I had the NovaSure on October 16, 2008, an outpatient procedure in the women health surgical center at the hospital under anesthesia, i am back to work and i am feeling ok. The procedure went very well and quick, everyone from the anesthesiologist to the post-op nurse was great. a few cramps for several days i was given motrin 600mg in recovery and took regular motrin at home. i do have a watery yellow discharge which is expected. i did get tired the first week back to work, however i am doing just fine, my follow up with my Dr is Tuesday, i cannot comment on the urge incontinence because i already had that and take meds for it. I am glad i had the procedure, i look forward to next month to see if the surgery worked. good luck to all and i agree with flino 4, i really depends on the experience your doctor has and my dr and his medical team are excellent.

I just had the Novasure procedure on 10/29/08 and left the hospital 2 hours after surgery, very tired but able to walk. I feel great, a little crampy, not nothing motin can't fix. I was a bit concerned about not spotting at all, but after reading the other posts realize that can be a normal response - thank you. I am off of work for school break, but did go to a meeting the morning after the procedure and then took my 5 small children trick-or-treating for halloween this evening - I even pushed the double stroller. I am hopeful that this will work, no period would be wonderful, but I will take a light one any day over what I had before. I would love to know how people are doing 12+ months later. I am sorry to hear some of you have had a bad experience and I am not clear why your doctor would do a surgery outside a hospital. I was in the same operating room as I was for 2 of my c-sections in the Woman's Medical Center at the hospital, with a spinal. I hope that anyone planning on having the procedure will look into appropriate options and check out their doctor's history.

I had the Novasure procedure on 10/21/08. I also had a tubal ligation along with it. I am still having some watery type bloody discharge. I was hoping that would end soon. I do agree with the other person who posted about the recovery period - it must take a long time to heal since it's in a moist environment. I had my procedure in an outpatient surgery center. Everything went OK except I didn't do well with the anesthesia. I also feel a bit crampy sometimes but I wonder if that could be my period coming back. The most painful part of the surgery was the tubal ligation not the novasure. If I just had the novasure procedure, I would have recovered so much faster...

I am a 49 year old who had the procedure done in June 2008. I was off work for one day with no complications. My periods have been regular and very mild ever since. My weight gain has been 8 pounds so far but I am eating no more than than I did before. I am experiencing a lot of water retention and bloating even though I try and refrain from sodium, caffeine, processed foods and sugar. I don't know whether to blame the procedure itself or my age (peri-menopause).
A good friend (aged 47) recommended the Novasure ablation to me as she had great success (done in 2006) with just light spotting each month. In two years she has lost more than 50 pounds but has been walking 5 kms per day. It's hard to determine whether the weight gain is age related or procedure related. Personally, I think it's age and we all have to step it up a notch to keep the weight off. It is impossible to lose a pound.
On another note, my OBGYN was not overly enthusiastic about the statistical results of the ablation to date. She hinted that I will most likely be back within the year if the heavy bleeding returns. I opted for the ablation because I wanted to avoid the hysterectomy. To date, I am happy that I did.

i gained 5 lbs ssince novasure i am 39 also my ankle started to swell right away and have not gone down i had my ablation april3rd 2008

I had the Novasure done in Jan 2005, due to very heavy 8 day periods. I had it done in California, and after around 2 weeks of the usual discharge associated with this procedure, I didn't have a single spot or bleed until last week.
I can't believe that all of a sudden my rotten periods are back...and it may be worse - for a week I had a light period, and I thought "Oh God" and then a few days after that, I then got my usual heavy, clotting period - 3 days into that now, and feeling totally miserable with sore legs, back, tummy, and of course blood everywhere...
I'm not in the States anymore so can't have it done again, so not sure what to do - I had thought that since it lasted nearly 4 years without a spot that I'd never have a period again...
So just to let you know out there - sometimes it can work and give you no period (I'm very tall and the surgeon didn't expect to have a perfect result, so did warn me I could end up with either the same period, or just a lighter one - or of course none), and sometimes it can do as some of the previous posters have had done. Or, in my case, it can stop it for a few yrs, then come back with a vengence!!!
I don't regret having it done - I do regret not being back in the States to have it done again though, haha!

From reading all the posts on this topic, the procedure seems to go better if you have the D&C as well. Also have noticed many more positive posts toward the current date opposed to the first ones.

Having crying jags after a procedure is normal, no matter what you have done. To some extent, it is your body going OMG what was that! But it can also be how you react as the anestesia wears off. Nothing to worry about unless it lasts more than a couple days or you become depressed as well.

Pain in the shoulder is fairly common with low back area procedures - pain transference, as well as tightening of that area during the procedure or after. However, that is also an area of pain for women having heart attacks.

Some of the other symptoms sound like possible undiagnosed problems coming to the surface. The swelling in the ankles could be from varicose veins, or even a blood clot - nothing to dismiss, thats for sure.

Before you have this procedure, I would highly recommend having a full complete health asessment, with all the bloodwork and exams in uncomfortable places, and everything. Like the woman who had all those polyps (so glad they were discovered and taken care of) if her provider had thought to check that earlier on, she would have been better off later. Don't expect your doctor to suggest these things, you HAVE TO be proactive about your health, and if you find a treatment or side effect or anything you want to know about, ask your doctor. Don't wait for them to suggest it.

Be aggressively healthy.

I'm glad to have found this board with the info from everyone having this procedure done.

