I am glad to find out my daughter is not the only person that suffers with this.  I notice when she was about 3 years old she was getting dizzy spells.  Took her to the doctors and they could not figure it out.  She gets these dizzy spells every 3 months and they last from 1 to 2 weeks and the don't return until 3 months later.  She gets extremely dizzy when she is walking, standing or any physical activity when she is going through these dizzy spell.  It gets worse if she pushes herself to much. She gets sensitive to light and gets sick to her stomah when she is going through her dizzy spell.  They referred her to a neurologist and they said she had a migraine and put her on some medicines which they do help her but she still can not do any major activities or walk at a fast pace.  I really don't think it is a migraines because she does not get headaches she gets really dizzy, sensitive to light and sick to her stomach.  Well she got a new neurologist and she said no she does not have migraines and she had an MRI done and they found a cyst in the brain but neurosergeon said he does not think it is the cause of her dizzy spells.  He suggested to go to the ear, nose and throat doctor that it may be an inner ear problem.  He also wants another MRI done to watch the flow of the fluid from brain to the spine.  So here we are on the hunt again.  My daughter is 13 years old and still no answers.  I just worry about when she gets older.  (Job situtation)

Hi: If you read carefully through this thread you will notice there are those that get a headacje and dizziness and there are rthose that get only dizzy.
I have both cases at home. Have you ever gone into tha MAV site?

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

What medicines did you try? I am curious what works and what doesn't. Right now my daughter is taking 200mg B2 everyday and prothiazine during the attack. This has reduced the level of the attack but did not prevent it.

When she is going through a dizzy spell she takes cyproheptadine 4 mg (2 at bedtime), butalbitalAcetaminophenCaff Tabs (breakfast, lunch and at bedtime) and Ibuprofen 400 mg (breakfast, lunch and bedtime). These has helped her a lot. She still has the problems but she can do everyday task just at a slower pace. Before the medicines she could not function at all during these dizzy spells.
No I have not checked that site out but I will.

Hi: I see that in both cases an anti-histamine was prescribed. Doese it make her sleepy? My daughter takes 400 mg of ibuprofen also as needed according to her headache. (usually twice - morning and noon)
The B2 made a diffrence. But she still mostly stays in bed, though before she needed help to get around the house and now she manages on her own. What about school? Have you gotten to a point she can manage school? The B2 helped my son (he only has the dizziness) and he actually went to school the second day. Though he felt lousy. But before the B2 he stayed home at least 5 days.
The y have been taking B2 only for 4 months (2 attacks - my daugter, my son soon to get one) so time will tell if
the improvement is real. We have another apointment with the neurologist in september.

Oh yeah it sure does make here sleepy but it is worth it that she can function better with everyday tasks.  As far as school a lot of her friends help her out if she starts to get dizzy.  I have been able to have the teachers understand that she can not walk at a fast pace during the dizzy spells. She has no problems when she is sitting she looks and acts like a normal kid.  She has no signs when she is sitting.  Also her dizzy spells is like a roller coaster in one day.  Most of the time she is extremely dizzy in the morning and then later she will be ok and then later bad again.  Also in the 1-2 weeks her dizzy spells are different from day to day.  She may have a really bad day then the next day she is ok and then the next really bad.  I finally gave it a scale 1 to 5 (1 being not so bad 5 being really bad). The problem is when she has to go from one class to another or PE.  How often do they take the vitamin B2?  I will give that a try.

Wow! This sounds so similar to what my daughter goes through. We too tried the one-to-five scale. How old is your daughter? We calendar her dizziness and know when to expect it (about every 90 days). It does not seem to be getting better with age. She is 19 now - the spells have been going on since she was a baby. She has taken Elavil in the past and lately she has been taking depakote (which, I do believe makes the spell less intense but may also make it last longer - we are not sure). I saw another post about Elavil and am thinking we should give it another try. Any thoughts?

She is 13 years old but I notice her dizzy problems around 3 years of age.  Yeah the medicines do seem like they make the dizzy spells last longer.  Before she started any medicines she use to get the dizzy spell for about 5 days no longer than a week.  Once she got on the medicines her dizzy spells last almost 2 weeks some times a little less.  She gets these dizzy spells every 3 months.  The problem we have all the doctors want to say her head hurts.  We have to constantly tell them no.  She does not have any headaches it is mainly extreme dizzy, nausea and sensitive light. My biggest question is why it is every 3 months for around two weeks.  She has no signs after the dizzy spell.  What is weird she can tell a few days before a dizzy spell is about to start.   I just don't understand and it makes no sense.

