I was on the DR B diet for 7 months last year, i think it is a great program if you are focused and only have 60 lbs or less to lose. I had alot more than that to lose and now only have about 70 lbs 1/2 way there. i lost 120 lbs on the program and gained back about 30 over Christmas ( my own doing). The problem I had was that i am a very social person and with this diet you have to put your life on hold for the diet, no eating out, no BBQ's, no hanging out at the Lake etc because there are to many temptations, so if you only have 60 or less to lose that is only 3-4 months of your life, a little more manageable, but if you have 140 + to lose this seems like a lifetime. I am off the program right now because I can not make it into the clinic due to my work. I am trying to lose the weight and get back to where i left off and rejoin the program but if I lose and can stay focused on the diet I may not have to go back. just my 2 bits.

Thanx
DG

So if I could answer a question to these posts.. are you saying that I can take vitamin B6 and B12 myself and just eat correctly and be almost just as good as going and speanding $1100.00 for 8 weeks?

I too have experience the Rude and indifferent treatment of the Bernstein Staff. I complained about the treatment of the office manager who has the customer service skills of a gnat and was pulled into an office on my next visit, refused my shots and told to go somewhere else. The person talking was " the office manager" telling me that they talked to Bernstein who told them he did not tolorate patience abusing their staff.... WHAT? I was the one being abused.. I was promptly told that I could complain to whoever I wanted to, it would make no difference, they were all still in the office,, nothing would happened. When I asked to get a contact number for Bernstein, the office manager laughed and said he doesn't talk to "clients"... The folks that funds his lavish life style? So, took a chance in calling the main office, talked to the head of HR ( or so she said.. could have been the janitor) and was told that someone would contact me within 5-7 days.. Frankly, I'm going to the Press/BBB and try to find every blog I can to get this message out.. I really think that if Bernstein has a good thing going, its quite silly for him to risk it by having rude, arrogant and nasty staff members representing him.. He should want to know what his client are thinking.. if not his own arrogance will start to have an impact on his business... It happens all the time.. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress of lack there of in getting some satisfactory resolutions to this issue.

I am starting back on monday and I am nervous. I have been treated poorly at times and just felt to ashamed to come back in.
This time I am going back but I am afraid of how I will be treated. I transfered clinics in hopes that they would be nicer there.
When I went in to get a chart to log my foods the new clinic was not very nice... asking me rudely if I was "Actually" a patient there.
I feel so sad about the entire experience and Monday seems like I will be marching to my doom.

Any words of encouragement?

I am fully commited to this diet this time around, I just went through a nasty seperation and did not have much support. My co workers, family members and friends are all rooting for me.

I really do not want to let them or myself down.

~jen

I had a family member who did the Dr. B diet and it worked, so I took the food list, followed it, took sublingual 5000mcg b12 tablets orally (available at GNC or drugstore), and lost 30 lbs in six weeks. I haven't spent a dime on Dr. Bernstein and I haven't taken a single shot. Here's what I believe:

1. You have to learn about how the body works. If you haven't done the math for your body, you're not taking this seriously. Before you start Bernstein, calculate your BMI, RMR, sustainable caloric intake, and then grams of protein, carbs, and fat you can scientifically take in and lose weight. Tally up the Bernstein diet and quantify the caloric deficiency that is responsible for most of your weightloss on the plan. You will NEED this information to keep the weight off and continue healthy weight loss after 6-8 weeks. Dr. Bernsteins (and similar diets) are only a jump start. The best part about it is that you see success and that fuels your ambition.

Learn about ketosis. Be informed. Take the short cut, but don't expect your ultimately be a shortcut.

2. Take responsibility. Stop thinking like a fat person. If you don't, you'll always be a fat person - even when you're 30lbs lighter. Noone else is going to do this for you. You don't need "support" and "encouragement" from others - if you don't change, neither will your body. Fat people always think about what they have to sacrifice - about how "strict" diets are. Formerly fat people stop thinking this way.

