How are you doing now? You describe EXACTLY what I am experiencing. ENT points fingers at the GI and vice versa. I have given up caffeine, alcohol, most fats, etc. and have been on medication night and morning. I am still told my throat is inflamed and that mucus is "puddling" since it can't pass through. Why it's inflamed is the mystery. Some days are worse than others but even on a relatively good day, the goop is there. Have you found any success?

I have exactly the same problem. I'm a singer and coming up to 2 years with the same symptoms as yours. and yes I'm angry - so many 'experts' and so little insight or even understanding of the problem. Where to from here?

I have always had a nervous cough - but the last few years I have this mucus problem.  I went to an EENT who gave me steriods for my sinuses - however, I stopped taking them because of the weight gain, and Krogers saline spray clears my sinues as well. With both sprays the mucus continued in my throat.

THEN.....I started drinking fresh lemon water - 4 glasses before I ever ate anything to clean my system out.  This helped both the mucus and the cough - but not entirely.  Then I added pepper to my lemon water and that REALLY helped both the mucus and the cough. I am 100% better - but some mucus remains.  I am hoping to do this naturally and without drugs - however, if I take mucinex after the pepper/lemon water - I completey dry up.  I drink the lemon water all thoughout the day using just one lemon and refilling my container.  Please give it a try - you might be surprised.  let me know if it works for you.

Hello - I too am a sufferer of this awful condition & have given up on all standard medical solutions.......I would suggest you stop wasting your money going for expensive tests such as endoscopy etc (been there got the t-shirt) as every doctor I have seen admits there is no known cure or "miracle drug "for it. The best spray I ever found was Beconase but it is steroid based & has to be used sparingly, then I used Flixonase for a while but my body became immune to it & now it is no use whatsoever. So I have now found myself at the naturopath & herbalists door & found a website where so far a lot of it makes sense. Apart from the usual culprit, smoking, apparently the main dietary triggers can be dairy products (milk, cottage cheese, butter & yoghurt), Soy products, excessive meat, sugar, caffeine, salt & black tea & not drinking enough water. I am guilty of several of these, especially too much meat, salt & tea & I hate drinking plain water. As well as the dietary impact of the trigger foods, apparently if you are dehydrated it naturally makes the mucus even thicker.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

Have just had my worst night ever, I woke up at 4.15am suffocating & gasping for breath - my nose was totally blocked & mucus all down the back of my throat..........it was terrifying! Am now scared to go back to sleep & am drinking a large mug of peppermint/chamomile herbal tea, which is definitely loosening the mucus. Another mug & I may be able to get back to sleep for a while...........good luck everyone!

I suffer from this also. I am ex smoker and I think that contributed to this issue. I've found that working out helps to rid my body of the phlegm. I've noticed if I go a few days without breaking a sweat it tends to return. I also boil water and put a towel over my head to breathe in the steam. That has also been pretty helpful.

I've had the same coughing, mucous problem for 6 or seven years as well. I find a lot of relief from rubbing a little Vicks vaporub on my throat and under my nostrils.

I am 50 years old and have similar problem for over 2 years. I guess I have to live with it as I earned it with pan masala and tobacco, which I have given some years back. Oral pathologist and ENT are not finding any fault. Chest X-ray is clear. My doctor relative says ignore it.

Saline gargle morning and night time before sleep should do well.

I have the EXACT same problem. Morning ritual, dry heaving due to trying to get rid of the gunk. Gets even worse during sports and often makes breathing annoying. I am 18 and have had this problem for about 2 years now. My Dad has the same issue as well and has been dealing with it for about 3 years now at the age of 60. Quite maddening really as no doctor has been able to diagnose or treat him. As a result of his inability to find help i havent even bothered looking.

