Hi, I am a 29 year old male who has been experience the pins and needles after a night of drinking for I'm not really sure how long.  It will often times be in my face and usually upper stomach/lower chest?  I take my blood pressure and it is normal but I will sometimes experience tachycardia.  But normally drinking enough water and getting myself hydrated will fix the tachycardia but the tingling happens no matter what.

That was very helpful, I have been an alcoholic for only a couple of years now but after reading your post I can tell I need help

YES! It happened to me last night.
SULFITE allergy, perhaps (or another ingredient, or potassium)
I drank wine and ALL of a sudden I felt TOTALLY numb

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

and almost fell over, after ONE glass. In the past I've ignored the fact that my face gets numb when I drink. I thought it was normal! Sounds like yall have tendencies toward an allergy (sensitivity), or an actual allergy.

I do a lot better with non-sulfite, organic wine, I think, in moderation.. I was going into Anaphylactic shock. In some cases, people experience symptoms within seconds and go into a coma or die. Be careful! My advice is, listen to your body (even if everyone else tells you you are fine.. I wasnt listening to my body when it went numb bc noone else was worried!!)

peace

im 28 and female
and my lips go numb when i drink gin
and it only takes one drink to start numbing
even through a straw it still happens
it doesnt happen with other alcohol though
i love gin but i probably should stop drinking it

Thank you for all of that. It was very well written and informative in a light I'd not seen. I am in the 75% but tend to pair up with people in the lesser category without intent. It is hard to understand how life is different for people with such genetic disposition. Your input was very helpful. I wish you all the best in you sobriety.

I had this when I was the same age as you and it happened on and off when I would drink until I was probably 27ish....since then, it has probably happened only once or twice and I am 40 now. I think you are right it is probably no big deal and as long as you have no other health issues I would think it is fine.

On New Year's Day 2013, I woke up with the left half of my head and face numb. No tingliing, just slgightly numb. The night before NY eve at the next door neighbors we had drank red wine, but not excessive.

I had notice some numbness in my left leg, foot, and arm for a couple week prior to Jan 1. I have no other symptoms, no weakness, no loss of other senses, no headaches. The numbness was worst in the morning. I have no problem working out or running etc. cardiovascularly, I am great.

On Jan 4, I went to the ER and got a Cat Scan and electrolytes and everything was A-OK. I laid off alcohol for a week and took Ibuprofen and it seemed to be going away. Then Jan 15, I had one glass of wine with my pasta. The next morning my face was extremely numb.

I saw my regular GP that day and then a neurologist today, I am scheduled for MRIs next week. The neurologist's best guess is a slight stroke in motor cortex or pinch nerve.

I am 50 yr old male. I have regular ( thorough checkups), low blood press, average chloerestrol, maintain excellent health and exercise, and no bad history any kind. I have never smoked or done illegal drugs.

I have seen several discussions on this site with others speafking of the same symptoms as mine. Does anyone have any insight on what this could be? This condition is worsen by alcohol, even small quanities. Any good ideas are welcomed.

dis is my first time drinking i never drink or smoke i drunk some screw driver premine 10 cocktail in it go 100%percent achol in it in i mix it up with tampico fruit punch i took to swallow of it i went to sleep in i woke up dizzy in feeling high like in my heart was beating fast in paroniod in scard i was feeling weak in slow like in my lip was feeling num i wasnt feeling myself

It's possibly hyperventilation disorder in a way. Not breathing enough and having a lack of CO2 in the bloodstream makes the muscles go funny. I get it when I drink. I never used to.

this is the best answer thus far.Thank you.

the best answer

Also happens to me,, 1st time It happened to me when I drank 2 days straight then the next day after the mass I can't feel anything starting from my hands to my face and then the whole body after a few seconds I threw up then started to feel better til the numbness worns off Me and my cousin assumes that this happened due to extreme heat here in DOHA Qatar we're inside the car when it happened to me And the AC does not work properly this time. but when it happened to me again for the second time after drinking again for 2 days the next day inside the car again Good Condition AC . I started to think this was the result of excessive drinking, which I experience everytime I drink 2 days in a row w/out sleeping, or eating. so after a few incidents whenever My hands or my face goes Numb I always try to eat something or force myself to eat something cause whenever I have a Hangover I can't eat til the effect worns off . So Whenever my face or hands starts getting numb I just eat , drink plenty of water , then relax my body on a couch or in bed . 1 more thing whenever my whole body gets numb I always start to feel my body back after throwing up.

Did you ever figure out what this is? I am experiencing the same!

Thank you for bringing up all these issues everyone. I have been experiencing similar symptoms and the first time it happened to me (a few months ago), it induced a panic attack (also a first for me). Glad to know I'm not alone and it is not a neurological issue. Moderation is definitely key in this case. Good luck to all

When I woke up this morning I noticed that the left side of my bottom lip had a sensation like I had just gotten novacaine from the dentist, but I still have all sensation, it just feels like pins and needles and a little strange. It comes and goes in waves where it will begin feeling better and then will feel numb again. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had this happen!