You are fat because you have an "accumulated surplus" of excess calories (bad choices). It took time for you to get this way, and it's going to take time and change for you to "work off the surplus". On Bernstein's you're going to be burning fat that you collected 2 years ago.

3. No excuses. Tell it to the wall. Here's some things that are true, but are NOT excuses.

"Society places too much emphasis on food" - True, NOT AN EXCUSE.
"Restaurant portions are too large" - True, NOT AN EXCUSE.
"It's hard not to do what my friends do in social situations." - True, NOT AN EXCUSE.
"It's not fair. My friends can eat whatever they want and never gain weight." - True. Tragic perhaps. But life is full of shi*ty unfair things.. NOT AN EXCUSE!!!

4. Plan to build muscle. The only way to permanently increase your metabolism is to build more muscle mass in your body. So when you're done with Bernstein and taking in more protein and calories, you HAVE to transition to a muscle building exercise routine. You have to PROVE to yourself that your are adding muscle. Muscle burns fat. Wanna eat more? More muscles are the key! Cardio (running, walking, etc.) is good for your heart, but it is NOT going to permanently increase your metabolism.

Ever pound of muscle you add burns an additional 35-50 calories PER DAY. That's 12,775-18,250 calories per year. So, an extra 10 pounds of muscle will burn approximately 350 to 500 calories a day, or an extra pound of fat every 7 to 10 days, without making any other changes.

If you're thinking "but that's too hard", "I don't have the time" then I'm sorry but you're not ready for this. You're still thinking like a fat person, making excuses.

IF I SEEM INSENSITIVE, IT'S BECAUSE I AM. And that's part of my message to you. I realize that noone else cares if I'M fat. I'm the only one who really cares. I'm the only one you it really effects. I'm the ONLY one with the power to change it. And I am committed to being TRUTHFUL with myself.

Disclaimer: Don't be stupid. Take your Vitamins. Take Potassium. Don't make things up own you're own. Don't plan to spend 16 weeks on strict Dr. B. If you don't look out for your health first, then you get what you deserve. If you end of with health problems, it's your fault, not someone elses.

I found the same thing...I lost about 40 lbs and my hair started falling out a month or so after I went off the diet. Its been about 3 1/2 months now and still falling out but not as bad. No bald spots or anything, and if i could go back in time, id definitely do it all over again. 40 lbs was a lot to lose in such a short time and definitely worth it....

quark wrote:

amy99 wrote:

My mother is an obese woman and has tried a lot of the popular diets over the years and none of them worked then she found out about Dr.Bernsteins clinics. She weighed 400 pounds when she started about two years ago and has now lost 150 pounds and is a new woman. She gained some weight at Christmas this year and had to sign a contract that she would lose 2 pounds a week. She is now able to travel and that is what she did when she went to Mexico last week. She gained about ten pounds while she was away (as you do at an all inclusive resort) and when she returned to the clinic only to promptly get KICKED OUT by Dr.Bernstein himself because of the weight gain. She is devastated, and I am afraid for her future. She has paid ALOT of money over two years and had been very successful up to now. I just don’t understand how they could do this to my mom, it seems as though he cares more about his reputation then he does about the people in his program. This program DOES work but if this is the way they treat their patients I would not recommend it to anyone.
If anyone has had similar experiences with Dr. B or knows someone who has I would love to hear about them …I doubt my moms the only one … she is a kind good hearted person and any support would be appreciated
Thank you

My husband lost 100lbs with Berstein ( the majority of it in 3 months) They are very strict and if your Mother was not keeping up to her end of the bargain they don't want to waste her time or theres, they set a goal for you and want you to succeed, but are not there to babysit you. So you Mother needs to get serious about losing the weight. If she cooks from the Berstein Cook Book and drinks lots of water she will still lose weight without going to the Clinic. She can get the Vitamin B shots at a Natural Path Clinic. (Quite a few clinics give them)

