Hi everyone. I'm a regular pot smoker, I am on day 3 of recovery. I got a joint rolled, but do I smoke it? Let's say I smoke real slow so I don't cough and I don't exactly suck so it doesn't harm my scabs or whatever, and I just upped the water intake. Do you think it would be okay? My biggest fear is like infection or something?

Cold yogurt or smoothie to coat the throat.nothing to acidy.large clean glass straight pipe.good smoke.small piece on screen then quickly load pipe about 3 inches then let go cart and clean out pipe leaving room for lots of clean air to follow...do not choke blow out and water then yogurt....this will help make sure there is no restriction in your pipe .make sure hit is small enough not to cough....

gosh damn, I'm looking for answers, but everyone on this thread is responding to that numb nut that said marijuana is more harmful than cigarettes, damn you and your belief that caused an outrage!!!!!

This does not come from a judgmental standpoint (I'm a constant vape-er, former smoker, and medical marijuana user), but, AS A MEDICAL SCIENTIST, I must tell you that smoking marijuana can eventually kill you. Because of the smoke. When you burn marijuana, you inhale tar. Tar is a carcinogen.

FACT: marijuana smoke has 4x the amount of tar that cigarette smoke has.

To be fair to marijuana, cigarettes have a lot of other nasty chemicals, and nicotine itself (even if vaporized) is a known carcinogen. Cigarette smoke is, by FAR, much more carcinogenic than marijuana smoke, even taking into account it only has a quarter the amount of tar that marijuana smoke has.

To be fair to smokers, hamburgers and ANY grilled food or crisped/burned food (like toast) has carcinogens, and everyone eats these. Obviously the amount of carcinogens received from eating charred food is much less than what a person receives who regularly inhales smoke, and still much less than the total amount of carcinogens present in a cigarette. But even so. Everybody on Earth regularly takes in known carcinogens that nobody bothers anybody about.

Marijuana, in vaporizer form, is MUCH healthier for you than smoking it (even if using a bubbler or bong to filter the smoke). The reason? Because SMOKE is CARCINOGENIC. More so than crispy hamburgers, since a larger amount of it is going into the body (unless you are smoking an entire hamburger, or eating an entire hamburger that has been burned completely to carbon ash). In addition, smoke goes into our lungs, where it builds up tar, which can cause breathing problems like asthma and emphysema. TAR IS BAD FOR YOU, PERIOD. TAR COMES FROM INHALING SMOKE. ANY KIND OF SMOKE.

So, as a scientist, i urge all you smokers who are enjoying the many wonderful qualities that marijuana contains (health-promoting and otherwise) to also consider the quality of your own life. Make the healthier choice to use a vaporizer instead of smoking.

Back to the tonsillectomy discussion.... I'm getting my tonsils out on Friday and have decided to forego blasting the open wounds in my throat with vapor. Nicotine is an irritant, and some things contained in e-juices are also irritants, such as malic acid (a common flavor enhancer) and propylene glycol, which is usually the liquid "carrier" solution (unless you are smoking an all vegetable glycerin blend with absolutely nothing except THC present). I don't know if THC is an irritant, but they don't sell blends like this at a store (they add flavors and colors to the solutions to make it taste/look better), so you would have to make it yourself at home, which is time-consuming and I can't tell you for sure whether or not it's going to irritate your raw throat.

My personal plan for tonsillectomy recovery is to use a nicotine patch to keep the nicotine (which is an irritant by itself) off of my throat, and to use a marijuana tincture to drop under my tongue (or mix into beverages) to take advantage of the barf-stopping property of marijuana, but without having to inhale vapors past my raw open throat. You can look up how to make tinctures online if you can't find one at a dispensary. In lieu of a tincture, you could get the same effect by cooking marijuana into something you would be able to eat or drink. Someone above suggested brownies. I'm avoiding this because I don't want to struggle to swallow sticky brownies. I suggest as an alternative to brew a marijuana tea.

I don't want to accidentally cough and rip off a scab. I read some horror stories about people returning to the hospital to get a bleeding open scab suctioned for clots and re-cauterized without anesthesia. FACT: 1 in 100 people post-tonsillectomy will have to return to the hospital within 2 weeks because of bleeding that occurs when a scab cracks or falls off too soon. Since roughly the same number of children who had a tonsillectomy experience bleeding (FACT), we can conclude that there are a lot of factors involved in keeping your throat from bleeding (many of which you cannot control for). With that said, YOU CAN CONTROL THE THINGS YOU DO that would INCREASE YOUR RISK OF A BLEED. From testimonials I read online, some adults who experienced a bleed did something they knew they probably shouldn't have, such as eating a sharp food or over-exerting themselves. Or smoking.

Minimize your risk of bleeding after surgery the best you can! Every little bit of risk you add increases the chances you will experience a bleed! If bleeding and slower healing are more appealing to you than refraining from smoking or using a vaporizer for at least until your scabs come off (about 10 days), then that's your choice. It would really suck though if you didn't have a backup plan and you found out right away that you absolutely cannot handle the pain or control yourself from coughing when smoke or vapor hits your throat. Have a backup plan ready.

If you're choosing to add risk in one department, do yourself a BIG FAVOR and make sure to subtract risk in another. Get a humidifier to counteract some of the throat dryness you will experience.

