I'm also starting back up with Dr B May 24. I've had great success with them. I lost 60 pounds 3 years ago and have kept off 40.

As for bread. I was told I can use the weight watchers whole wheat bread. One piece equals the two servings of "bread" per day. I ate a piece of bread each day and still lost the weight. I still use this bread for daily life.

I was wondering if there's any Dr B support groups or forums online?

HI there All
I have been searchng through all the forums and I wanted to know if anyone here has the Canadian approved Food lists. I am starting the diet on Monday with my mom, and would like to get a hold of them. I really cannot afford to go to the clinics this time around and I am having my dr. monitor me and do all relevant blood tests. I am absolutly not getting any shots just going to take the B vitamins.
Thanks

I have restarted the Bernstein diet in the last week. I joined this program several years ago when the cost was much more affordable. Over the last few years I have been under tremendous stress and most recently had to death with the death of both parents. I am 34 years old. I don't suffer from any eating disorder persay. I have simly lost track of monitoring my weight due to the stress I have been under. Since my last visit to Berstein about 4 years ago, I have gained about 15 pounds. I still managed to keep off the 40 extra pounds I was when I joined the diet.

I have only praise for this diet. Sure the first few days are difficult. The most irritating thing is trying to create different recipes and maintaining some enjoyment from food. I tend to get a bit bored of eating the same thing over and over again. This time I have managed to take more time to plan meals before stuffing something into my mouth.

I have tried several diets in the past only to fail. I need the disipline of the Bernstein Diet in order to continue to loose weight.

I feel so physically good when I am on this diet. I can honestly say that I feel almost euphoric at times. I suffer from terrible IBS and this diet has helped a great deal with the pain and bloat. I simply don't have any of those issues while on the diet.

A combination of burning fat on a constant basis as well as a healthy diet and vitamin suppliments gives me tremendous energy. I even sleep less. I usually don't like to exercise much but have found that I have the energy and desire to exercise. I see the weight loss on almost a daily basis as well. Each day is a new and lighter day for me. It is doing wonders for my emotional and physical state.

I would advise anyone who is serious about losing weight to join this diet. Even if you are plagued with health problems related to your excess weight, have no fear. I had a higher blood pressure and a slight increase in cholesteral when I joined. Those problems have vanished. I have seen first hand many people over coem type 2 diabetes when on this diet.

It definitely works. The cost is a bit high for most but as far as I am concerned you cannot put a price on being healthy and feeling great. We all only have one life to live. We may as well make it a life worth living.

I have heard stories about Dr. Bernstein being quite strict but I don't blame him. He has worked hard to create this diet. He wants people to be healthy and take a positive approach to weightloss and wellbeing. Trust me when I say this, he doesn't just boot people off the diet. In order to be removed you have to show a continuous pattern of cheating. They can tell if you've been following the diet each time you go for a visit. If you aren't buring fat (which they test urine for) and not losing weight then basically you aren't following the diet to a "T".

I have only ever been treated kindly and with respect. Even on days when I thought I wasn't losing fast enough, the staff always offered reassurance. My experence is only a good one.

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about this diet.

Excellent post. I couldn't agree with you more. I'm back on the diet now. I've lost 21 pounds to date and I feel great. I have tons of energy and I'm eating more protein, fruits and vegetables than I did when I was not on the diet. My sugar cravings are gone too. For me the diet is exactly what I needed. My private medical picks up some of the costs but even if it didn't I would pay for it on my own. This type of diet plan works really well for me.

You cannot do the strict Dr B diet on your own without the vitamins and injections. You will be eating around 600-800 calories a day. I would suggest you do weight watchers or at the very least the Dr B maintenance program diet. It's very similar to the Weight watchers plan with the focus on low glycemic foods. if you aren't on a supervisied diet I wouldn't suggest you go on a diet where you lose anymore than 2 pounds a week. You might be able to go to the clinic twice a week. That's what I do because of my work schedule.

I went to Bernstein. I think it was costing about $600/month. One of the nurses who was treating me was, no joke, about 380 lbs. I was eating 3 meals a day consisting of chicken breast, occasional steak, melba toasts with salsa and no fat cream cheese, a lot of greens and fruit. I figure my caloric intake was about 1200 calories. With quite a bit of success (I went from 320 to 209 in about 4 months.) but then they said I had to go to two meals a day, which I refused and left the program. I have kept most of the weight off for years now, fell off the wagon over the past year, put on 40 lbs., so I bought the Atkins Revolution, I am in ketosis with that, and it is MUCH less restrictive and healthier. And WAY cheaper. The B vitamin shots don't do anything but make you feel like you are being treated more 'medically'.

Yes, I too lost considerable hair on the diet. I had lost 47 pounds in about 4 months and that was when it started. I was very frightened. When I saw the Dr. she suggested I take more vitamins. I dropped out of the program and within a year gained all the weight back and more. My hair grew back in just as it was before the diet.

Having said all that I am now doing the diet on my own and the weight is falling off again. I fully expect to see hair loss but am confident it will grow back. I caution anyone about this diet that they need medical supervision as it is starvation level and you should be under a doctor's care. My GP is very supportive. Find someone (Dr.) who will monitor you if you attempt it on your own.

As for people being thrown out of the program I haven't known anyone personally but have heard numerous horror stories. One person had a mate who was suffering from cancer and no compassion was sent her way. If you go to the clinic don't expect any sympathy. You will lose weight however.

Although their site says you see the Dr. every 2 weeks I wasn't able to get in to see him/her more often than every 5 to 6 weeks.

