Mine started a few weeks ago with intense pain after eating a banana, now I never know what will trigger it. It is happening more often lately and I have even thrown up from the pain. I found that taking a vicoden eased the pain, otherwise it last for 4 hours or so. I have had a ctscan, barium swallow and today had a upper endoscopy for polyps in my stomach, but after hearing the other stuff that has been happening my Dr. wants to do an ultrasound of my gallbladder. After checking some other websites I am wondering if that is it, or maybe the pancresis .

I have to say, this is a great resource, and I have to thank you all. I swear, when I explain to people, "No, the pain is 10/10, I feel like I'm dying right now," most people are unable to comprehend. It's not necessarily about how much it hurts (which is a LOT, I feel like I'm being stabbed repeatedly with a very sharp knife), but the fact that such pain must mean that something is SERIOUSLY wrong.

As for me, I had light back pain for about a month. I thought it was from a car accident I was in, or maybe I was sleeping wrong. Then after one night of heavy drinking, I woke up in INCREDIBLE pain in my stomach (a four inch circle radiating from the center between my belly button and xiphoid process) and back. It was downright paralyzing. Luckily I was sooo tired that I was able to fall back asleep. I thought it was food poisoning.

Two days after that, the pain started occurring daily, with occasionally a slight aching on my left side around the waist (I honestly think it might only be muscle tension down there). It seemed to have 'some' connection with when I ate, but I couldn't pin it down more than that. I went to Urgent Care, they took a blood test and prescribed prilosec to me. That didn't do anything. A week later (ugh), I got the blood test back, I tested positive for one type of H. Pylori. I'm almost through my antibiotics cycle, and the antibiotics have taken the edge off of my sickness, but I still can hardly eat anything.

There are many things that make me think it's not an ulcer. For one, the doctors didn't seem too convinced by my H. Pylori count, but prescribed antibiotics just to 'cover that base.' Secondly, I can't eat most grains (spaghetti noodles, wheat bread, white bread = nope). In fact, just about the only two things I've been able to eat without paralyzing pain have been beef and oatmeal. Many of the staples of food that you're supposed to be able to eat while on an ulcer turn me inside out. I've looked at Celiac disease, but I'm not convinced I have those symptoms. One other interesting thing (which my mom pointed out) was that I may have drank some contaminated water at Coachella / Palm Springs (in the desert) right before my back pain started. I don't know what it would have been contaminated with per se, but it's an interesting point to note.

Oh, and the other thing is, I've always heard ulcers are kind of aches. This is like, "Jesus f*****g Christ, someone is ripping my innards up with a machete!" Has anyone had a stomach ulcer, and could they describe the pain of that?

In any case, I have to wait and hopefully I clear up, but if not, I have batteries of tests to go through. I am in living hell, and it's nice to know others have been through and gotten better.

I have also been having those stomach pains. I have not eaten red meat in about a year, and now I have noticed that the few times I do eat it, the pain comes rushing in about and hour or so later. The same thing happens when I eat fried food and on occasion chicken. One day I was in so much pain that I decided to buy some Rolaids and Tums. Oddly enough after having 3 tablets in about a half hour or so the pain started to diminish. I don't know if it will work for you, but go ahead and give it a try.
I hope this helps you out a bit.

It helps ease to pain.

I know it's not a cure, but it helps relieve most of the pain.

I can help..

I'm 80 years old, when I was a young man my mother said you have to take vatamins...Take one a day. I took them for years and for years I had these terrible stomach aches, every day. One day while at work, I was building a duplex for my dad, and it was lunch time, we get a board and place it at our back, sit on the floor and eat. One of the stucco guys said" phil why aren't you eating" I said because of the darn stomach ache. He proceded to tell me.....You know you remind me of a guy with the same problem, and it turned out to be the ...One a day vitamins he was taking...The next they all went away... I said your kidding...thats what I'm taking....I quit the one a days and the very next day all my stomach problems...GONE. True story.

I went to doctors for all kinds of tests, I thought I had stomach cancer.

I hope this is helpful or maybe someone with stomach problems can read this and it's useful.