And most of all, if people make an informed decision to choose a higher risk, don't give them grief! We all choose risk every time we get into a car or eat a hamburger.

That's my two cents. Peace out.

One thing I forgot to add: If you regularly smoke and you all-of-a-sudden completely quit smoking, your lungs will start sloughing off tarry mucus from their linings. How do your lungs do this? By forcing you to cough! You do NOT want to be in tonsillectomy recovery and unable to control coughing. This greatly increases your risk of a throat bleed (not to mention sounds incredibly painful).

My suggestion to regular smokers is to STOP SMOKING A COUPLE WEEKS BEFORE surgery. You don't have to quit whatever substance you were smoking, you just have to not SMOKE it. Use a vaporizer, a patch, brownies, whatever. Maybe use it as an opportunity to get used to whatever backup method you chose for when you are in recovery.

This applies to marijuana and cigarette smokers alike, because your lungs shedding mucus upon quitting smoking applies to every kind of smoke (even from herbal cigarettes), regardless of whether or not you are getting the same substance in a form other than smoke.

If you waited too long to quit smoking and you are in recovery and can't stop coughing, you have two options (assuming your cough isn't from a virus, in which case you just have to suck it up and you definitely should not add smoke on top of the mix). You can continue to cough, and risk a throat bleed, or you can attempt a puff or two of smoke every now and then to lessen the amount you are coughing, which also risks a throat bleed (smoke will dry out and irritate your throat, so personally I would only do this if I was coughing a LOT). This might get you to stop coughing so much (or it might make you cough more, because the smoke is going to irritate your throat badly). It's a lose-lose, and personally I would stick with the coughing and not smoke. Please, if you're reading this in advance of your surgery, don't wait until it's too late.

Frankly, smoking during tonsillectomy recovery (at least 10 days post-surgery) is never a good idea. I don't even recommend you smoke to stop coughing, I merely post this to bring to your attention that the only way to stop post-smoking cough is to smoke. I hope this convinces you to stop smoking a week or two before your surgery so you aren't in that boat.

What chemicals are in weed? That's the most ridiculous thing Ive even heard!

I had my surgery monday and really want to smoke some marijuana. Im not to sure if the actual smoke is what causes infection but I can defently say if your hitting from a pipe, bong, vapor, ect, Anything with suction that is what causes blood clot, just like sucking through a straw (as they say not too) . Try a good old knife hit, slowly breathe the smoke in without any suction involed. Hope tjis helps

Hey I am 24 years old and got my tonsils taken out Tuesday, the pain sucks really really bad. I went back to work the next day and everyday since I'm a mechanic and I ran out of my liquid hydrocodon so I picked up a blunt and it's helping me a lot. When I smoke it numbs my throats and I can drink or eat whatever and I'm on day 6

In NO way, shape, or form is this statement HELPFUL or even FACTUAL, as you may believe so yourself. I'm bummed that all the responses on this thread have to be focused on informing you of our mistaken "facts"... do some research next time, just a suggestion before you decide to tell other people false information.

I am on night 6 of recovery and would love to hit an oil pen right now. Anyone have suggestions or prior experience with this? I need this pain to go away!! I'm also sooo hungry. Not like getting high will help hahah.

You’re a dumbass. Marijuana has no toxic chemicals whatsoever, do your research next time buddy.

Hello, just wanted to give you a quick heads up that you're uninformed and marijuana does not contain any toxic chemicals. The only bad part about it could be the medium in which it is smoked, i.e. a cigar wrap which would contain tobacco. Those vulnerable tissues are simply being exposed to smoke from a medical plant. The heat and dryness is the only real threat to your throat. Hope this helps, and Dsdesk I hope you would open a book once in awhile instead of wagging your finger at the younger generation about all of this "reefer madness" Mumbo jumbo

The plant matter in weed is partially toxic, won't kill but correct can damage the healing process. But what about vape for dabs? Is my question?

hey you complete buffoonbesides the fact about marijuana "that you may already know" what facts did you leave us with to make more informed decisions

. My friend if you smoke marijuana while recovering make sure you hit it through some ice to cool it down. Or preheat your overn to 200 mix about .5-1 gram of weed into two tablespoons of peanut butter. Bake for 25 and wham you got liquid weed-nut butter. You get the good effects and you don't inhale anything toxic

I'm a 16 year old girl and I just got my tonsils out seven days ago. I'm a huge stoner, there isn't a moment I'm not high because it keeps me calm. When I take my meds (I was taking ibuprofen and Motrin until I ran out so I've been doing children's Motrin by the hour) I can take very little tiny hits from my bowl, but certainly not my bong or a joint/blunt. It makes me cough a little bit which hurts really bad. The pain in my throat and ears is excruciating when my meds wear off. Every day I wake up thinking "I can't smoke, I fear I'll f***ing die" and then when the pain begins to reside after taking a dosage I always feel an overwhelming urge to light up. I'm usually very good with self control, just not with marijuana. I was told by everyone not to smoke, including my fellow stoners. Easy for them to say, they get to stay high!

The silver lining, if you choose to see it, is it ends up becoming a 1-2 week T(olerance) break, so when you can spark again, you'll get blasted almost immediately.