Hi: Both kids take 100 mg b2 in the morning with food and another 100mg with food in the evenings. My son doen't have the headache part, and the attacks last about 5 days. He isn't taking any other medication. When my daughter was a baby she had BPT which is a cyclic head tilt. it started when she was 3 months old and lasted till ahe was 3 yrs old. Her head would tilt to one side then straighten out then tilt to the other side. Then for a while nothing and then a tilt again. So there are cycles going on in our brain which neurologists don't know much about. And I have concluded dizziness is a situation wich they don't treat extremely well either. In the long run it's trial and error
and collecting information from others.

We have been doing the alternate route for w year now and although our son who is nearly 14 still has the attacks their severity is GREATLY reduced. No vomiting for the last 9 months! He has milk thistle drops in the morning and evening as well as liver treatments. The vertigo is still really bad and affects him badly but compared to days in hospital and weeks off school we can definitely see results. Lots of love to all. This kind of support is priceless!

My daughter says she has a baseline dizziness that she lives with all the time. It is her "normal." She didn't tell me that until she was around sixteen years old. Her attacks started at birth (looking back, she had regular vomitting episodes but we had no way to know she was dizzy until we saw her holding a wall while walking at about five. Her dizziness episodes are completely predictable; every 85-90 days. She just finished an episode so the next one will be the end of September. My daughter can also tell when her dizziness is coming. She definitely feels it for a good few days. We call it her dizzy warnings.

I feel like I am finally understanding my son. At 3 he fell to the ground screaming in pain and then started throwing up. After a year of tests the pediatrician diagnosed him with migraines. They were coming every 8 weeks lasting 5 days at a time. This year (he is now 8 ) they are still coming every 8 weeks but lasting 16 days. I finally got him to explain how he is feeling and he said just dizzy all the time. I knew something wasn't right with the migraine diagnosis as he doesn't present with typical migraine symptoms. As long as he is sitting or laying still he is ok. Sunlight is still a bother for him though. Have just been the drs with him again and sending him for yet another round of blood tests. And EEG in 2 weeks and a new ped in a month I would love to be able to talk to someone who has found a treatment of some sort to help him get on with life.

I know that would be great. For ten years now the doctors look at like her like there is nothing wrong because she is ok when she is sitting. I would love to take a doctor outside with us and actually really see what happens to her when she is outside going through one of these dizzy spell. I can't believe there is this many cases and they have not seen that something is wrong.

The hardest thing is these drs are seeing a perfectly well child. (unless it's a particularly bad one). So grateful now we fought the drs and didn't put him on the migraine drugs they wanted him on. And while I understand it may not be this it certainly isn't migraines.

Other symptoms we have is that a week or so before he becomes verbally aggressive and his finger nails grow at a ridiculous rate. Other then that he is a perfectly normal healthy child. Oh and he has very low iron which drs tried to treat but the medications did nothing so they said to leave it as he wasn't Anemic

Hi: As you might notice migrain is not always headaches. There are different profilactic medications for migrain. Some will benifit from them and some won't. Whether to try a medication or not depends on how much of the routine is messed up by these attacks.Dizziness is treated (as far as i understand) by the same drugs as migrain (unless you find a different cause for the dizziness) If no other problem is diagnosed they dub it Migrain associated vertigo (which in my opinion means "I don't realy know how this is caused or how better to treat it")
Look at the MAV site:
http://www.mvertigo.org/
From this long thread I learn that there is not much luck yet in defeating this problem.
By the way I usually notice my daughter gets more easilly agitated the days before an attack.

It has been over a month since hubby had appendicitis. When the Dr. who operated said the dizzy spells would stop after the operation we did not believe it and kept searching. But we did stop the B12 and kept the beans to a limit and he is now well past the expected spell. The funny feeling in his head is gone and no 3 day before attitude. If the spells continue to stay away for 3 more months he is considered cured and after 6 months we are to add the beans back slowly and see what happens. Drs. opinion was hubby had problems with appendix since 6 yrs. old when spells started. The intestines started protecting it by bunting it and the beans continued to irritate it. When beans were removed from diet the spells changed from horrible every 81 days to minor once a month. He believes the B12 did help keep the appendix going longer until it just couldn't do it any longer. Now we wait. We are afraid to hope.