_[removed]_.......6/22/2008 4:48 pm

I've experience much of these same pains. I have been food allergy tested and now I avoid these foods with everything in me because the pain is so severe. I also have been prescribed a life saving Epi Pen because these symptoms can eventually lead to a fatal shock. Allergy testing is pretty easy.

Hope this helps

ruled out pancreatitis? one cause of pancreatitis is gall stones which can cause doctors to overlook the pancreatitis which is causin the real pain and just immediately see the gall bladder and take that out without actually taking care of the problem

i have severe stomach pain after eating eggs it feels like a burning feeling in my stomach. this began after i had my 4th child. before this i could eat all the eggs i wanted without a problem. there is other certain food that i eat that gives me this pain. sometimes i wake up in the middle of the night with this bad stomach pain ( 10/10) and then it turns into contraction like pain and i cant sleep? i have had these attacks during the day too. what is wrong with my stomach?

I too have been experiencing the same symptoms for almost 6 months now. I’m a 27 yr old male, 5’4 height, and 203 lbs at the time. It all started with a feeling similar to a muscle pull on the right side just below the ribcage. After 3 months it progress and the pain was worst. It began to radiate to my chest, armpit, shoulder blade, stomach, and back. Around the stomach, chest, and armpit area it felt more like mini needles stabbing me at every position. I went to see my Family Dr and was told it was stress, smoking, weight, and possible kidney stones. Went to have the x-ray and was negative for stones, went for the blood work and was told I have a virus called helicobacter pylori and high triglercide. So I thought it was only stress. With in 2 months I’ve lost 30 pounds to 173 lb and have been maintaining it for the past few months. I’ve also quit smoking and drinking for 6 months and run 2 miles a day at 5MPH eating nothing but fruits veggies and healthy food. Now my results were opposite and I felt great for the first time in 15 years. But I still continue to get the pain and as days goes by I feel worst and worst. I went in for an Ultrasound and still it was negative. Now I’m pretty much out of luck.
One day I went to one of boys house for a party and straight down a cold beer, from that moment I was cure for a week. Since then I’ve been drinking beer on and off. I’ve try eating anything greasy to healthy food and both ways I get the pain. I’m more than welcome to experience any other alternatives medicine. Thanks.

I cannot believe I have found this forum! I have had the same mysterious, unexplained stomach pain. Mine started about 2 months after the birth of my first child (27yo at the time). It became so severe, I had to quit nursing due to the stress of the pain. It would come many times during the day, whether I ate or not. I was sent to a gastrointerologist, had all the same tests run as everyone else (ultrasound, gall bladder test, endoscopy, etc.). They ruled out gall bladder, ulcer and a few other things. I think the dr. thought I was crazy. The only thing that worked or at least lessened the pain was Nexium. Then mysteriously, as quickly as it came, it left. After 2 months of extreme pain, it was gone. Then came the birth of my second child (30yo then). It happened like clock work...2 months after birth, lasted for 2 months. Weird! I haven't had another episode like that until last week. It came on after I ate lunch one day. Started in the afternoon, felt like regular indigestion. Then progressively got worse. By 9:00 pm I was doubled over. Pain was in the same place, middle stomach, below my ribs. It was coming in long waves. Finally, by 3 a.m. it ended. Scary. I've been taking a Prilosec every morning with a few ounces of water when I first get up. Hasn't happened since, but I'm just waiting. I am so relieved to find that there are others who are just as 'crazy' as me. My husband is the greatest though. He wants me to go back to the dr. I don't see the point. It sounds to me, from everyone else's stories that they haven't made any more headway in this condition since I went 5 years ago.

