HI all,

I figured I would ask the posters here who are on the diet- what are the bread brands allowed? I have to go grocery shopping and since I start monday, thought Id get a leg up.

Thanks

Ah it's so nice to be on Weight Watchers where I can buy whatever type of bread I want. I'm eating so much more than I would be on Bernstein's, I can have treats to satisfy cravings, I'm healthier (my dr agrees from all my tests - much healthier), no stupid injections to take, a lot less expensive, I can go out with my friends to restaurants, and I don't have to worry about Weight Watchers kicking me out if I have a bad week or two.

Oh, I'm also down 112 lbs so far. 18 lbs to go.

I'd recommend it over Bernstein any day (and so would my family doctor, so she tells me).

yeah that works too i guess....if you want it to take the next 2 years.

not to mention, those cravings that you are giving into...those dont go away after ur done your diet... so whats gonna happen? you're gonna chomp right down on that cake like its good for you. Dr. B's diet also teaches you to control and fight those cravings, so when ur done, you dont end up jumping right back into the sh*t habits that WW loves to keep you on. Dr. B 4 life, bit***s.

i lost 50 lbs in just under 2 months. nothing works better, take ur weight watchers commercial and get the f**k up outta here!

tommy veritas

Why all the defensiveness and anger TommyVeritas? So what if you lost 50 lbs in 2 months?? Try keeping it off without spending a hell of a lot of money on the so-called maintenance program. I doubt you will keep it off once you go back to eating like a regular human being and not starving yourself on that useless, expensive diet. Furthermore, any diet that says you don't need to exercise is not healthy and just another fad diet. I bet you will gain that 50 pounds back.

I have heard that Weight Watchers is the best diet out there. Apparently it teaches you how to eat well and it teaches you portion control. And the best part is you can actually enjoy food without starving yourself like the Bernstein diet. I have never been on it but I have heard great things about it.

Having said all that, I have lost 26 lbs since February and have not gained anything back just by healthy living. I exercise everyday and eat sensibly. That is the best way to lose weight and keep it off.

I have done the Dr. Bernstein diet several times over the last 10 years. Whether you like the diet or not, it does work if you stick to it and I don't know of any diet that works better for FAST weight loss. At the end of the day, almost all diets work -- it's just a personal choice as to how you want to lose it.

I will say that although I support the diet, I have heard from people who have been thrown out of the program. I don't think it's really about Dr. Bernstein being mean or vindictive.. He has a program that works when it's followed and it's not good business for him to have people on the program who don't have the discipline to follow it and then post on boards like this saying "the diet doesn't work". I don't blame him. If people can't live without chocolate cake and are prone to cheating, they should try those Weight Watchers programs where they can eat what they want and take 2 years to lose 15 lbs....

Just my opinion... :-)

..I think the reason for your mother being kicked out was because he wishes only serious persons to be on this diet.. if your not willing to remake over your health and life.. then he has no choice but to have you NOT waste his time or your money.. other wise your mom would be paying for the rest of her life because of this trip .. and that trip... not being mean.. just showing you the other side of things..:-) :-D

I was on the Berstein diet about 6 years ago. While I did loose weight (about 15 lbs in 2 months) without a lot of hunger, I found the diet extremely restrictive and hard to follow. I would agree with the comment that many of his 'nurses' are overweight and have an attitude. The 'doctor' who sees you after about 4 weeks is also unfriendly and severe in his attitude. Kevin Trudeau has a new book "The Weight Loss Cure" which is based on injections of hCG (derived from the urine of pregnant women). It has striking similarity to the Bernstein diet in that it is very low cal, you are not allowed to use any oil-based creams and soaps, it promises fast weight loss without sagging skin and no exercise is required (my hair was almost standing on end when I read the book and I'm wondering if any tests have ever been done on Bernstein's injections to determine if they are, in fact, vitamin B as he claims). Most people I know who have been on Bernstein have regained all their weight and more or had severe health problems, including stroke.

A word to the wise, if you have not yet purchased Trudeau's new book DON'T - the hCG injections are not available anywhere in North America yet this is the only thing that enables the diet to apparently 'work' at the speed it does. It's just one more SCAM perpetrated on those who need it the least. Dr. Bernstein and Kevin Trudeau should both be put out of business for good.