About 3 months ago, I started getting mucus in my throat that I could not get rid of.   I had my pulmonologist, prescribe a Flutter valve, which loosen the mucus, then I am able to cough it up, this takes about 10-15 minutes.  I found that when I follow by gargling with warm salt water or a few drops of white vinegar in the warm water, I can stay mucus free all day.  I do this twice a day, for about two weeks and now the mucus is least and I do it once a day.  Good luck people. 

If the culprit is GERD (too much stomach acid) which is commonly the problem with mucous then peppermint would be THE WORST thing to take. I find that a little VICK"S vapour rub under my nose and a little on my throat the chest work really WELL for loosing up mucous. Try it and see if it works.

I have been suffering with the same condition for 3 years and sometimes i lose my voice for days. I cannot offer any comfort im afraid as i too have received no answers from the medical profession at all and i have spent a fortune on medication that never works. I am at a point of desperation.

tsims1 wrote:

Guest wrote:

Naturapaths & Herbalists I have found to be the biggest rip offs of all and they all say the same thing like a broken record all the time. They say... u have too much Yeast or Candida and histimine triggers allergies. So stop basically every half tasty food in your life and suffer.
Well I have done all that and it makes basically no difference in my experience. Mucus still there but they always wish to try push u to say it a bit better--- but no. I am convinced these professions live 99% off the placebo affect.

Usual foods they get u stay away from being Dairy, Sugar, Soy, Meat, Coffee, alcohol, wheat, grains, etc, etc... leaving nothing left worth tasting- now live off that forever only for a placebo type benefit- yer good luck.

I am 34 with regular allergies (hepa air filter always on) and usually right before or after bedtime is when it's at it's worst. What's odd is that it's never in my nose, just the throat. That's why I'm thinking it might be stomach acid on what's causing this. I have had heart burn on and off for over the past 10 years. Also, I figured my toothpaste might be triggering it. I usually use Colgate, Aquafresh, or anything with the word 'Whitening' on the label, with a chaser of Scope or Listerine. I'm going to switch to something like Biotene and see if it helps. Has anyone else noticed that it might be their toothpaste?

I have had similar problems for several years too. I've had 2 sinus surgeries and they say my sinus is always inflamned. No Dr.'s have answers. My mucus is causing lung problems now. I'm at the end of my rope too. They say I have NO allergies. HA

I too have had the over active mucous glands as my doctor calls it since 2010. I actually feared HIV and my immune system getting depleted but it was not the case.

In my research of this condition I have found many either had flu or glandular fever type flu that lead to this condition on continuous basis OR some nose surgery work has been performed that lead to this problem. Also over active mucous glands can be caused by a lowering immune system by an underlying disease. As I said above Post Nasal Drip and over active mucous glands is common in HIV or any other immune definacy illnesses. Also prolonged coldflu can cause a long run of these symptoms as well.

I greatly understand how it affects our day to day life in nearly every aspect. It really can be a quality of life issue and I have found doctors to be useless in this condition. Much like when having Chronic Fatigue- they are useless.

It a difficult one to overcome and find a solution... as having so much mucous it is difficult to know if it causing reflux or reflux causing the mucous. Here is a list of all I have tried with minimal success;

Sudafedrine (60mg x3 daily)

Singulair for allegy
cetirizine hydrochloride
mucinex

Nexium- for acid reflux

Azalzy (Nasal Spray)

Flovine 200 or 400mg – Recommended.

Hypotrophene Bromine (0.3%)

Lemon water

Neti POT- salt drainage

I would say the NETI POT is quite good but naturally no cure. As I need to use every morning to thin it out for most of the day... then at night to be able to sleep. Yet still wake up after maybe 4-5 hours due to thick mucus cloggin me up.

Spending the afternoon at work needing to swallow as opposed to spit out does not help the day. Using up all sick days plus more as some days siimply wake up with so much not even NETI POT is much help.

The BEST overall temporary solution is tramadol for me being a medium strength painkiller. As it seems to stop the production of mucus as much which I notice greatly. But ur body gets used to them after a couple of months. Same with thinners or anti allergy sprays provide temporay solution but it always comes back.