It sounds very much to me like you do have an allergy and I think what you'd be best off going to an allergist. I don't think either your doctor ory our neurologist would be familiar with something like that. Have you considered doing that?

I have had the same problem for years. Getting worse. I asked many doctors: endocrinologist, allergist, primary, gastroenterologist, vascular specialist. All looked at me like I was crazy!
It is such a relief to know there are others. How can these doctors not have an answer!?
Let's keep researching and if anyone gets an answer, please post it.
Thanks

i havent tested this theory out yet but my friend that used to drive ambulances for a living told me that if you've been drinking you can prevent 9 out of 10 hangovers by eating a banana or popping a potassium pill. she told me it would help prevent the aches as well.

I really hope that banana thing will work, as I love bananas! :-D
It's good to see that I'm not alone in this, as this is the only place I've found information on it. (Like a lot of you said.) Mine usually starts in my legs, my left hamstring feels like it's been stamped all over. As this day has progressed, it's moved to my abs, back, chest, arms, every where but my neck..It really hurts to laugh, and take deep breathes, and I'm finding it very hard to even walk. I'm all wobbley and can barely hold my self up from the pain. :-( 24, soon to be 25, Male, caucasian.

wow, yeah that helped alot.
That explains everything.
But its quite unfortunate ... im 19 and it was my first time drinking and had this bizzar reaction.
Its been going on all night... i defiantly wont be drinking again... this just sucks.

I am so glad I am not the only one, I mentioned this to my boyfriend today and he said I'm oversensitive. I just turned 21 last week, and the day after my birthday (which was a lot of drinking) and last night, (2 long island iced teas and vodka shot) I am feeling the bruised feeling along the back of my neck, throat, shoulders, stomach and on my back especially by my kidneys. I have been drunk before without noticing this pain the next day. Today I haven't had any other hangover symptoms. My symptoms seem to match others, with the pain starting in afternoon and progressing through the night. The first time it lasted 2 days, I guess I'll find out tomorrow how long this one lasts. I'll have to try the banana/potassium trick.

I Am 26 years old I have been having pain after drinking for more then a year now and never thought much about it until recently, I always drank ALOT when i drank and figured maybe it was just being tired and hungover. But now i dont drink often and when i do its only 1 or 2 beer. And Still the same pain. No one has been able to tell me what is causing this pain. I talked with my doctor more about it today and he plans to look into it further, I will let you know his thoughts. i know its very discouraging when you cant get any answers.

I did a google and I found this! I wonder this bruising pain is mostly related to beer or all alcohol? I've been drinking for over ten years. I drink once every few months (way less than I used to). This is the second time in a row that my body aches and feels bruised. My boyfriend hugged me yesterday and it hurt so bad!

I wonder if it's caussed more by beer because I have been drinking beer more than liquor. Everything hurts and is tender. Even when I sit down I notice it in my butt! Let me know if anyone has found any medical advice on it! I see a bunch of us have this issue, so I'm glad I'm not alone!

I was so relieved to read all these posts. I drank quite a bit last night and when I woke up this morning my right gluteal (buttocks) hurt so bad I thought I had fallen and didn't remember. The body aches have continued into this evening so bad that I feel like I have been in a car accident! Absolutely everything hurts! My back, neck, triceps, my fingers even. I have experienced this quite a few times the day after I drink a lot of alcohol, but am becoming increasingly concerned about it.

I'm 22 years old and i've been having this problem for years. I've never actually bothered to research it and find out why but after going out on saturday night, the bruising feeling was so severe on every part of my body, the back of my neck, my chest, collarbone,my face even. No one i know has ever experienced this feeling and just thinks i'm being dramatic over a hangover but thats not the case. I'm starting to get worried about it because it doesn't seem normal. It literally feels like i had been in a car accident or been beat up but with no visable bruises.

I too am glad to have found this page. I am 25 female, half indian, half english. I have tried to research this before and never found much. My friends never know what I'm on about but find it strange that when they tap me friendily the next day after drinking and I am saying 'Ouch!' the same if someone hugs me, just feeling sore and tender. If I have been out drinking, usually too much but sometimes also if I don't drink too much, I only drink at the weekend, i get the same bruised feeling all over my body, mainly my thighs, hips, neck shoulders and in my face. Looking on the internet I can't find much so it can't be that common, the closest thing I've found is the alcoholic myopathy, which seems slightly worrying if we are damaging our muscle tissue as can lead to further problems with liver and kidneys. If anyone has anymore information please let me know. I am going to go to the doctors in the next few weeks, I have been having this for the last couple of years and have never gone to the doctors as I figured he would just tell me to drink less, but now I would like to find out if I am causing myself serious damage by drinking. I will let you know if i found anything out. It just seems odd that noone else (except the few people on this thread) seem to know anything about it. It seems to be getting worse, the other day I couldn't move in bed as I was so sore. I don't really get hangovers, just tiredness and this wierd sore thing.

Thanks so much. I read all of these posts and nobody actually shed light on what happens to me the next day after drinking. I too do not drink often, but when I do the next day my legs and arms ache terribly. Not like I am dying, but it feels sooo uncomfortable. I am female of mixed descent (Latin and African American) and I am 21 years of age. I hope this does not happen forever because I may need to just not drink at all with this feeling.

Are you drinking beer?
Oddly enough, this could be a wheat or gluten intolerance or allergy to gluten.
My sister gets horrible stomach aches when she consumes gluten (which is in a LOT of things), and feels horribly bruised when she wakes up after a night of drinking.
Gluten intolerance runs in our family, so maybe check this out, or think about trying gluten-free beer?
Good luck!

For most of you this is a result of muscle breakdown secondary to increased lactic acid production in your body. You may be in something called rhabdo. When you drink, make sure you eat plenty and drink lots of sugary drinks to prevent this.

I've been drinking quite heavily for the past 5 yrs and have been noticing horrific under-the-skin burning sensations on the hip and pelvic girdle as well thighs (near above the kneecaps) and back. After a few days spent on researching I found this - Its alcoholic myopathy :-(

A form of a slow degeneration of the muscle tissue in the body due to the alcohol consumption. I was very disappointed when I found this out as its been hard over the past years to abstain from alcohol.

Here's a link to more details about it -

Here's another link to a possible treatment -

I plan to do the muscle biopsy as suggested as I did the liver test and they couldn't find a damn thing abnormal.

Hope this helps.