One last comment - I, for one, believe the story about the woman who was kicked out of the Bernstein program because she had gained back some weight before reaching her goal. I'm sure I read something in the Bernstein literature about a stipluation requiring people to either follow the diet or else.

The kind of person who gains ten pounds in a week is the same kind of person who loses ten in a week. When you starve yourself, which is what this diet does, your body overcompensates when you actually give it calories. I have seen people on this diet and it freaks the heck out of me. Healthy weight loss should be around one to two pounds per week and involve excercise to build muscle which is what actually burns calories. Stay away from this diet! I have a couple of clients who have done this diet and besides what I have just mentioned, they also seem to have mild mood changes and they are losing weight so fast that their skin doesn't even have time to shrink with them giving them bags of skin around the face ect. Just don't do it, if you are willing to pay this kind of money go to a nutritionist and a personal trainer who will help you lose weight slowly but for good and for your health!

Well I am one of those who was kicked out. They dont want people who struggle to lose weight. I had lost 65 lbs and then due to travelling and having absolutely no control over food -- I of course would gain 5 or 9 lbs. Generally it was water weight due to salt content and a little bit of bad food.

Well, this happened 3 times and then they told me that I cannot return -- they 1st made me pay 1 months fees, and then within 1 week told me not to return and also did not give my money back.............

SO its all about $$$$ s I think.

The dr B diet works really well. but i also do not feel that they are supportive at all. I gained 2lbs in 3 weeks and i had to sign the contract as well. The nurses are always snappy, and seem only to care about the job and not the patients. They don't try and HELP you and give you advice that you need to keep going with the diet. Which i feel would be helpful. But, if you can handle forking out the cash for some rude service to loose a couple pants sizes, its awesome. I will continue on the diet b/c i don't think there really are any other alternitives out there for me.

Hi All
My Mom's been on this diet before and hightly recommends it to me. What I'm lookinf for here is the Approved food list and shopping list for Canada. If anyone has them could you please pass them along please please please?

Is noone concerned about their health? Losing weight this way is absolutely "effective" I guarantee if you starve yourself you will lose weight. But will it stay off? What's the point in spending all that money and hurting your body if you are not even going to be able to keep the weight off?

For those who have lost weight on this diet, did you experience sagging skin? Are you able to eat a normal 2000 calorie diet after this program? Or are you restricted in eating for the rest of your life?

There is no normal number of calories to sustain weight. It depends on your weight and your activity. After reaching goal on any diet it is a matter of slowly experimenting in adding back HEALTHY foods to see how many more calories can be added before weight creeps up or water begins to be retained. I for one retain alot of water from eating refined carbs and therefore avoid them as much as possible. To go back to the way of eating that led to the weight gain will of course cause the weight to come back. So yes, you are restricted in eating for the rest of your life.....it is a lifestyle thing. You are indeed what you eat. But it sure is worth it because one will spare themselves from alot of health related problems from overweight.

Dr B works!!! If you get kicked off you are not following the diet and if you're not there to follow the diet why go and spend money? There are a lot more dynamics to someone being kicked off than is implied in a blog. There are policies and procedures that need to be followed and think about it; it's a medically monitored diet- if a poerson is cheating and not serious or gaining 10 lbs in 2 weeks they are a liability and it's not just about the nurses or "the monster" it's about getting serious and caring about your health. Is it healthy to gain 10 lbs in 2 weeks. That's a huge strain on your heart, liver and kidneys. If someone can't take responsibility for their own actions then they should not be on such a regimented diet. Everybody has a choice about what they put in their mouths and if I lost a ton of weight and spent a ton of money even if I went on a fab trip I would make wiser choices to not put the weight back on.

The diet is great you can lose 16-20 lbs per month. And you always see medical staff so you know it's safe and you're monitored closely. IT WORKS. My dad lost 40 lbs in 7 weeks and my mom lost 37 in 7 weeks. They feel great and they traveled while on it only gained 1lb each. And have kept the weight off.