Congratulations on your mother's weight loss. However her fluctuating weights tells me that she has not learned about proper nutrition. Going in to Dr B for a quick fix is not the answer. She needs to have someone (nutritionist) plan out a weekly menu for her.

BTW ... Bernstein is not a very nice person. Sorry to hear that she was treated poorly.

I've lost more than 100 pounds on Bernstein twice and gained it back twice. WHY ? Because I couldn't lose the last 15 pounds that I wanted to. I was at the end of the weight loss journey and over 2 months I only lost a total of 6 pounds. Bernstein reviewed my charts ( I didn't speak with him) and came to the conclusion I was binge eating ? WHAT ? I was consistently burning ketones, I went 3 times a week, I didn't stray from the diet and he just decides from my chart that I'm bingeing and still burning ? So I was told that if I didn't lose 10 pounds over the next 4 weeks I was out. No maintenance, no nothing, I was out of the program. And they kicked me out. After 6 months, thousands of dollars and a 102 pound weight loss, they showed me the door with no maintenance. 3 years , and a round of medication later, I managed to put it all back on.

It was so hard to walk back in to the clinic and practically beg them to let me restart the program. I had to be re-approved by " god Bernstein" himself to see if he would let me back in. I get to restart the program. I'm paranoid about getting booted out again for not doing anything wrong. I have to travel a lot for work and I'd actually go without eating for 2 days ( just a single protein bar) because I didn't want to come back from travel and be up any weight and get kicked out again.

I lived in constant fear for the next 6 months of getting tossed out again. I lost 106 pounds, and had 16 more to go to get to my goal and I stalled for 6 weeks. The nurses were worried I'd get kicked out again and told me to go on maintenance right away. Apparently you can go on maintenance when you are within about 15 pounds of your goal. They lower the shots to 1 a week and give you some of your foods back, but told me I could stick to the main diet if I'd like and still lose the extra pounds. I fluctuated with up and down a couple of pounds on maintenance but I couldn't seem to lose the last 15. The nurses were reassuring that I would eventually lose it and admitted that some people have a hard time with the final 20 pounds.

I was going on vacation and they said that since I wasn't getting all the shots from them that I should go on full maintenance while I was away, not the restricted diet. I stuck to the maintenance plan, and returned from my diet up 6 pounds. We were all pretty sure it was water weight because I got off the plane and came straight to their office. Maintenance you only have to attend Tuesdays and Thursdays. When I went back on Thursday, I was down 4 of the 6 pounds I put on, so it was obviously water. HOWEVER the nurses regretfully informed me that because I had gained more than 5 pounds on maintenance that I would have go back on the strict diet and if I didn't lose 2 pounds per week that I would be out of the program - no maintenance, no nothing... OUT.

3 weeks later, I was down only 4.5 pounds ( and the nurses actually fudged my numbers to keep me from getting kicked out ) However eventually one crabby nurse realized I hadn't lost and I was kicked out again. After losing more than 100 pounds the second time I was denied maintenance. One nurse who was the same nurse that didn't agree with how I was treated the first time, actually called and made a case for me to get back into the maintenance program. It took 2 weeks ( and she admitted put her job at risk - because they are NEVER to question Dr. B ) and she called me to tell me I could come back.

I was already devastated. I was embarrassed and ashamed. At the end of my journey not once, but twice they kicked my butt to the curb simply because I was outside of the norm and struggled at the end. He treated me like some sort for criminal instead of one of the success stories that I was.

I never went back for maintenance. I just couldn't go back and live in the fear I had been in for months.

The program works if you stick to it, but treating people that are truly trying like they are somehow cheating the system and then throwing them out after making untrue assumptions is NOT the way to treat people that want to keep their weight off forever.

Did you get the good list? I would like to get the Alberta one as they won't let me get it anymore as I have not been a patient for a few years. I can do it on my own injections and all. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

trouble is you lose muscle.....sure any diet cutting out carbs and sugar will help you lose weight..its the long process of eating healthy and 5 times a day instead of 2. Too expensive... a rip off

I was on the Bernstein diet and lost lots of weight and lots of hair. That was several years ago and my hair has never grown back nor recovered. They told me to take Omega 3 vitamins which I did but it did not help. My own doctor, when told of the calorie intake on this diet, was appalled. 800 calories per day is not healthy. You are not getting enough nutrients from that many calories and it ruins your metabolism. You will gain the weight back as soon as you start eating normally again. I am NOT talking about poor eating habits just normal calories as your body is in starvation mode and will want to grab all those calories and hang onto them fearing that you will starve again. Concentration camp victims were fed 800 calories per day to keep them barely alive and able to do some work. There is a correlation there- they were starving and that is what this diet is doing to its users. Eat a proper, well- balanced, calorie controlled diet, get some exercise, drink plenty of water, keep track of what you are doing. There are on-line, free tracking programs like My Fitness Pal to help you and keep you "honest". Most of all, don't beat yourself up for when you slip. Pat yourself on the back for trying and not giving up and for getting back on the right path every time you have a good eating day.

Hello.

What happne with the better business beaureau?

I too have been on the program multiple times. I have signed commitment papers multiple times. Then I saw dr b himself for one of my medical appointments ans he started to follow me. I have been kicked off. After a year they wipe your slate clean. Unfortunately dr b is not a lifestyle. It’s ok to help take some weight off but I need to something more permanent. Hoping for suggestions