What is the name or site for the article.

THIS IS EXACT SAME THING HAPPENS TO ME and I also find myself laying in the shower and on the floor it's terrifying and my body goes numb but this usually is the day I start my period. It's awful and I wouldn't wish it upon anyone

I used to get these episodes - intense abdominal pain that came in waves (the intestinal muscles contracting), sudden sweating, dizzy, nauseated, feeling faint, and diarrhea. Then it would be over.

I now take probiotics, cut sugar and carbs from my diet (including fake sugars because they trigger these episodes), and I am cured. Haven't had an episode in years.

Ive had the same thing happen to me 3 times
In the last 6 weeks the pain is so bad its like when i was in labor with my son finally i get really bad tummy trouble and have to lay down before i pass out

it has to be irritable bowel syndrome

IBS! get some miralax... Take it everyday! Prolly forever! I do know skip every other day.. But only depending on what I eat... I had a very bad one today.. I havent been able to buy any Miralax in bout three month..

Hi, do you feel as if you are shaking and have rapid heart beat? ask your GP to test your thyroid, it's just a blood test, he will check other things as well. Hope you feel better and get to the bottom of it.

It's IBS and it sucks med can help though

I go through this often. It's very scary. I often pray to god and just have to allow this pain to pass. I often end up vomiting and it helps a little but it's not the flu or food poisoning because it happens very often and I know exactly what kind of extreme pain I'm going to be experiencing. I have to wake my boyfriend up everytime because I feel like I am going to die from a bowel obstruction. I become drenched in my own sweat and try talking myself down because my anxiety gets out of control. I am in so much pain I'm too scared to move or even go to the emergency room. It's truly more painful then giving birth. I sucks believing your dying so many times in your life. Most people only have to think or experience dying once...when they actually die.

It's generally thought to be inflammation in the vegus nerve. when stool passes the irritated area the vegus nerve kind of spazzes out. Since it is a long primitive nerve that spans directly from your gut to brain and controls things like heart regulation and breathing, fight or flight response etc, it can have a dramatic but generally short lived effect. Lowered blood pressure and adrenaline dump cause dizziness nausea panic etc. I have taken to keeping a padded stool in the bathroom near the toilet. When I feel it coming on I drag the stool infront of me and just lay my head and torso on it, and try to relax as much as possible. This way if I pass out I don't crack my head on the floor. Alleviates some of the anxiety associated with it and makes everything less horrible. Good luck.

Your best bet is to reduce inflammation in your body. Reduce stress, Avoid processed food, reduce carbs, take low doses on NSAIDs daily, and cultivate a heathy gut with probiotics like fermented foods and yogurt, and pre-biotics like ACV, flax, chia, jicama...

Realizing it won't kill you, and making your bathroom a safe place to suffer rhru helps a lot since anxiety makes it worse.

Thank you for this. It happens about once a month to me. It seems to be linked to eating something fatty and forgetting to take my acid reducer for my GERD. My syptoms are like DJ's and come as soon as I fall asleep. I'll talk to my doctor about it as I also have a strong history of colitis and crohns in the family. At least I am not alone! Or crazy!

I just had one tonight it sucks I find healthy eating and portion control helps stop it. I found I mostly get it after eating to much bread sugery spicy fatty foods even a few days earlier

I am very familiar with these symptoms and I am fairly certain they are caused by a drop in blood sugar aka a "hypoglycemic attack." If you research hypoglycemia the symptoms are spot on. At the start of my period I used to wake up in the middle of the night due to cramping or needing to use the bathroom. Then I would suddenly feel dizzy, sweaty, and shaky. My vision would blur and I would feel so weak I would have to drop to the floor. After 5-10 minutes it was over. This happened to me at least 5 times and my mom and sister have both experienced the same. No health professional could figure out what was going on. These episodes only happened if i had gone a while without eating (like overnight).

Blood sugar levels can rise and fall during menstruation due to hormones and PMS. 
If you have a history of diabetes in your family, you may be more vulnerable. I don't have diabetes, but many people in my family do.

The best way to minimize these episodes is to eat every few hours if you can during the time when you are vulnerable. Also, avoid alcohol before bed because it can lower your blood sugars while you are sleeping it off. I learned this the hard way! I keep some small candies by my bed and bathroom that I will eat if I wake up in the middle of the night. You can eat sugar if you feel the onset of an episode and it will make it go away much faster.

Happy to report I have not experienced a hypoglycemic attack in years since realizing what was going on. Hope this helps some of you! You are not alone!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Ok wow so strange I never even thought about checking the Internet for this issue.. I think in the back of my mind I was always embarrassed about this happening to me I never thought about looking for advice... so my first episode of this happening was in I belive 2006 I was 16 at the time and I was at a friends house, I had spent the night and I was meeting her cousin and just before the arrival of her cousin some ting made me get really sick I was completely nauseated, cold, sweaty i had horrendus stomach pains i was crying from all of the pain i was shakeing uncontrollably cause i belive my body was in shock from sll of the things happening my friend freaked out I had become so pale and weak she almost called 911 I told her to please just get me to the bathroom and she did I was screaming not super loud but enough to be scared to have my friend call my mother to come and pick me up. I spent at least an hour on the toilet at my friends before my mother arrived. She finally arrived and my mother and my best friend pretty much had to carry me out of her house to my mom's car I only lived maybe 2 miles away and I was still completely ill we got maybe 3/4 of a mile and I was in so much pain I nearly passed out I told my mom to pull over immediately and good thing there was construction of a bridge right there and they had a Porta potty I had to use it and I spent another 45 minutes in it still constant release of diarrhea so now I had nearly 2 hours of literally non stop toilet filling diarreha I started to feel a little better I got out of the Porta potty and back in my mom's car and almost immediately when she started driving all of the pain sweating and everything started up again lucky we could see our driveway she pulled in and I couldn't wait for her to stop I booked it to the bathroom where I spent yet another 1.5hours of constant diarreha I cried and screamed darn near the whole time my grandma my mom both came to help they got me cold rags to put on my neck and it took some of the pain away.. after that day I think it was a bi-monthly occurance and in fact I hate to admit this but it's the truth those times I would have them would actually be the only times I would have bowel movements. I always blamed my fast metabolism for never having to "poo" I never went to the doctors and since about 2011 I think I have had a total of 4 maybe 5 of these. I have semi regular bowel movements maybe 2 a week sometimes only once a week but it's been a while since an episode.. however on a lighter note of this everytime I would have one of these I would lose about 10+ lbs.....

I am 77 years old and have had the same condition all my life. dr. said irritable bowel syndrom . The same thing happens every time and I call it my 1, 2, 3 punch. You have cramps, diarrehea, nausea and fainting. You don't know whether to.pass out on toilet and vomit in bucket or lie on.floor. Only get it about every 5 months. My solution is sit on toilet with bucket near and get a cold cloth wipe your face, back of neck, both carotid arteries, wrists, head down and deep breath thru nose and out mouth. It usually makes fainting go away but you may have to use toilet a few more times. If you have Immodium take it. Hope this helps God Bless.