anonymous wrote:

i am seven weeks pregnant and all of the sudden i have these everynight i can not sleep through them they are misserable. they last about 5 hours or more and i don't want to go through this for nine months but i really want a healthy baby! so i don't want surgrey!

well according to my dr. getting pregnant with my daughter over 7 years ago was what caused my stones... aand then getting pregnant with my son about a year and a half ago caused more to form... ive been living with the pain for almost 8 years and jut now found out what it was. im waiting now for my insurance to kick in (4months from now) so that i can have surgery... the only thing ii can tell you is to avoid fatty foods, caffiene, foods with high acid content. pretty much anything boxed or packaged. yogurt and block cheese seem to be ok and some soups. mine attacks last 5 hour or more as well and its pain mixed with vomiting and sometimes runny stools. for your sake i hope it stops for the duration of your pregnancy, but as for me i cant wait for surgery... as long as the pain stops and the vomiting stops thats all i want but from what i understand there is the possiblity of a significant weight loss as well, so sign me up!

2 and a half hours? please. My SHORTEST attack has been four hours

teh only thing that even came close when i was having attatcks was intravenous paracetamol i cnat take morphine and any of those type drugs. so had to go to hospital each time as the i want to die pain was too great to bear at home and i have a very high pain threashold. but the best solution was to have it removed i can now eat what i like and no pain

I started with gallstones when I was about 3 months pregnant, my son is nearly four months old and I'm still having them weekly despite eating right etc. I found I can tell when an attack is about to start as I get a hard achey feeling that builds up pretty quickly in that area. When i feel this ache I get straight in the bath, have it as hot as you can stand it and lie on your back for a few minutes, then roll over and lie on your front (propped up on your elbows obviously) and keep turning for a while. I've started taking a supplement called "berberis" and its brilliant, I'm still having the attacks but nowhere near as often and nowhere near as sever (my attacks normally used to get to 9-10 on the pain scale and last in excess of 6 hours, the longest being 3 days) now, its a 3-4, and lasting an hour or two at the most. I drink apple juice every day anyway (always have) but I found cutting out pork and lamb and foods high in sugar, like chocolate, sweets etc has made a difference too.

I cant stress enough how much the hot bath helps, not only does it help with the gallbladder pain, it relaxes you, making you more able to cope with the pain in the first place, AND it gets rid of that awful back pain. (if you dont have a bath, a hot shower works the same, you just have to aim it between your shoulder blades, then turn round and aim it in the gallbladder area)

Hope this helps someone x

i think i was unlucky with mine as each time i had an attack i also got colyisistitus no idea how to spell the right name for infected gallbladder as well and once i nearly ended up in intensive care as the iv antibiotics didnt work . i never had jsut an attack of gallbladder pain on its own

I am just getting over an attack......haven't had one in 3-4 yrs., but it has reminded me to seriously get back on the daily glass of PEAR JUICE.......have slacked off the last year with this, and have suffered the result. This juice is reputed to prevent stones from forming, if taken regularly, and guess I had forgotten how intense the pain gets with an attack. Juice will not help with stones you already have ( ultra-sound showed I had multiple stones.) Previous to starting juice therapy, I had 1-2 attacks a year.
This latest attack was a little different.....had severe pain in upper LEFT back, just under shoulder-blade, felt like someone had slipped knife in between ribs, could not stand upright for more than couple of minutes without pain. Previous attacks were centered in upper abdomen, no pain in back, so does anyone have a guess why different?
I get my pear juice at health food store as it's pure juice, not concentrate, no added sweetener, so naturally costs more, and that was one reason why I let the DAILY glass slide, but if pear juice keeps me from having these horrible episodes, I'll get it if I have to take out a bank loan!

Ibuprophen worked amazingly. Went to see my Acupuncturist/Chinese Herbalist and got prescribed a supplement = Li Dan Pai Shi Wan. 4 pills 3 times a day for 4 weeks.  $10  a bottle, and he also says every client hes had go on these never had to have surgery, or to pass stones. Natural apple juice, and apples also help dissolve stones too. No oily fatty food, sour, spicy, and black tea. 

i had an attack that lasted 11 hours....it was complete torture.....i took two nyquils and 2 loratab 5's and was able to stop pain long enough to sleep....it was the worst day of my life!

can i just firstly say that if you all suffer the same attacks as me then i am soo sorry for you!! they are unbareable and with my last episode I had to go to hospital three times and in the end had to stay in for a few days with a drip and pain relief. I have now been maybe 4/5 months and i can feel it starting again!! im soo scared never in my life did i think i could actually survive pain like that ! i swear to god hand on heart i actually told my mum to kill me or i would killl myself. sounds funny now but gosh at the time!! iv got TRAMADOL which is amazing and has made my todays pain go but they will be gone in a few days so just though i should ask what to do?? i dont want to go to hospital obviastly so should i ring my doctor and say that i need more tramodol?? also so you all  no a hard backrub and a hot drink helps but not enough. also should i ask my doctor for an alternitive to sergery?? they told me i need avasive sergery but i dont want it and they didnt give me any other choices?? thank you all x

During a attack - massage the gallbladder area.  If you listen you will then hear the squelch sound of the gallbladder working.  This is a natural self help remedy and is better than medication.  I am not saying that this makes my attack last and less time but it certainly eases the intensity of the pain.

Trying to think through what you ate that may have caused the attack is useful.  I now know not to eat peanuts or beef as both trigger an attack for me. 

I also find a chillo or cold flannel help with the intense overheating during an attack.

:-)  good luck

i am 37 weeks pregnant and have had four attacks this week one lasting 14 hours. the baby loves kicking my gallbladder and it sucks this whole pregnancy i have prob had 20 attacks only once did i get a shot of pain reliver. now i take tynol 3 but it dosent really work. take a long hot shower then sit up staright with a heating pad

I had a series of attacks a year ago. I took pain meds and antispamodic drug every attack. On a bad night (at this point I was already jaundiced), I happened to be on a plane for a long trip to Cambodia. I took an antispamodic once every hour. When I landed, the pain was gone and never came back which is awesome. Who would want to be opened up in Cambodia? I have been in Madrid for one month now and have let myself slip in terms of diet. I also stopped exercising. So now I'm on my left side to ease the pain. :( Like many of you, I do not like the idea of surgery. I have two stones now and it seems one is passing. If I can get this out naturally, then I only have one more to go. Diet and exercise is still the best way. Valium and weed helped me with pain and sleep problems. But it's not nice being high and having to vomit at the same time.

I was having a severe attack , did the hot bath and it did help some but my wife had something called Kratom powder she mixed some up and WOW 20 minutes later I'm totally relaxed. Maybe somebody else can try this and report back.

Emerg (hospital) gave me perks (percocet) 1 or 2 of those I'd either fall asleep and wake up fine or go have a hot bath with it. Advil works in a pinch with heat if your desperate. If pain is brutal go to doctor or emerg asap. Not sure what you have? Get a billary exam! Be well:)

Hi,I have just stumbled over this site,and soglad I did.I am laying in bed after 4 hours of really bad pain,I cant take iburofen as it upsets my tummy,I have taken 2 paracetimols,and a diazipam,laying on my left side with hot water bottle,and the pain has eased,I have not known pain like it.I have been diagnosed with a thickened gall bladder,has anyone had or heard of this ?