I only have this issue when I drink hard cider - not wine, other beer, or spirits. I will have even just 1 or 2 without really feeling buzzed. After waking up the next day, I have no feeling anywhere in my whole body and this will gradually lessen with the next 3 days. It's still annoying and would be helpful to know why this happens. It just started, too. I've had hard cider in previous years without this happening.

I also gets these symptoms after drinking I am a 20 year old female and I have found that I have to plan before I drink. It doesn't always work but I have found that if the amount of water I have drank in the day, out ways the amount of alcohol ( its very difficult to do) then I do not get the numbness and tingling and my hands locking up etc. Hope this helps. I too did not go to the doctor because i thought i would be wasting their time

Continued alcohol consumption can cause peripheral neuropathy. This and Wernickes encephalopathy can be aided by increased B vitamin consumption, partcularly thiamin (B1). Which is why alcoholics seeking help are prescribed a B vit complex. Talk to your GP for goodness sake, and try to get this sorted as it could be indicative of all sorts of potential problems.

I used to drink excessively but have been sober almost ten yrs now. I would get number all over my body quite often after a binge. It was scary never did find out why.

I have had this problem since I was in college :) therefore I have never cared too much for drinking. One glass of wine partially numbs my tongue good enough that I can bite it and it won't even hurt!!!! I also feel partial numbness to the nose. A heavy feeling and tiredsome feeling!!! Is this normal? I hate to see what would happen with more than one glass! Never done it ....scar

First time I've heard another talk of their hands "locking up" this happens to me along with everyone elses complain of numbness in their hands/cheeks. Even if I only have one drink the next morning this happens. I completely agree with a few others that hydration & potassium deficiencies are likely culprits. Off to eat a banana and drink water!!!

Have the same problem. Grandfather told me that it means that you have the genetics for being an alcoholic. As much as people deny it, alcoholism is genetic. Subconsciously your mind craves it much like nicotine. I told my mom I felt numb after a few shots when I was younger and she immediately told me that she had the same problem. It just is mental reaction. Don't drink. Because it'll become a bad habit. It's your bodies way of telling you to keep away from it

Maybe you have alcoholic neuropathy...you should get tested for it. Symptoms do include numbness and spasms.

this is the second time this has happened me stays in hands and goes to face a bit and lips how long does it last for everyone?? please mail me or reply with answer desperate need of answers

how long did it last??

Was it. Alcohol that did it to u? How. Long does it last u had u have it before?

This happens to the tip of my tongue. I also am a vodka drinker.

1. Seems everyone is ignoring the hot peppers' affect on stomach lining, exacerbated by mild acids pineapple, OJ, then further assaulted by alcohol ,,, rum/sugar then magnifies the pain (also Coke later) ... this will make some feel faint sometimes - by itself. Think subtle pain transferred to it vagus nerve neighbor ... that runs at least stomach to brain.
2. Even an Aloha rum in a hurricane (large) glass shouldn't be that much alcohol to someone that drinks and seem too little to nerve compromise even a "tea sip". That said, many do have allergic reactions to the mix in tropical drinks, no matter the alcohol base.

Therefore, considering this strong reaction, it's now become very important to isolate, then avoid all contact with the offender.
First to go would be the alcohol, as nerve problems are first warning that the subsequent drinking attacks will be directed at kidneys and worse, liver = horrible nightmares in hospitals waiting for a transplant, then never having the same immunities and certainly no alcohol, not even in your dreams.
Second are the obvious hot peppers, anything spicy.
The rest may eventually pass muster solo but maybe not in combination with other suspects.

I had the same issue. One day cramping wouldn't stop. Went to the ER. I was told that the alcohol causes dehydration and you also lose potassium. Need to hydrate when drinking to avoid it. Drinking a lot of water will make it go away eventually. I recommend Gatorade.

I know this is an old post I had to say something but I've been experiencing the same thing for the past few years. I finally went to the doctor while I was having this and she told me it was a symptom of slight hyperventilation. What that has to do with drinking I don't know. But I had another doctor tell me the same thing a year or two later.