I had the procedure done in March 2008 for heavy bleeding and cramps. I'd have a period for 10-14 days and have 7-10 on no bleeding. It was horrible, very VERY heavy.

I also had a tubal ligation at the same time.

I had very little issues healing.. slight discharge but the pain for the first few days was very uncomfy. Not as painful as the cramps I had before having it done, but enough to take the pain pills. I will say that the discharge did have a burnt smell, it was odd.

About two month after I had the worst pain in my life on my left side. My doctor did an ultrasound and exam and concluded that I was ovulating. She warned me that the next month I'd have the pain on the right side... she was right. After those two months I didn't have any ovulating pain but I did have the PMS.

Its been almost a year and my periods have returned. For the last three months I've had a light period but the cramps are far worse then before the procedure. They're lasting the entire week of my period, before it was a few days before and one day of. Now its a week before and the entire period. My doctor had warned me that the cramps might come back worse then before..... she was right.

The next step will be hysterectomy, only because the cramps are so bad I can't go without 800 mg of ibuprofen to get through the day.

I don't regret having the procedure and recommend it to my friends that have heavy bleeding. It's not guaranteed to completely end the periods but it was the gamble.

I just had the procedure on 1/9/09. The procedure wasn't bad, but i ended up in the ER that night. I could not stop vomiting and had severe pain, but the pain was more in my stomach area versus lower. They think I had some type of reaction to the meds. My procedure was done in the office.

I too had a lot of bloating for a few weeks, but now I'm back to normal. The discharge wasn't bad initially, but I had to swap over to pads/tampons from liners because I started bleeding - probably my normal period, however, my doc did tell me that I would have an odor to the discharge, but its horrible. I keep femine wipes with me and use every time I use the rest room. It's been 4 weeks now and I'm starting to get concerned. I only saw one post referring to a burnt smell.

Has anyone experienced the odor issue? I was told to contact the doc office if I had a greenish discharge, but wasn't sure if this would qualify as a sufficient concern or not.

A friend of mine has been looking at having Novasure done, but she's waiting to see how I fair - so far, not too peachy.

%-) I had the d & C and novasure two days ago which was Friday the 13th! Was a little worried but did not want to endure one more heavy period. So far so good...a little crampy and wiped from gen'l anesthesia. Back to work tomorrow, maybe 1/2 day. I am 53 yrs old and was hoping menpause would have come but no luck.
I will update the site as far as my progress goes. I am trying to be positive but some of the posts are a concern.

I had my right ovary removed and part of my left ovary removed on 02/10. Along with that, I had a D&C and the NovaSure ablation. Talk about being sore! I had quite a bit of bleeding for the first few days, but it has really tapered off now. I am hoping to be period free eventually or at least have much lighter periods. I am 46 years old and wanted to try this before enduring a hysterectomy.

I am also trying to think positive about the outcome :-D

I had the NovaSure Procedure on 2/10 and the evening of and the next day I felt like I was in labor with serious contractions. I was very uncomfortable to say the least. After that I felt pretty good I sometimes feel a little pain when I work out or am up for a long time on my feet. I still have a clear/yellowish discharge that is annoying but better than the blood clots and heavy bleeding. My husband and I had intercourse over the past weekend and it wasn't uncomfortable until later I could definitely tell it was to soon.
I would bleed more through the month than not my Dr suggested trying this procedure before the next step of a hysterectomy.. Keeping my fingers crossed.. Good Luck to you all!! ;-)

Ladies, please make sure your gynecologist is experienced in performing this procedure. I think a lot of the problems I've read on this board may be due to lack of experience. I have been going to my Dr. for 12 years and I trust her with my life....obviously since she did my D&C and Novasure with hysteroscopy under general anesthesia on Christmas Eve 2008. I had read some of the posts on this board prior to surgery and almost chickened out b/c of some of them. Thankfully, I went thru with it. I went in the OR at around 8:45am and I looked at the clock when I woke up in recovery at 9:20am. I was fine and left the hospital around 10am. I had some cramping for about the first 8 hours after surgery but nothing severe. I was able to enjoy Christmas activities with my family as usual. I had stocked up on some BIG pads as I thought I would have a lot of bleeding afterwards. On the contrary I have not bled since I had my period the week before surgery. I did have a little pinkish discharge if I overdid it for about a week after. It wasn't much and could have gotten by with a thin pantyliner b/c it was hardly any at all. I went back to work Dec. 26th and was fine and I do have a physical job. I did limit bending and squatting too much just in case. So far, my procedure has been successful. I can still tell when I'm supposed to get my period b/c of breast tenderness, mild cramps, etc but no blood. YAY!! I'm praying that this is for good. My Dr. had done A LOT of these procedures. She did some of the nurses and office workers in the gyn. office so I got to hear first hand about thier successes. Do your homework and make sure you don't let some quacko do it. The total bill was a little over $16,000 for EVERYTHING..hospital, OR, anesthesiologist, supplies, drugs, lab, Dr. fees, etc. Thankfully, I have good insurance so I only had to pay the remaining amount toward my $450 out of pocket limit which was only$147!!!I would definitely do it again and highy recommend it but only with an experienced physician!!

I have been talking to my doctor about having the procedure due to painful cramping and very heavy periods with blood clots. But, after reading others experiences I am very worried and thinking about canceling the procedure. Especially because she will only do it in her office under local anesthesia. That scares me. I have a very low pain tolerance and have heard it can be quite painful. I may wait to find a doctor who will do it under general anesthesia. Anyone have any advice?