I followed Dr Bernsteins diet 5 yrs ago with successful results. I have now gain the weight back, but that is because I have had two kids. THe diet works although it is very pricey.
My only concern is that when asked aboout the concentrate and dose for the injections they don't tell you, all they say is that is premix and it the secret. I called the Ontario Medical Association as well as College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario and they both told me to file a complaint. YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO KNOW that information and like the lady at the OMA said,you are talking about what goes into your body and not about KFC they can't use the "secret" excuse they have to tell you what is in the needle going into your body. So until they release that information to me I do not plan on atttending the clinic. SUre it really works but the point of following the diet is to get healthy, well I like to know what and how much exactly goes into my body. Imagine you have a medical scare and you are not even able to tell your own doctor what has been put into your body.

My sister has been doing the program for about a month and I called to get more information as I was also interested after seeing her success.
I found hte staff to be very rude and not helpful. I ended up calling head office to complain and I HAVE BEEN BANDED from the clinics!!!! Go figure! I was told that I was beligerent and they did not want to treat me. I was so furious at this point I kept wanting to speak to Dr. B himself or a higher up manager, but there was no getting through, even the customer service personelle hung up on me!!! After the abuse I endured what on earth would make me want to go to this clinic ?? They charge an arm and a leg for something that could be done at home and they treat you like c**p. Even my sister has complained about the treatment she recieves from staff, they are bulleys!
Even after talking to head office I found the staff to be very rude and arrogant and really indifferent. I have decided to go ahead and file a complaint with the better business bureau because I don't think anyone should endure such treatment. So if you are considering joining, be careful and be ready for some mal treatment!
They never disclose the amount of B6/B12 given, which is also WRONG. You are getting injected with some liquid which could be horse pee for all you know, but you don't get to see the bottle where the injection is drawn from nor do they tell you what you are getting! Wrong on so many levels!!!

As for the B6/B12 injections.. I have been doing some research. Both vitamins can be found at the pharmacy (in Canada anyway) behind the counter and they are given without perscription.
As far as the dosage goes, I have been doing some research on line and have found the majority to use 50mcg of each vitamin, usually 3 times a week.
Teh price to buy these vitamins B12 roughly $13 for 30 mL and B6 roughly $45 for 30 mL.
You do need to take potassium as B12 depletes your body of it and a multivitamin. You can ask your GP to monitor your blood work (which is covered by health coverage and FREE) and follow the diet yourself.
All this can be done on your own, without shelling out $300 for the initial consultation fee and then $600+ / month and get some attitude while you are at it!!
I am now doing the injections on my own, and my sister is joining me.
Bernstein needs a wake up call, his clinics are neither run as a proper business nor as a proper medical clinic, they are somewhere inbetween the the service is terrible!

Good luck everyone!!

this diet works, but as do all, if you actually follow them. i started at 157 and now am 130. however i did gain everythinig back and got severely depressed. the women or nurses as they call themselves are very mean and one of them was obese and i found that very ironic, why wouldnt see go on the diet herself? also after being on this diet as soon as i wanetd to eat bread or maybe a banana (a fruit that isnt allowed) i instantly gained weight, which kicked started my life into a huge eating disorder. i am 130 pounds again but dieting by myself, well i'm bulimic too, so i have so many problems from trying to lose weight which stemmed from my desire to do so when i started this awful diet. i hate the dr.b clinics, you lose because you starve. just limit your calorie intake a lot and you'd lose too, have a multi vitamin, the radio, the magazines, the advertisments for this stupid diet glorify this man, when in reality he is ruining the lives of many people. also if you aren't truly fat it's difficult to lose beyound your plateau and if you arent losing they tell you not to eat fruit and after that wtf is left to eat? melba toast and lean meat, oh what a meal!

Hi Hagi, Just wondering how you are doing with the injections on your own? Is it difficult to inject yourself? Are you injecting in your butt area or stomach like at the clinic? I'm thinking of restarting the program on my own because they told me I would have to pay for the initial fee AGAIN since it's been over a year... RIDICULOUS! I already have the materials, why would i need to go through their 'orientation' again! Anyway, just curious to see if the dosage of the B vitamins has worked for you. :)

I agree with you guys. Most of the nurses there are bitchy and unfriendly. They can pick on you with pretty much anything.

I am a returning patient. I lost 30 pounds last year and I gained back 36 pounds. Their injection is the only reason I came back to the clinic for...
If there is a way to purchase the B6 and B12 injection myself, i think i'll try that..

If you guys experience any kind of unprofessionalism from nurses(yelling, screaming, not explaining to you what you are suppose to know), feel free to call their association. They have Quality Assurance group who can give them hell. I am sure DR.B clinic is doing a lot of things that they are not suppose to. BBB is also the way to go. Or contact the Media. More people bring it to the public's attention, better. I went to CTV website and wrote complain.

Guest wrote:

I think dr b is in it for the money, I've been kicked out of the program because of my keytones were off twice. I ask for my money back around 600.00 and was refused. I ask them to call dr b to ask him to call me and he told them that he had nothing to say to me (what a coward). While I was there, they kept asking me to see my OHIP number, since this is not covered by OHIP why did they request it, is he charging us for these visits?

One of the reasons you could be experiencing hair loss is because of a lack of iron, since you rarely get to eat red meat.....a few years ago I randomly started to lose large amounts of hair so I went to see a specialist and he found out it was caused by a major iron deficiency, I started taking iron supplements and my hair stopped falling out in a couple of weeks

I have been to the Dr. B clinic in Vancouver on Georgia Street. I have found the staff to be helpful, professional friendly and encouraging. Reading these unfortunate experiences from others does not prevent me from my success in loosing weight. I have lost 50 lbs feel and look great. As far as the Vit Shots I am now on my own and taking my own B6 and B12 shots as was done at the clinic. I have asked my doctor to do blood work on me every 6 months. I have never been so happy. I truly am sorry to hear others are not happy - their loss, and by the sounds of it that is the only thing they are losing.