Hello, folks. My husband was found a blood clot in the artery of his left leg. His doctor explained him how this could be dangerous and he suggested laser atherectomy. As far as I know, this is a new method. I would like to know whether anyone had to undergo this procedure.

Hello. As far as I know, Laser atherectomy is more used for treating occluded coronary arteries. This method is not fully accepted for treating peripheral arteries in extremities. However, some surgeons recommend this method. This method is especially recommended for patients that have risk for standard revascularization procedures. There are studies that show how almost 85% of lesions were successfully treated. This method is recommended for patients with high risk of limb ischemia. However, I think your husband should make more inquiry before making a final decision. I hope I’ve helped. Good luck!