I have read several of the other posts and I too have noticed more and more that I just all the sudden begin to feel bruised. It spreads throughout my body but there isnt a mark on me. At first my upper chest and arms seem sore. But I get even more sore as it spreads. Today is the worst. From my hips up, it hurts to touch me anywhere. I feel like every part of me is severely bruised. I do drunk some, but not a lot. Usually a drink before bed a few times a week at most. I don't go out and get drunk. Could what I am drinking be the problem? If thats the case at least that is something I can control. I was worried it was a warning sign of something wrong???

I`m so relieved to have found this site, no-one seems to know what i`m talking about when i mention it!! I too experience this & with hindsight I think I have done to a lesser degree for about 10 years, however it`s definately got worse the last 18months, happens now even after just a couple of drinks, definately worse after wine (maybe due to higher alcohol content?), I feel fine on getting up, the soreness/bruised feeling starts late afternoon gradually getting worse through the evening until it feels really tender to touch my abdomen, chest & back, from my hips up to the back of my neck, it takes a good couple of days to settle & after a big night out I can feel terrible for several days. I have had my bloods done recently for something else & all is inorder. I have reduced my alchol intake significantly and am on the verge of opting for abstinence (regrettably as I like a drink!) but it really can`t be good for you to have this can it?! It does feel like your organs & skin is inflamed...

I'm getting the same feeling. I have only just started drinking this year, and every time I wake up after drinking my legs ache and the backs of my legs feel bruised, but there are no bruises. I've searched google for an answer and it has something to do with thinning of the blood, or low iron in the blood. Inflamed blood vessels would definitely explain the feeling of bruising without bruises.

I am thankful for finding this thread and hearing that I am not the only one going through this. My husband thinks its all in my head but I need to show him this

I think this has been the most useful and ONLY information I have found on the web about this. It's really been worrying me because every time I drink for the past couple of months I'd wake up with a huge pain on the left side of my head-like a bad bruise. First time I thought oh maybe I bumped it by mistake when drunk and didn't pay attention. But now it's every time.

The only thing I have changed about my drinking habits are that I now drink beer.

It would be great to know if someone knows what this is?!? The bruising doesn't go away for days after!

wow - i have been wondering what this is too. i am actually relieved to find a link with people in similar situations. i am a 24 year old female and i would say i drink more than the average person. however, i never experienced this until the past year or so. after a night of hard drinking (not if i just have 1 or 2) about 15 hours later - typically the next afternoon, i get horrible body aches - almost too painful to walk.
the last reply has really scared me & opened my eyes. still going to see professional advice, but glad to have seen this. thanks!

Hi All !

just wanted to share that FINALLY I think I found a way to get rid of that horrible pain !!!

at least it seems to work for me.. right when I wake up, I take a medicine called "aspegic".. I think it only contains aspirin..

haven't noticed any bad side effects in doing that.. All I know, is that I don't get that whole body pain if I drink a bit more than normale ;-)

Hope it helps others !!

Cheers.

I am so thankful i have found these posts, for years i have been getting this feeling after drinking. i know no one else that does. i don't really drink too much now but even just getting a little merry gives me the bruised feeling and it often gets worse 2 days after drinking!

I drank too much last night while out with a male friend (I'm 23/f, Caucasian). This morning I have severe pain in my breast and arm regions and my whole body feels pretty terrible, like I got beat up. The pain is exactly like what was described, like a bruising pain without the bruise. There is also a bruised sensation around my vagina, that feels like when I lost my virginity. I've had this achy muscle sensation in my torso before, but so mild that it felt like it was a normal part of a hangover.

I am pretty certain I had sex last night but there are parts I don't remember. I may have instigated it for all I know, I tend to be more flirtatious when I drink. I remember eating a cheeseburger right before being dropped off at home (3am) and having a fun time. So it seems impossible that anything was slipped in my drink, or if we had sex that it was violent or forced. (The location of the pain makes it feels like I was held down with a lot of pressure).

