Hey I'm in the same boat!! 57 year old lady; business owner, never smoked. Following so perhaps I can learn from you. Thanks for posting

I stumbled across this discussion while looking for the reason I have so much mucus production, let's say I"m drowning in it. And I'm heartened to see I'm not alone. Chronic sinusitis is my bane but I just had the flu on top of a sinus problem and now I'm in hell. All of your suggestions sound intriguing. I am changing up my diet to include more fresh foods. I don't eat dairy at all and soy is the biggest mucus producer so stay away. I just had surgery to clear up this problem, ha ha. It's clear that the doctors don't have the answers but these forums are great so we know we're not alone. Thanks to everyone who's sharing. The probiotics sound interesting and I'll start those. Right now I'm on antibiotic, Claritin and a decongestant. I'm getting better but still feel like c**p.

Thank You.. Ill take your suggestions to heart! Blessings

Interesting i will give it a try , i suffer mild symptoms like the ones above and yes i do consume a lot of sugar , and must admit when i clean my diet up the symptoms go away

I thought I was about to lose my mind with all of this!
I'm a 54yo woman and have been suffering this horrible indignation, like all of you since Nov, 2003 after suffering a bad cold. I realized something was wrong when that gentle "after sickness cough" decided to become a grown Grizzly Bear Cough! When everyone at work started looking at me sideways and one gal actually told me to go home, I knew something had to give.
I went through more steroids and nerd meds than I care to remember. And the creative ways they wanted me to take them?!? OH MY GOSH!!! I thought they were supposed to be EDUCATED medical doctors! Not trying to play hop-scotch and twister at the same time with my medicine, NOT knowing if it would work or not. Crazy fools!
But if that's not enough, I even got to make two trips to the Mayo Clinic. THEY most certainly would be able to do SOMETHING, right?!?! *sighs* You got it, utter failure!
I did finally find my ultimate TOTAL RELIEF when I went to get help for weight loss and was put on Phentermine and Topiramate. The Phentermine raised my metabolism and shrieked my mucous membranes.
OMG...I could BREATH again! No more drip, drip. No, hatching cough. No clearing of the throat. No more thick mucous in my throat in the morning. No more dried mucous on my putter nose that no one tells me about.
Unfortunately, this is only a temporary bandaid. This isn't meant to be taken over a long period of time.
Went to see another doctor. He says It's all in my mind. LOL After reading all of your stories, I feel so much better that I'm not alone. Matter of fact, zI think I'm going to send my doctor the link to this page so he can see I'm NOT the only one!
You folks have given me hope through our mutual suffering. Hang in there for those who still do.

My son has this problem. I'm going to have him tested for food allergies/sensitivities. While not the most common symptom, this can be from a gluten, dairy, sugar, or other sensitivity. Hope everyone finds an answer. Prayers are with all of you!

I have the same issue with mucous in the throat. Sometimes, in the morning, it involves post nasal drip, but most of the time it emanates from the throat. Have been given all the pat answers like GERD, sinus, etc with no real help. My own solution is to chew peppermint gum if I cannot stop the throat clearing, and that seems to help. After a while, it stops the mucous from collecting. But it will return if I eat something again.
I think it is overactive glands in the throat, but nobody seems interested in this and nobody has a solution, They look askance when I said I chewed peppermint gum, but the peppermint is a decongestant and clears the nose and throat at the same time. One doctor even said peppermint is no good because it relaxes the sphincter on the stomach leading to more acid escaping I suppose. But until they have a better solution, this is what works for me. Good luck everyone and keep reading and pressing your doctors to help find a solution. As an aside, I just returned from my opthalmologist who said that I might have overactive tear glands because I have too much fluid in my eyes, and even surgery to reposition my tear ducts did not resolve the problem. He is sending me to another colleague who does botox injections to relax the gland in the eye to try to control the over production of tears. It’s a wonderful life but you have to be your own doctor and direct them where to look.

Hi: Yes, I have the same problem. I am a 73-year-old female and it is terrible. I have been to an ENT doctor who also thought it was GERD. He referred me to a gastroenterologist, but I don't think that is going to help. I have taken medications also for allergies and GERD, to no avail. It seems the doctors never have answers, and I am getting tired paying them the co-pay of $35, as I live only on Social Security, a limited income. I have also tried the home remedies, not helping. I would just like to get an actual diagnosis of what is causing it, so that maybe I would know what I was treating. But, my ENT doctor is a jerk.

I believe it is a gluten allergy. If I have gluten I will fill up with mucus in my throat, like I am drowning in it. I have to suck on Halls constantly or I will cough till I vomit. It takes a while to get it out of your system. I would try it.

Hi all
I'm 52
This cough, mine is.....as so many describe, constant throughout the day, sometimes coughing so bad it takes my breath away making it hard to get my breath. It's like there's a feather dangling in my through, tickling till I cough,( it's the mucas)
I've been and had camara up me nose, chest x rays, allergy pills, allergy nose drops, allergy stuff. All clear thankfully.
I read one of these messages on here about milk other drinking milk or diary stuff, I've not drank milk now for months and months, it has helped a lot, for me especially at night, oh and at night, weirdly it's worse if I sleep on my left side, so I sleep on the right.
Spicy stuff, is no for me including Brown sauce, curries etc, etc ......salad cream, that's really not good for me.i can be coughing in minutes after that stuff
I'm interested in other theories ,I'm thinking (just my thoughts, I'm not qualified in any way at all) I'm thinking, something I'm eating is telling my body to produce more mucas, I'm a lot better for giving up milk, but most menus nearly all the food has milk in it.
I still have a cough but no where near what it was.
Mucas all day is not the ideal,and I've had it so long I'm sort of used to it,sad really.
I am glad I had the essay and checks, if you having had these done,I'd say why not..tick it off the list of possibilities.
I hope this has helped someone, if you disagree with anything I've mentioned, please by all means put me right with the facts.
Good luck with this,
Take care
Martin

Giving up milk, this helped a lot for me,
Salad cream or mayonase is really bad for me, coughing in minutes,
Just a thought.may or may not help
Good luck, I've had this for ages,
Regards

Ok, salad cream or mayonase,seems to be my worst food stuff ,creating mucas and coughing in minutes.
If you think food is a key to this, what do you think your worst food may be.
It y be something I could try and do without
Just a thought.

Same condition here. Thick mucous in back of throat and I’m clearing throat constantly. Been to ENTs, allergists, pulmonologist and haven’t gotten clear answer. Pulmonologist said it’s allergies. ENT ruled out allergies, nasal infections, and acid reflux. Prescribed an antidepressant to dull the clearing of throat response. I never picked up that prescription because that is not getting to the root of what’s going on. that’s only treating a symptom that they can’t give me a clear answer for. It’s been a year and a half of this. It’s so frustrating. If anyone has an answer please let us know.