A friend of mine had the procedure about 2 years ago. She spots every three or four months and is thrilled with the outcome.

I had horrible periods and decided to go ahead with the procedure on 2/10/09. The only thing I felt during the procedure was the shot in the arm. I felt no cramping that day but started some cramping the following week. It was time for my regular cycle which my doc advised was normal.

I am still having a pinkish discharge after three weeks which I guess is normal. My biggest complaint at this time is I am exhausted. I don't know it is from the prolonged discharge. Of course, I could have been low on blood from the prolonged periods prior to the procedure. Has anyone else felt wiped out?

I'm turning 33 next month. I am happily married and happily have no children by choice. My periods used to last 1 1/2 days with 21 days before the next. They were very light, no cramping and very predictable. Over the years they are lasting longer, 4+ days, severe cramping, heavy with large clots making me anemic, and coming sometimes every 10-12 days. I get dizzy, weak, light headed and sick. I have problems with painful ovarian cysts on my left ovary every month. My husband and I are completely happy w/o children. My doctor has recomended NovaSure. I go in next month to set up the appt. and to go over everything. Reading some of the messages has me scared. I wish there were more with possative results posted. %-)

I had the NovaSure procedure on 02/10/09. For the first week or so, I had a bloody discharge. After two weeks, it has almost disappeared. Before the procedure, I was having a constant, extremely heavy period. I have to say that I feel so much better after the procedure than I did before. I also had my right ovary removed (and part of my left) at the same time, along with a D&C. I feel pretty much back to normal now.

So far, I would have to give this procedure a thumbs up!

I had the Novasure endrometrial ablation last wednesday, along with a hysteroscopy and d and c. I have had almost constant bleeding for 16 years, except when I was pregnant with my three children. the bleeding was extremely heavy, sometimes up to 20 tampons a day. I was anemic, constantly tired and sick. the cramps were horrendous, and always reminding me of how hard the bleeding was. I was ready to have a hysterectomy, when I heard about the novasure procedure, and decided to try it. So far I could not be happier. I had the procedure done in a hospital under general anesthesia. The procedure took about 30 minutes, I was in the pacu for 1 hour, same day surgery for about 1.5 hours, and then home. I had no nausea, only slight cramps and a very small amount of pinkish discharge. In the past six days, I have had slight cramping if I am too active, and I have to wear a liner because of light discharge, but after heavy bleeding for so long, I will gladly wear a liner! I feel better than I have in years! I am optomistic about having a period - I do not know when I am going to get one because I always had it. To anyone out there thinking about this - make sure you do your research, and that your doctor has experience with the procedure. The novasure wand actually tells the doctor whether the procedure is advised (after the wand is inserted into your uterus). My doctor was very clear that if the procedure was not advised, he would not go through with it. (he knows that alot of doctors keep going.). anyways, if you have any questions, I would be happy to try to answer them. I am an icu nurse (have been for 9 years), and I feel like I was very well informed before I went into this. Good luck!

It is great reading everyone's posts. I am going to get the procedure done the end of March 2009. I am a bit nervous as I have never had any surgery and I have only been under once for my wisdom teeth. However, I cannot take the clotting and heavy periods any longer. I am 46 years old, anemic, tired, and have a large fibroid. This heavy bleeding interfers with my entire life. Everything I do is geared around my cycle. I hope that I will have some relief after the procedure and I hope that recovery goes as well as all of you. Thanks.

I had the procedure done 2 months ago. I have bled or had a discharge all but maybe 14 days. I am very disappointed. Apparently, the ultrasound did not clearly show (until post-up review saw it) a "wall" that was missed by the procedure. I am going to wait a couple months and see if this goes away before consulting my doctor for options. I can say that my periods are 25% lighter....but worth the money?!

I just had this procedure done this morning at my GYN. Before leaving for his office I was to take a valium, and when I got there they monitored me and then took me to procedure room. There he gave me a shot of motrin in my arm for pain. That's it!!! WHen up in the stirrups, he did say he was numbing me a little down there. Felt some pinching, but not much pain. THe pain began when the novasure procedure took place for 90 seconds. That 90 sec. felt like an hour!!!! Very painful.
After the procedure, I didn't think I felt too bad. The moment I got home, the cramping hit me hard; so hard I thought I would be sick from the pain. I got cold chills, felt very weak, and couldn't take the pain. I ended up calling the nurse and she told me to go ahead and take another 800mg of Ibuprofen. I did and finally felt somewhat relieved at 12:30 p.m. I got home at 9:30 a.m. from the dr. - so in pain for what seemed like eternity. Now it's evening, I'm feeling more cramping again - almost time to take another ibuprofen. I also feel very bloated. Hope this all goes away soon...I'd hate to have gone through this and it didn't work. FYI: my periods were very heavy, painful and sometimes included such heavy bleeding and clots. This is why I opted for this.

hey y'all --

first off, thanks to everyone who posted to date! i've found this site very helpful both while researching the procedure and now that i'm post-op.

i'm three weeks post-op and feel kind of tired sometimes but good overall. i had no pain afterward, a three day 'mini' period the week following the procedure when it was due anyway, and that same watery/clear discharge that everyone mentions. other than that, nothing unusual and my partner and i are back to normal relations. i'm currently pms-ing and feel the usual bloating and breast tenderness. i'm looking forward to seeing what happens next week and whether i'll have another mini period or nothing at all. i also have my six week post op appointment on the 25th and am working on my list of questions.

so my summary at three weeks is, "so far, so good" and i'm hoping for the best. take care -- rose