try to flush any and all THC out of my system as fast as possible. Before weed I was taking 150mg of benadryl a night and turned to weed as a safer alternative after reading about what prolonged antihistamine use can do to you.

when i stoped smoking i cant sleep anymore or sometimes i be waking up like around 3 or 4 in the morning

This is a adrenal fatigue symptom too.. I've got this from herb ,stress and life.

Caffeine doesn't help .. cortisol levels rise at 3 and cause a wide awake issues..

If I smoke everyday and whenever I want I'll have hypoglycemia issues and possibly have a grand Mal at either low blood glucose levels or dropping to fast .. if I quit .. I'm fine for years at a time until I vape again then within month of smoking high thc low cbd CBN I'm lows city and shitty sleep