I can't get pregnant because I have an IUD, and I intend on getting checked for STDs immediately and again after 3 months, but I'm really not even sure if I had sex. Has anyone had this pain in their genital region before without having sex?

I don't think my friend realized how drunk I was since I probably had 4-5 beers. I'm 110lbs and get drunk really easily, especially when I haven't eaten before like last night. Sometimes I can drink 6 drinks throughout the night without feeling too drunk, other times I am blackout drunk after 3 drinks. I remember being in a strip club and a stripper was flirting with me and I was flirting back. I don't remember how long we stayed or leaving the place, or how much time had past in between that event and getting food.

I want to call my friend and ask what happened or if we had sex or not but it feels really embarrassing. If he knows I don't remember it would be easy to lie about. There is no other evidence of sex but he most likely would have used protection.

Ladies, drink slowly, have a drink of water in between each drink, don't drink on an empty stomach, and don't drink alone with a guy if you would regret things getting out of hand. Women are affected by alcohol much more intensely than guys, just because he is getting another drink doesn't mean you should! I feel like c**p, hopefully someone else learns from my mistakes.

My pain is on my forearms, wrists, and elbow. It is very strange. At times it also hurts my knees. (only the day after drinking...beer)

So good to find this site. As of 2 years ago, I started to deal with the feeling of poison going thru my arms when I'd take a sip of alcohol, so I no longer drink. Doctors and alternative practitioners have just shrugged their shoulders. I'm at a loss for how to explain to people that I don't drink. What to do, besides not drinking? Once in a while, I wouldn't mind a glass of wine or beer.

I'm 25 and I've only found I have this problem in the last two years, its so annoying that some people can go out and feel fine! If I go out on a saturday night I'll sleep very roughly that night and then the next day my hangover gets worse as the day goes on rather than better, it finally hits a peak that evening when I usually feel like I've been kicked all over and so weak that I can hardly move, I normally have a terrible nights sleep on the sunday evening where I keep jumping awake and feeling so weak that I can hardly breathe! Is there any alcohol that doesn't do this? I'm so gutted as I've always been a party girl, its part of who I am!

Just want to add that I drink red wine and the next day when I wake up my feet hurt, it hurts to walk at first and feels like someone beat them with a bat. I'm glad I am not the only one mentioning this. It is a concern.

I nearly cried when I found this today!!! After over a decade of experiencing this bruised body syndrome (BBS for shorthand!), finally to know there are other people going through this is such a relief. Like others have said, I thought I was on my own with this as no-one I've ever spoken to has known what I'm on about.

I'm 40, caucasian, female, and called Debbie, not Guest! I have a wobbly thyroid (it goes a bit overactive from time to time), but i've been experiencing BBS waaay before I had a thyroid problem.

I find that if I drink lots (of anything alcoholic) then the problem is more extensive. It always starts on my sternum/collarbone/neck, and extends down my arms and torso. How much of my body is affected is determined by how much I drink, I'm pretty sure. I shall pay more attention to the effects of drinking water - I do this usually after a session on the booze, but I'll keep an eye on ratios. I

find that as a 'cure', sleep, cocodomol and (very occasionally) hair of the dog work - but then that's the same for any hangover!!

I do vomit after mixing drinks sometimes - is this an example of my body's lack of tolerance, or just classic 'grape and grain' problems?

I'm a wee bit concerned about the whole alcohol myopathy thing though; not sure how to investigate further...will be coming back to this site...is it worth setting up a group/site so that we can kep pooling experiences/ideas/suggestions etc??

?

It is nice to hear that I am not the only one. About 3 years ago, I have noticed the bruising sensation after drinking any amount of alcohol and I have yet to find the answer. My sensation is throughout my torso and upper arms and lasts for about 1 and a half days after drinking any alcoholic beverage. I am not really worried but curious. I have talked to both my family doctor and my neurologist and neither have heard of such symptoms. My friends seem to think it must be some strange allergic reaction. I would love any detailed information of what is actually happening... Thanks :-)