The last posting was so similar to my story! I started with my pains after my second child (2-4 months after). Was tested for everything under the sun-nothing. The pain was absolutely incredible-upper abdomen right in the middle-not sharp but more like a labor contraction right below the rib cage. It comes in waves like a contraction, too. At it's lowest extreme it runs about a 5 then it intensifies to an unbearable 10. I know exactly what you guys are talking about. After a few agonizing months of this it left as quick as it came. Then after the birth of my third child, again at about 2-4 months post-partum, it happened again. This pattern occurred with the fourth child, too. Finally, I figured out (at least I thought I did) that I had an intolerance to oats (even though lab testing showed no allergy). For about 3 years I was fine if I avoided oats- I was scared to death of eating them. HOWEVER, tonight I ate a BBQ pork chop, some mashed potatoes, green beans, and a sweet tea. About 10-15 minutes after eating, here comes the pain- if you've had it before you know what it feels like. I don't know what the problem is now. It was excruciating for about 1 1/2 hours. Have had moderate back pain for a few days which worsened with this attack. Diarrhea for about 2 days before this also. oh, by the way, I had a child 3 1/2 months ago! There's obviously a connection. If anyone finds what is torturing all of us please help. Anyone who has experienced this knows how truly debilitating this can be. You're literally afraid to eat...it's awful
uswtrpolo@yahoo.com

Well, after reading most of the posts on 9 pages, I might as well make my mark on here. The pain that I've had is also right under the sternum in the upper stomach. I started to experience them while I was a truck driver. No, I'm not a large man. I'm 6'1" and weigh 172. Some of the things that I have ate right before the pain came on were: chili, peanut butter, and cheese dip. The cheese dip episode was one of the worst ones.
I was sitting on the couch eating chips and cheese dip. Of course I ate half the jar. While I was still eating the dip, the pain started. It got worse within a few minutes and then got really worse. I had my wife take me to the ER. On the way to the ER, there was no position at all, to make it more comfortable. When I got to the ER, it took everything within me to keep from jerkin' the slack out of someone to help me. Well, after and M.R.I., Ex-Ray, CT Scan, 2 shots of Morphine, 1 shot of Daladid(spell?), Fenagin(for throwing up), Nexium, and a few other shots, I was told it could be any 1 of 3 things. The doctor did say that I had an inflamed pancreas. I've been to the ER 3 times since then for the same thing and one time stayed in the hospital for 3 days. Anyway, they have never found anything wrong, as they say. Is this one way that our stomachs are saying quit feeding me that junk?

I've just read all the posts and while it's nice to know that I'm not the only one that gets the crazy looks like I am making it all up, it's completely disheartening to know that no one has an answer.
Mine started about 2 years ago... though December 2007 was the first time that the pain was really bad. Before that, I was having just regular stomach issues, and my mom had told me that it sounded like what she had before her gallbladder was removed... so I had an ultrasound, CT with berium and HIDA scan. Of course, nothing was wrong with me. Then in December it got so bad that I went to the ER. I've had kidney stones before, and the pain was the same, just not in the same place. It's like you all say, above my belly button to the right, then gets worse and goes to my back. It took 2 hours for them to get to me (even though it was 4am and I was the only person in the waiting room) and the ER doc gave me the GI cocktail even though the pain was already gone. Then I went home.
Since then, it's happened anywhere from once a month, to bi-weekly, to twice in the same night. And that's the thing, it only happens at night and it's never been after having the same thing for dinner. One night it's shrimp, or chicken terriyaki, or manicotti, or just cereal. I started seeing a specialist and went on Aciphex, which I thought was working until I got it again twice this week. He also gave me more vicodin (which doesn't take the pain away, just makes me so sleepy that I can't fight it anymore) and some anti-spasm pill that dissolves on my tongue (didn't work). I've had another CT with berium (nothing), an endoscopy (mild gastritis) with a biopsy taken (nothing), and am going for another ultrasound in a week and a half.
I've sat down and tried to come up with what each time had in common. It's always the same spot, cold sweats, hurts so bad to move that I try to stop breathing until my boyfriend reminds me that I have to, sometimes I throw up, I can usually go to the bathroom when it starts, but it doesn't help. Then it hit me, as far as I can remember, it's happened when I'm either on my period or spotting in between. I can remember one time freaking out and thinking maybe I had TSS and took the tampon out, but it didn't help. I'm on the Nuvaring, and can't find anything about this type of complication to using it. I'm sure it's just a coincidence, considering so many men complain of this too, but thought I'd throw it out there.
So, I'll go and have another ultrasound and be told AGAIN that nothing is wrong with me.

bashley-- was that anti-spasm medication called Hysocam? Did it mess with your eyes? Make things real bright? If so, I took the same thing and it did not work at all. :-| The last time that I had an episode, it lasted for 1 1/2 days.[/img]