I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. Dr. Bernsteins is a business. They may have a real dr on staff and real nurses so that they're qualified to give needles and take blood but it doesn't give them the right to have a God complex and treat people with such disrespect. Just because her Mom went on vacation and gained some weight back doesn't mean she's not serious about losing weight and getting healthy. She's allowed to reward herself any way she chooses if she's worked hard to loose a lot of weight. SHE'S paying for the services so if she decides to not go one week and not pay and then work hard to catch up from rewarding herself that's her choice. Dr. Bernstein's people SHOULD be there to encourage, support, motivate, monitor, advise, and provide a service. Not criticise, punish or repremand you as if you're a child. I've been on bernstein's twice after having each of my 2 children and it works but I DO NOT appreciate the way the people there speak to you as if you're a child. You're spending hundreds of dollars ... they need to show their clients a little respect and support! I'm not referring to a babysitter, no one is asking for that, simply respect and simple support. I really don't know who they think they are, seriously!

As to the woman who was losing hair, I too am losing hair rapidly! I was on the program and lost 30lbs. I've been off the program for just over 2 months now and I feel like the hair loss is getting worse. It's not coming out in clumps but all over by the handfull every day. I've gone to the dr's and have had a blood work up done and I'm now waiting for the results but I find it interesting that so many others have had this same problem. I did not have this problem the first time I was on the diet. If anyone can offer advice I would appreciate it. I'm eating a good amount of everything in all food groups, still drinking water (about 1/3 what you do when you're on bernsteins) and taking iron as I've always been low, vit D, vit C & omega 3.

The staff would routinely close the clinic 10 minutes early before a long weekend. Twice they refused treatment because I was "late", at least ten minutes before closing where the average visit took less than five minutes and $60. When I complained I was banned! The staff have taken the level of power and control to a dysfunctional level. Dr. B was not interested in my treatment, there are plenty of other fat people out there to take their money and that is just how I felt.

From reading your above post, it seems to me that you can't be trying to hard to lose the weight. It sounds like your a "repeat" dieter. I think it's good that De. Bernstein doesn't welcome people back with open arms saying Great To See You Again! They want you to be successful! And having to go back repeatedly definitely means you're not being successful with your dieting. It sounds really unhealthy to me when you say "When I failed, I was always, ALWAYS, welcomed back with open arms of encouragment. I was never penalized, I was even allowed to use my old tickets. Not to mention that it is 1/4 of the price of the Bernstein Diet! " Being healthy means getting to a healthy weight and then STAYING there - not going back and forth back and forth. That's not good for your body or heart.

Hi ,

I also got kicked out of this program a week ago and I am really angry becuase I also spent a lot of money and now they just get rid of me just like that... not fair at all.... it looks like once they take certain amount of money from ppl they just kicked them out then.......good luck to your mom and all of us who are battling with obesity.

I was on the program for 2 months and lost 40 lbs. I had severe hair lost at the temples and all through the top. It's been 3 months and I have not gained any of the weight back, I'm a lot more active and still eat properly, however my hair has not grown back. I've just started Rogaine and will let you know.

I also went on holiday and returned plus a few pounds but was welcomed back without any negativity at all… So sorry this happened to your mom. Seems very contrary to their philoshophy…

yes, i have lost a lot of hair! I had alway had thick hair and went on Bernstein. I lost 40 pounds, 3 years ago. I told the nurse my hair is falling out, she said it had nothing to do with the diet. I stopped the diet and after about 4 months gained some weight back and my hair stopped falling out. I just started Bernstein again one month ago, and my hair is falling out again. I have stopped this diet.

I have been on and off the Bernstein for 3 years. it works.But yes the nurses are rude and if you go away and come back gaining weight! they make you feel like sh*t! I went away for mothers day and was able to make good choices during my three days away. I did lose 1pound and when the nurse was checking my urine for fat burning she did say anything. so i said well am i still burning, she said nope and i said well i still did pretty good. The nurse then said well i could be better! no at all their philosophy.

well not sure if you've ever been on the Bernie. But i am not an overweight person. write back your comments after you've been on it for awhile. I go every year for 10 pounds to take off, it works and i go to the gym. if its working for you so well why did you mention you were always welcomed back and could use your old tickets! why would you need to use them if you were being successful.