My doctor is recommending having tubal ligation and Novasure done at the same time. He has scheduled me for an ultrasound next week to be sure there isn't any other problems going on.

He didn't, however, mention doing a d&c first. I think it sounds like a good idea. I am going to suggest it and see what he thinks.

I'm concerned about the constant discharge. I was hoping for more information from ladies who have had this done a while back. I know there is a healing process, but if I'm forever doomed to constant discharge...I will not have this done. I will take my heavy periods with no discharge in between rather than discharge the rest of my life!

I'm also concerned about weight gain. I don't need to gain any more weight and this is a deterrant for me as well. Ny doctor didn't mention this either. Is there anyone who hasn't experienced weight gain after Novasure?

I am having a D&C and Novasure done on Jan 8. I workout regularly (weight training, running, spinning, Stepmill). Has anyone had any issues with exercising after having these procedures? Could you get back into your workout routine within a few days? weeks?

Bev

Hi there,

I had my Hysteroscopy, D&C and Novasure Endometrial Ablationon December 23, 2008. I am now two weeks out. I am a 46 YO who had a tubal back in 1986.

There has been no pain, bleeding or discharge. I have done my best to take it easy and follow doctors orders, not lifting anything over 10 lbs...but with the holidays and grandchildren in the house it was a challenge. When I did overdo it, I felt it. I was lucky that our office was closed over the holidays so I didn't have to go to work and was able to take afternoon naps. The general anesthesia did seem to have more impact on me than the procedures.

When I've overdone it, I've had some slight cramping, but ibuprofin has taken care of it.

Prior to the procedures, I went six months without a period. I was excited and thought I was in menopause but blood tests showed that I was not. Then, two days after my drs appointment, my period started, clotting and heavy and did not stop except for a couple of days for two months.

I am really hoping this is the answer. If not, my ob/gyn has said we'll do a hysterectomy. I have a wonderful doctor and trust her 100% to do the right thing.

Ione

I had the Novasure procedure Dec 26th....Cramping and bleeding after the procedure and have still have slight cramps and slight bleeding everyday since the procedure. But no big deal, not anything like what I had experienced with my normal periods. Using mini pads daily but it really is very slight. Slight cramping seems to come and go. I have not had intercourse yet...was told to wait 2 weeks. I am happy with the procedure so far... Hoping I never have a period again....time will tell...

I had my procedure on 12/30/08 in the doctor's office (not outpatient surgery, so no anesthesia but some good relaxation drugs) and without a D&C. Recovery has been great. A little cramping after coming home, and watery, slightly pink or brown discharge but no blood and I was back to work the next day. I'm still having a little discharge, but it's mostly clear and still no blood. I'm hopeful that this is a good sign of times to come, but a little nervous because a lot of the posts mention a D&C improved overall success rate. Wasn't sure how long to expect the discharge to last or the expectation in the next monthly cycle, so this forum has been very helpful in that regard.

Good Morning! I'm the one (a "guest") who asked about exercise after these procedures. As an update: I did have the procedures on Thurs, Jan 8, my GYN put me on no restrictions (even though I weight train and run), I took it easy for 4 days (Thur-Sun), and was back to work on Monday. I also went to the gym on Monday --- 4 miles of walkiing on the treadmill...decided to ease into exercise this week. I normally would have done weight training yesterday but am waiting a few days to start back with that. Am planning to hit the treadmill again today...possibly do a little light jogging. I continue to have some yellowish discharge, and feel very bloated. Has anyone else experienced alot of bloating?

I am 39 years old. I had a tubal ligation at age 26 after 2 children without incident. At age 37 I began to bleeding with menstruation and severe cramps that did not stop for almost 9 months. I was very ill and anemic. After a vaginal ultrasound it was determined that he cause was from uterine fibroids and my gynecologist gave me 2 options. The novasure uterine ablation or a hysterectomy. She really pushed the novasure and ensured me that it would be as effective as the hysterectomy without the post op pain and that i would have a shorter recovery.. So I chose the novasure, and had a d&c as well. I never stopped menstruation, but it is regular at least as far as time, every 28 days for 3-4 days. Unfortunately it seems that with every cycle the pain becomes more and more debilitationg. Not one over the counter medication touches this pain. I have cramps that do not allow sleep. The cramps go from by abdomen through my buttocks and down the back of my knees. This pain is so unbearable that it is causing seats and heart palpitations now. I am just devastated by this pain , it just brings me to my knees I can compare it to child birth. The pressure and bloating are also unbearable. I am from a small town with one gynecologists office and I really do not want to go back there. And since then have lost my health insurance. Is there anyone that can tell me what the heck is going on? Every month it feels as if I could die.. Then it goes away. But I just dread the next cycle.. Can it get worst? please help me!!

After talking with my Dr. about my heaving bleeding, extreme cramping and over all hellish periods she recommended the NovaSure procedure for me. She gave me a pamphlet that said that for 2 months before the procedure one should get lupron shots in order to thin the lining of the uterus. I called her back today to schedule an in depth consult and I asked about the lupron and she said that she doesn't do the lupron, that on the day of surgery first she does a D&C, then does the ablation, and for me will then do a tubal ligation. I've seen that some have had the D&C also, anyone else had this combination? Has ANYONE done the lupron first? For those who had the bloating after, was it due to the air they pump into you to dilate things so it is easier to perform the procedure or is it different? I would really like to get as much info as I can before the procedure, I don't want to do something that is going to set me back.