No, I had plenty of intense contractions (spent 3 days in labor) but it wasn't anything related to this. Giving birth comes with its own pains. ;-)

Laila, what did the doc say about it?

A few years ago, I had several intense spells that included sweating, stomach cramps, diarrhea, nausea, and feeling like I was going to faint. These spells happened in the middle of the night and woke me up from sleep. It literally was the most intense pain I have ever felt, and I have a very high tolerance for pain. The spells would last for about 5-10 minutes but felt like an absolute enternity. I would lay on the bathroom floor because I thought I was going to pass out. I would sweat so much the bathroom floor was soaked around me. The spells would end with an episode of intense diarrhea.

I thought I was in the clear until the other night where I experienced a different situation. The pain started in my chest and caused me severe shortness of breath. I thought I was having a heart attack and was rushed to the ER. While in route to the ER, the pain moved to the top of my stomach. It really made it hard to breathe and was incredibly scary. The episode lasted about 3 hours. Turns out, I was passing a gall stone. Read about gall stones and your gallbladder. The initial events could have been gall stones passing or a preliminary event leading up to the passing of my gall stone the other night.

I hope this information helps someone.

I JUST AN EPISODE TODAY. I'm 18 y/o.

I noticed that I was sweating and got very hot, then I started to slowly get nauseus. 

My stomach suddenly caused intense pain and I ran to the bathroom and was constipated and what did come out was diahhrea. It ended shortly after, but it came out of the blue. It did occur right before my period.

I am 43 year old women, great health, no complications of any sort. I am in very healthy shape, I eat very "cleanly", exercise reg., not on any meds, rest well, and am overall a very happy person! I have had EXACTLY what is described by you and the person who initially posted. It's been years since it happened last. I had a terrible episode (excruciating pain, dripping cold sweats, nausea but no vomiting), this am upon waking. Started during a normal BM - did not come in waves, it's always been sustained - and lasted about 12-15 min. I too was completely white in the face, to the point where I got pretty worried I might be on the verge of fainting. It passed, I was able to take a hot shower, and felt a lot better after about 30 min. post episode. This is not related to any "female" issues either, as I had a total hyst. years ago (just due to uterine issues after 3 babies!). I went looking for answers and came across this post. I wish there was some solid explainable ending to this, but I've just been told "IBS" for years. I think I will be heading in for some abdominal imaging. I will insist on it since there's gotta be something more than IBS when there is absolutely not any diet, allergy, exercise, rest, stress etc. issues in my life to consider, right?

Have you found out anything else about what the cause might be? I used to have this frequently, had completely stopped since the birth of my son 11 years ago... until today :( I have googling like crazy trying to find something to help. Horrible :(

Not yet - but I am seeing my GP (fortunately I have a great one who's also a friend) soon. I too went for a really long time w/o any episodes. This am was scary. I will post if I do find something! Hope you're feeling better this evening.

Did you ever figure out what was going on with you?

I put in the same symptoms and came up with ibs. I like you have to hurry and lay down are I will faint. Mine seems to happen right after I eat something and it dosent happen all the time but when it does I am sick for a couple of days. I have been doing this for several years and no test have ever found anything but I know how I feel and it's made me afraid to go out on my own. I studied the ibs and it really seemed to match my symptoms. Just know your not alone

I am having similar issues with bad menstrual periods. The shakes, dizziness, fast heart rate, blood pressure drops, and sweating have been a reaction to a sensitivity or allergy to sulfites (a preservative in most processed foods). In addition, I've discovered my blood sugar levels drop. A glucose tablet helps those symptoms almost immediately. Unfortunately, it doesn't change the cramps and the diarrhea, but the rest is alleviated quickly.

These are the exact same symptoms I have (to the T). I am female, so I guess I can eliminate any gender specific illnesses such as endometriosis. Have you even been diagnosed with IBS (at this point I believe IBS is simply an all encompassing diagnosis given when the digestive issue is not completely understood, however I think the meds perscribed for IBS may help)

I've been diagnosed with IBS. To me, IBS is a catch all, doctor speak for I don't have an answer but come back again for another appointment so I can pay my student loans. I don't think they know so they give it a name and say how difficult it is to diagnose. Not much luck with doctors.

Hi I'm sixteen years old, and I'm on my period it's a really heavy cycle more than usual. I had the urge to go to the bathroom, but being woken up by really bad cramps, while sitting on the toilet I got really hot and started sweating, then lightheaded, nauseated, and then next thing I realize I had passed out for a few minutes and ended up kind of having a panic attack and sitting in the floor bent over the shower. I got up slowly and went and laid down in my bed, cramping more and hurting worse. I got the urge to go back to the bathroom and took about 8 minutes to finish. I have really bad cramping in my lower stomach and back. I want to know the cause of this, if anyone has had these symptoms please help me. Symptoms: •nausea •lightheaded •sweating •really bad cramping (more than usual) •passing out

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. Had to be terrifying. I know it was for me the first time it happened. First of all, go see a doctor and get a check up. Make sure everything is ok. I went on the pill and it helped a lot for many years, til I had to go off a year ago. They are, in my opinion, wrongly called birth control pills. They are hormones that had a huge impact on my quality of life. I found the dizziness, passing out, shakes, sweats, rapid heart beat was my blood sugar dropping. I take sugar when that starts to happen. Not chocolate. Doesn't work. Neither does the sugar substitutes. Try a glass of juice. Chew up a peppermint candy. I carry glucose tablets. I get them over the counter at the grocery store. I take half a glucose tablet and those symptoms go away almost right away. Unfortunately, it doesn't stop the cramps or the diarrhea.

The symptoms I usually have are as follows - usually starts with nausea, then moves to dizziness, and usually ends with cold sweats and severe abdominal cramping. Rarely but vomiting and diarrhea happened a couple times. I had these symptoms since I was in my teens and now, I'm in my mid-40's. I'm naturally very thin, usually under 100 pounds, but because I'm severely anemic, doctors usually ask me about my eating habits. No, I don't have eating disorder. I'm not a vegan but I prefer vegetables. I love sweets and fresh fruits. I never skip a meal because I'm a marathon runner. That being said, I would recommend that you check for gastric dumping syndrome / rapid gastric emptying. Because dumping syndrome is almost always associated with people who have had gastric surgery, many doctors will not even consider this. EMS was called in multiple times when I had these episodes at work and when they checked for my sugar level (mostly because I'm considered "underweight" by most non Asians), it's usually very low. But the funny thing is once symptoms go away, usually within 2 hours, my sugar level goes up right away. (I actually had two sugar level tests within 60 minutes and I had two different test results.) During my regular, annual check ups, my sugar level is usually normal to high, depends on how much sugar I had (chocolate covered nuts, oatmeal cookies, and ice cream are my weakness) the night before. Apparently, people with this syndrome often suffer from alimentary hypoglycemia so the sugar level is usually very low when the symptom shows up. I cutdown sugar, increased proteins (eggs, nuts, beans and tofu), increased complex carbs (added a lot of Korean yellow fleshed sweet potatoes), and switched from 4 big meals to 3 smaller meals with 4 snacking (usually almonds and fruits) between meals and this helped cutdown dumping syndrome drastically for me. It may not work for everyone but it worked for me.