I'm 50 and male, and have had this pain my entire life since around 7 years old.  I had every test known including exploratory surgery.  The surgeon was looking for the "urachal abnormality" mentioned a few posts earlier.  Unfortunately, she found nothing remarkable.  I still believe that this is the issue and it just hasn't been found.

This has happened to me before, but that was around 2 years ago. I just started feeling this when i went pee for the first time after having intercourse with my girlfreind. But we did it several times. I probably ejaculated 7 times. Sorry if that grosses you out. Anyways i get the same feeling its like my belly button is being pulled everytime i flex my abdomen or take a piss or even just stand up straight. It sucks aass. And i hope to baby jesus above its not a kydney stone.....peace

I have the same feeling if I don't pee. It's like a string ripping my umbilical and after sex. I do have an umbilical hernia. But prior to this I have had it all my life I have used icy hot even ice but pain comes for less than hour. I wish doctors can answer this.

I have the same problem, the doctors because i have visited several of them, have treated this as a urinary infection but i took for so long antibiotics and didn't work..... so i decided to look up in the internet if i can find any that can give me an answer..... but i found that so many people have this same issue.... i feel like if someone stab my belly button and also a like a string(cord) that is pulled down my bladder and feel like a need to pee....... so i consider that this problem may be attached to the median umbilical ligament (urachus) because when you press your belly button with your finger you feel the same pulling string pain and the feel like you need to pee.... So you all may tell your doctor that theory..... because as far as i see, that is the only thing that match our symptoms. ...... and there is no information o literature about what we all have...

That is exactly what I feel! It lasts no longer than an hour, and is gone just like that. This happens literally MOOONTHS apart. It's just a sharp pain that comes and goes, and when I walk it furthers itself into a dull tugging that makes me hunch over. It never hurts when I feel the urge to pee, or when I start, but it flares up terribly right as I finish using the rest room?? Only when I urinate. It's very weird, on top of it not being such a terrible pain.. I'm very curious and would love a clear, reasonable diagnosis for what keeps happening to me. It started when I was about 12 or 13, and I'm going on 18 now. Everyone else thinks I'm psycho! Very happy to see I am not the only one, because the only other ones I see are people who have severe diarrhea and vomiting, fevers, etc..

Yes, I just had this pain right now so I googled it. What I had just been doing was bending over my bed for a long time as I ironed my clothes, and I also had to pee. My back started hurting so when I sat down to stretch, I twisted my torso to either side and the pain started. When I went to the bathroom about two minutes later it was still there and hurt more as I peed. From the posts it definitely sounds like they are related, the dehysdratino too. I was drinking a cup of ice water, which I haven't drank a super lot today, only two/three cups 

I get the same thing like 5 times a week ....im 14

After suffering from this terrible pain for over half of my life and spending thousands seeing multiple specialists, I have finally found a doctor who was able to successfully diagnose and cure this pain with surgery. 

THIS IS A SYMPTOM OF A URACHAL CYST FORMING. I have had many MRIs and ultrasounds, and the cyst did not show up on any of them for many years. Once the cyst was large enough that I was in constant pain (almost six years after the first occurance) it still BARELY showed up on my MRI (looked like a tiny white needle pointing up towards my navel). My doctor admitted that while my MRI did not look like a conventional urachal cyst (most likely why no one else diagnosed it as such), my symptoms and location of pain were consistent with this. I underwent surgery two months ago, terrified that I would wake up in more pain and with no cure like so many of you have. The surgery was successful, however, and a small cyst the size of a pea was removed along with my urachus and a small portion of my bladder. 

PLEASE insist upon multiple opinions. I suffered for so long and even contemplated suicide because of the pain that I was in, and no one deserves to feel so hopeless. If you can't find a doctor near you who will listen, consider giving Tower Urology in Los Angeles a call. I had to fly from Hawai'i to have my surgery, but it was worth every penny. I have my life back and I wish the same for all of you. 

I'm almost 20 years old now but I got my first bladder infection when I was only a few weeks old, then a few years later when my mom became frustrated because she couldn't potty train me she took me to a doctor who figured out I had an "improper bladder". This meant I didn't have proper nerve endings in my bladder so I wouldn't feel the need to pee and my bladder would randomly decide to let go. When I did go to the bathroom my bladder would only drain about 1/4th of the way because it took the pressure off and my bladder sent the message that I was empty. This resulted in dozens and dozens of infections over the years. I had to go to very specialized "bladder therapy" and finally at the age of twelve my bladder had been trained well enough to function normally. Unfortunately I still get infections quite regularly, and I flush it out of my system by drinking a lot of acidic juices. Cran-grape has always been the best tasting for me, but straight cranberry is really the best. It's horrific and painful every time but my guide line is "If I'm not peeing blood I can take care of it myself". I've never met anyone who suffers from bladder infections like I do and it's a huge relief to know I'm not the only one!!

Hi . it is a same story with me . cant even touch or wash my umbilical area . my umbilical is not bulging . just very painful since I was a child . I am now 31 , it is now very painful as I grow . who can help . I am considering it to be removed . I am in south Africa . who operated on you what country are you from

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM FROM BIRTH WHO OPERATED ON YOU . I AM IN SOUTH AFRICA . WHERE ARE YOU . FROM WHICH COUNTRY ARE YOU .

This is crazy that no one knows what this is. I am a female 29 and this has been going on for a long time maybe every six months to year. Again it feels it happens when resting on the couch and either stretching or getting up too fast, once walking, I can be crippled in pain unless I dont move and dont continue walking. Have been brought to shouts and tears in pain. Cant nor have ever been able to stand pressure to belly button. Pain shoots from belly button straight down. I've had children but pain was way before pregnancy.

how can i get in touch with you? i have this same pain

It's weird how many people are experiencing the same thing and doctors are guessing all over the place. I have had this for 20+ years, every few months this pain will strike, usually for 10-15 minutes, and then it's gone. I have noticed a sequence over a couple of days that begins with a mild feeling of urinary infection, then the pain hits, then my belly button becomes infected and oozing. I treat this with Chlorhexidin and it goes away. The median umbilical ligament explanation is the only one I've heard that makes any sense!

I am a doctor, recently completed my M.B.B.S.With regard to the above symptoms my provisional diagnosis would be a 'patent urachus ' or 'Urachal cyst' which is a rare condition and often missed by doctors. Please get and ultrasound of your abdomen and you can also ask your doctor about this condition.